E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BEWARE!!! Vacuum Pump NOT covered under brake recall

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 03:19 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by gwf545
This post is one of the reasons I really appreciate this site and others like it. Easy repairs like this can save us all a lot of money. I had a similar issue with my wife's e39 528i a while ago. It was making some noise on start up near the right wheel well. I searched on line and found it was the air pump which only runs briefly after start up. I pulled the pump and found that the cheap aluminum rivets had become loose. I drilled them out, replaced them with machine screws and the pump was good as new. It took about an hour to do it. I never checked the price with BMW, but I'll bet I would have dropped close to $1k for their fix. Thanks!
there is a thread on here somewhere, where i had posted pictures too. try searching.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i SMG, 35% Tint, LED Angel Eyes

Originally Posted by turboawd
the vacuum pump is immersed in oil inside. a leaking cover has no effect on the brakes. the vacuum pumps have a shitty oring used on the cover that loses its elasticity and causes leaks.

just do what i did, and take the cover off, clean the mating surfaces with brake cleaner, and apply rtv silicone over the original oring, and reinstall the cover. the pump itself doesnt really wear out.

Awesome! I saw your re-building post some where. I am pretty sure I bookmarked it on one of my other computers.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:26 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Black. Premium, Sport, Winter packages. PDC.

Just some info.

Here is my invoice for the brake recall. These were included and serviced with no charge: hose clamp, brake booster seal, brake servo unit, brake master cylinder, vacuum pipe, and brake fluid. I'm assuming this as it was listed on invoice as N/C. This is what was mentioned, "as per sib inspected vacuum pipe and found oil in booster. As per sib removed and replaced master cylinder,, brake booster and vacuum pipe. After replacement performed brake bleed procedure though ISID, bled brakes manually due to air in system."
Vacuum pump list price was $463.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6 speed Manual

ok, but how is the oil getting into the booster? the vacuum pump must be bypassing oil into the line somehow, has nothing to do with external leaks, agreed. but if there is oil in the pipe and booster causing damage then how did the oil get there, would it not make sense to find the source of oil and fix that as well as the affected parts?

Originally Posted by turboawd
the vacuum pump is immersed in oil inside. a leaking cover has no effect on the brakes. the vacuum pumps have a shitty oring used on the cover that loses its elasticity and causes leaks.

just do what i did, and take the cover off, clean the mating surfaces with brake cleaner, and apply rtv silicone over the original oring, and reinstall the cover. the pump itself doesnt really wear out.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:06 AM
Contributors

I just got my recall letter yesterday.. definitely tuning in to this thread.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by response_surface
ok, but how is the oil getting into the booster? the vacuum pump must be bypassing oil into the line somehow, has nothing to do with external leaks, agreed. but if there is oil in the pipe and booster causing damage then how did the oil get there, would it not make sense to find the source of oil and fix that as well as the affected parts?
well there is a check valve on top of the pump....for the line going to the brake booster, and there should be another check valve near or on the booster.
i have no idea how oil is going backwards up the line, when there is a constant suction going on.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by prostyles
Are you saying that when I take my car in to get the recall fixed, I will be required to replace the pump as well? Can I just have the affected parts replaced and not the pump?
+1
Old 12-03-2010, 03:53 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Hyper_545i
+1
Is the brake fluid changed with this service by chance? A free brake fluid flush would be nice.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW E60 530i

My parent's 2006 E65 7 Series got recalled as well and only the brake valves needed to be replaced? They were really shocked because apparently our 7 Series had the minimal replacement to do. (my parents don't really drive the 7 Series much, bought it brand new in 2006 and we've only done 17k miles) LOL
Old 12-03-2010, 05:17 PM
Senior Members

+1 the OP can't just leave us all hanging seems like alot of ppl are getting their notices now, including me

Quick Reply: BEWARE!!! Vacuum Pump NOT covered under brake recall