E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Bi Xenon headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 09:24 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Hi, I just purchased an E60 with Bi Xenon headlights. I always thought that Bi Xenon meant 2 Xenon lights. I just noticed in the car when I turned on the Hi Beam, the same driving lights project another beam at a higher angle. So both driving lights and Hi Beam comes of the outer headlights.

The 2 headlights closer to the center of the grille does not light up, eventhough, there are bulbs in them.

Can someone explain to me what Bi Xenon mean and can I get the 2 inner headlights to come on?

Regards,
BMW555
Old 03-21-2009, 10:44 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport (6-speed)

I believe the "bi-Xenon" means that you get the Xenon's for both high and low beams. In my car, it almost seems like the lens of the headlights flip to a higher angle for the high beams. Turn the steering wheel one direction or another and you'll see the lights closer to the center of the light assembly light up. These lights illuminate the corners. They also light up when you put the car in reverse and also when you turn on your signal at speed (slowing dims once the car is stopped).
Old 03-21-2009, 10:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by BMW555' post='823509' date='Mar 22 2009, 12:24 AM
Hi, I just purchased an E60 with Bi Xenon headlights. I always thought that Bi Xenon meant 2 Xenon lights. I just noticed in the car when I turned on the Hi Beam, the same driving lights project another beam at a higher angle. So both driving lights and Hi Beam comes of the outer headlights.

The 2 headlights closer to the center of the grille does not light up, eventhough, there are bulbs in them.

Can someone explain to me what Bi Xenon mean and can I get the 2 inner headlights to come on?

Regards,
BMW555
What year is your E60? On pre-LCI (07 and older) E60's the inner lights are flash to pass if you pull the stalk toward you. On the LCI(08 and newer) E60's, the inner lights are used for cornering lights.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:22 AM
Members

Hi,

Thanks for promt reply. My car is 2007 and older. I have tested as suggested but the inner headlights does not come on when I turn the wheels or signal or reverse. I don't have cornering lights.

I will check with my dealer.

Regards,
BMW555
Old 03-22-2009, 02:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '09 LCI 520dA Business. Alpine White; Heated Standard seats in Beige Fusion Artificial Leather and Light poplar wood trim, high-gloss; Sport Steering Wheel; Automatic A/C with Extended features; Hi-Fi loudspeaker system; Cup holders; Cruise control with brake function; Heated ext. mirrors - folding, auto dimming; Xenons with Adaptive headlights and High-beam Assistant; PDC; Sunblinds for side and rear windows; USB interface; Extended Interior Lights Package; Soft-close doors; Windscreen with green shade band; Elec Fr Seats + Driver Memory; Smokers Package; Floor mats, velour

Originally Posted by BMW555' post='823575' date='Mar 22 2009, 11:22 AM
Thanks for promt reply. My car is 2007 and older. I have tested as suggested but the inner headlights does not come on when I turn the wheels or signal or reverse. I don't have cornering lights.

I will check with my dealer.
In some markets the cornering lights are optional or part of the optional package. For example, in Finland the cornering lights are included in optional Adaptive Headlights.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:12 AM
Members

It`s correct, they don`t light up on mine (I posted a thread just the other day on this). Mine is an update with adaptives, and I too can`t see why they don`t light up as well?

I confirmed this with the dealer, mine light up when cornering only.....

Martyn
Old 03-22-2009, 06:03 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they are used for 'flashing', or whatever its called.

pull the high beam switch towards you and they will light up
Old 03-22-2009, 06:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d

Originally Posted by mroll320' post='823602' date='Mar 22 2009, 11:12 AM
It`s correct, they don`t light up on mine (I posted a thread just the other day on this). Mine is an update with adaptives, and I too can`t see why they don`t light up as well?

I confirmed this with the dealer, mine light up when cornering only.....

Martyn
I can't understand why have it if they are not using it. Its just extra weight. If it was country specific, then they should have country specific light clusters that match the way the lights work. Its all too confusin these days.

I can't understand why my front LEDs dont work as DRLs when the rear red ones are lit. Just don't understand the loigc behind it.

I have given up trying to work out how the lights work. Must be a BMW ploy to reduce warranty work on lights cause now no one really knows if something is broke or not.

cheers
Old 03-22-2009, 09:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

I know that the front lighting is market specific - our friends over the other side of the Atlantic have quite different options to us.

In the UK, BiXenon's mean that you do get Xenon's on main and dip beam - but from the outer lights only (the Xenon has only one "bulb" - the main/dip function is a shutter that moves to alter the beam pattern). The inner lights are "flash to pass" or whatever you like to call it, and the inners are on on main beam too.

Don't know what the configuration is in Oz though.

Mike
Old 03-22-2009, 10:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Hi BMW555 from down under!

You have probably a LCI model (-08 ->) where the outer headlights are the "Bi-Xenons",
and the inner ones works only as roundels (Angel Eye).

Bi-Xenons means that the Xenons work both as low and high beams and in the E60 case only
with one xenon light bulb.

On my pre-LCI's I had an extra halogen hi-beam in the inner ones, working as "flash-lights",
in the LCI the "flash is made with the Xenons (progress made).

Pic of my '05 Bi-Xenons, but with some mist in them. That is also normal.
Attached Thumbnails Bi Xenon headlights-okiw_mist_korj.jpg  

Quick Reply: Bi Xenon headlights