E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Bi Xenon headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 11:52 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '09 LCI 520dA Business. Alpine White; Heated Standard seats in Beige Fusion Artificial Leather and Light poplar wood trim, high-gloss; Sport Steering Wheel; Automatic A/C with Extended features; Hi-Fi loudspeaker system; Cup holders; Cruise control with brake function; Heated ext. mirrors - folding, auto dimming; Xenons with Adaptive headlights and High-beam Assistant; PDC; Sunblinds for side and rear windows; USB interface; Extended Interior Lights Package; Soft-close doors; Windscreen with green shade band; Elec Fr Seats + Driver Memory; Smokers Package; Floor mats, velour

Originally Posted by pigapumbu' post='823676' date='Mar 22 2009, 04:05 PM
I can't understand why my front LEDs dont work as DRLs when the rear red ones are lit. Just don't understand the loigc behind it.

I have given up trying to work out how the lights work. Must be a BMW ploy to reduce warranty work on lights cause now no one really knows if something is broke or not.
What LEDs you mean?

In my car (in Finland) with Bi-Xenons and Adaptive Headlights it works like this:
- Daytime: Angel Eyes are on as DRLs, rear LED lights are on as the rear lights are on (BMW seems to prefer some light in the back always, some of the manufacturers are not having any light in the back with DRLs, I am not sure if that is even a legal)
- Nighttime: Xenons (outer lights) are on and in addition the eyebrows and side-LEDs are on

Cornering lights are the inner lights and are lit up when I turn for the curve or I am going to turn (signal on). In Finland they are only available with Adaptive Lights option. I like this one as it looks much more professional than using fog lights for cornering (like Mercedes).

It seems pretty logical to me, but sure I spent some time (day and evening) to see how all the lights work and which are used in which situation.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by pigapumbu' post='823676' date='Mar 22 2009, 04:05 PM
I can't understand why my front LEDs dont work as DRLs when the rear red ones are lit. Just don't understand the loigc behind it.
There are no leds in front of any BMW. The Angel Eyes work with normal bulbs.

Only the Xenon lights in the LCI's have the new daylight option.
Just put the headlight switch on automatic - that's to the left.

This function may vary by continent, but they are legal in EU
as daylight running lights. We must have the lights on at all times!
So they are programmable by the BMW dealer.

Pic of my LCI's Xenon's with the DRL on.
Attached Thumbnails Bi Xenon headlights-ygu_28_bimmer_avatar.jpg  
Old 03-22-2009, 12:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '09 LCI 520dA Business. Alpine White; Heated Standard seats in Beige Fusion Artificial Leather and Light poplar wood trim, high-gloss; Sport Steering Wheel; Automatic A/C with Extended features; Hi-Fi loudspeaker system; Cup holders; Cruise control with brake function; Heated ext. mirrors - folding, auto dimming; Xenons with Adaptive headlights and High-beam Assistant; PDC; Sunblinds for side and rear windows; USB interface; Extended Interior Lights Package; Soft-close doors; Windscreen with green shade band; Elec Fr Seats + Driver Memory; Smokers Package; Floor mats, velour

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='823923' date='Mar 22 2009, 10:15 PM
There are no leds in front of any BMW. The Angel Eyes work with normal bulbs.
Isn't there some LEDs on the side, in the end of the eyebrows? But sure, not in the front.