E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bimmerfan52, The BMW Genius

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 08:44 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530I
Model Year: 530i
Default Bimmerfan52, The BMW Genius

Hope all is well!

What is this black hose (next to the two fluid pressure lines of the oscillating motor for the active stabilizer bar)? Are there any special procedure(s) to disconnect and reconnect it?

Thanks!

Daniel
Attached Thumbnails Bimmerfan52, The BMW Genius-pic1.jpg  

Last edited by E60I; 01-07-2014 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:07 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by E60I
Hope all is well!

What is this black hose (next to the two fluid pressure lines of the oscillating motor for the active stabilizer bar)? Are there any special procedure(s) to disconnect and reconnect it?

Thanks!

Daniel
I am well thanks. Hope you are staying warm in sunny CA as I am in AZ.

I guess my first question is if you don't know what it is, why do you want to disconnect it? What are you working on that makes you want to remove it or get it out of the way?

I am traveling and unable to climb under my car, but at first glance it appears to be the AC compressor to condensor line (schpenxel has just taken his N62 engine out and would have seen the line first hand and can comment if he sees this post, or you can PM him).

If I am correct, you will need the equipment to capture the freon from the system before disconnecting the line and then either put that freon back in the system or replace it with new to the correct pressure after reconnecting the line before start up. When it comes to AC systems I have neither the equipment or expertise to help. And, I could be wrong, but I believe that technically following the letter of the law to dot the i's and cross the t's, you need to be a licensed repair shop trained in working with coolant and the proper methods of capture to be able to legally do the work (again I could be wrong, and rules may vary by state, but I don't know of a stricter state for environmental rules than CA). However, I also believe that if you gain the knowledge and work carefully, DIYs can do as good a job as a licensed repair shop (it ain't brain surgery), and also believe rules are made to be broken.

If I am correct that it is a coolant freon line, and if you still wish to disconnect it yourself, there is a guy out in the Phoenix area here that discussed his cooling system as not beginning cooling for 5 minutes after start up. He is an engineer and dug into the workings of the compressor so deep that I would be confident he could walk into most dealerships and teach them. He wrote on either this forum or the other popular BMW forum. Search for a phrase like "delayed cooling" and you should be able to find his post and PM him for what is required to disconnect and reconnect it properly (again, assuming my identification of the line is correct).

As far as my being a BMW genius you are kind, but far overestimating my knowledge. Many of the guys on this forum have forgotten more than I have ever learned, or could hope to learn. I have always personally subscribed to the maxim "You don't know what you don't know".
Old 01-07-2014, 12:06 PM
Members
Senior Members

Thanks for the reply, BimmerFan52!

I need access (more space!) to remove the water pump and thermostat. If what you said is correct, then I highly doubt an A/C hose needs be removed each time a water pump has to be replaced.

I will get under the car again and see what I can remove before I mess with the water pump and thermostat.

I hate working "under" a car. lol

Have a great day!

Thanks!
Old 01-07-2014, 12:19 PM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

When you undo the hangar (circled in green), you will be able to move some of those hoses aside. Hopefully, that will give you more clearance.
Attached Thumbnails Bimmerfan52, The BMW Genius-pic1.jpg  
Old 01-07-2014, 01:56 PM
Members
Senior Members

Good idea from pcy! I know when doing the spark plug at the firewall on the passenger side on the eight cylinder the only way to get the coil off is to loosen the air conditioning hose bracket and move hoses aside.

Try this post below for a 2006 330. Engine should be the same I would think.

Thought the water pump, thermostat were a PITA on the 545i but after reading this I think I had it easy.

Sounds like working from below is the way to go. I saw no mention when I glanced through it quickly of any need to remove major hoses. The author did say that the use of expletives was very helpful, so make sure if you have kids they are out of earshot.

Good luck with it.

DIY: 2006 330i Water Pump and Thermostat Replacement - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Last edited by BimmerFan52; 01-07-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:31 PM
Members
Senior Members

Wow, it must be my lucky day! I got two of my favorite guys for help again. I think I will just skip everything and go buy a Lotto ticket instead. :-)

Pcy, How are you!? I did unscrewed the hanger (I took your advice on that over a week ago!) and all of those "aluminum" tubing barely moved! I don't have any "rubber" hoses to bend like the video from Bavauto.com (one of many examples I saw). Just curious, does your car have active steering and active stabilizer bar options? Please say yes and give me so hope. lol

If I am lucky, disconnecting the two fluid pressure line of the oscillating motor of the active stabilizer bar might just give me enough space too slip my hand through. I can't do anything if I can touch the thermostat hoses with my hand. I will go buy some power steering fluid tonight and might give it another try this Sunday.

BimmerFan52, Thanks for the link. I saw that already and still couldn't find the expletives that he used. I need to find them to make sure I can make them flow right. lol
Old 01-07-2014, 03:28 PM
Members
Senior Members

Wow, it must be my lucky day! I got two of my favorite guys for help again. I think I will just skip everything and go buy a Lotto ticket instead. :-)

Pcy, How are you!? I did unscrewed the hanger (I took your advice on that over a week ago!) and all of those "aluminum" tubing barely moved! I don't have any "rubber" hoses to bend like the video from Bavauto.com (one of many examples I saw). Just curious, does your car have active steering and active stabilizer bar options? Please say yes and give me so hope. lol

If I am lucky, disconnecting the two fluid pressure line of the oscillating motor of the active stabilizer bar might just give me enough space too slip my hand through. I can't do anything if I can touch the thermostat hoses with my hand. I will go buy some power steering fluid tonight and might give it another try this Sunday.

BimmerFan52, Thanks for the link. I saw that already and still couldn't find the expletives that he used. I need to find them to make sure I can make them flow right. lol
Ha Ha, - He was too polite to detail the exact words but he did say try different ones until you find one you really like.

You said you were going to buy power steering fluid tonight, but just in case you have missed the requirement, buy only CHF11S. Also, be careful to not get any dirt or anti-freeze in the oscillating motor or hose ends (saran wrap and rubber bands work great).
Old 01-07-2014, 03:58 PM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

Pcy, How are you!? I did unscrewed the hanger (I took your advice on that over a week ago!) and all of those "aluminum" tubing barely moved! I don't have any "rubber" hoses to bend like the video from Bavauto.com (one of many examples I saw). Just curious, does your car have active steering and active stabilizer bar options? Please say yes and give me so hope...
My car doesn't have active steering or active stabilizer bar options. This is how it looks under my car (around the water pump)...

It looks difficult on your car with those hoses, but I am sure patience will pay off.
Attached Thumbnails Bimmerfan52, The BMW Genius-bmw_waterpump_clearance.jpg  
Old 01-07-2014, 07:29 PM
Members
Senior Members

I think I am going to bribe my six year old daughter to do it for me. She's smart and "has small hands". I am sure I'll have patience with her. j/k ;-)

Originally Posted by pcy
My car doesn't have active steering or active stabilizer bar options. This is how it looks under my car (around the water pump)...

It looks difficult on your car with those hoses, but I am sure patience will pay off.

Last edited by E60I; 01-07-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:41 PM
Members
Senior Members

Okay, I will relay that message to my six year old daughter (with smaller hands) about it.

With all seriousness, I think lowering the active stabilizer bar with the fluid pressure hoses disconnected should give me enough space. I'll give it another try this Sunday.

Thanks again, BimmerFan52 and Pcy! You guys are my heroes! ;-)

Pcy, if I can get this done, I think I am going to need your help again with the engine mounts. I'll do some research first before I start asking stupid questions. lol

Originally Posted by BimmerFan52
Ha Ha, - He was too polite to detail the exact words but he did say try different ones until you find one you really like.

You said you were going to buy power steering fluid tonight, but just in case you have missed the requirement, buy only CHF11S. Also, be careful to not get any dirt or anti-freeze in the oscillating motor or hose ends (saran wrap and rubber bands work great).

Quick Reply: Bimmerfan52, The BMW Genius