E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Best way to remove a die cut dealer sticker?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 11:13 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Steptronic, Premium, PDC, Logic7

In my opinion, it depends on whether you bought the car or leased it. If you bought it, it's your car any they have no right to advertise on your car. If you leased it, technically it's their car and you have no right to demand they remove it.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:55 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i - Alpine white with auburn interior; tip, xenon, pdc, sirius, prem, cold weather, red reflectors and xpel.

DXXXi ....

If you lease, its still your car & not the dealer's. A lease is with BMW Finan. or similar finan. institution (not a dealer), just as if you had a loan. A dealer has no vested interest in your car (technically, its not their car).
Old 01-16-2005, 02:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545, Auto, Sport, L7, Pdc, Sunshades, Silver Gray/Black, 19x8.5/9.5 Monet Wheels, Michelin PS A/S Tires, Full M-KIt, B&B Exhaust, 20% Llumar Tint

Strange how East Coast Dealers think this is OK...but out here on the left Coast dealers just don't do that...seems that in the East people have come to expect/accept it and out here we wouldn't drive off the lot with something like that on our cars. Regardless should be easy to remove...and it'll look better once its gone
Old 01-16-2005, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by DXXXi' date='Jan 16 2005, 09:13 PM
In my opinion, it depends on whether you bought the car or leased it.? If you bought it, it's your car any they have no right to advertise on your car.? If you leased it, technically it's their car and you have no right to demand they remove it.
[snapback]79800[/snapback]
No, even if leased it's not their car!
And even if it's their car - they let you order it, and it doesn't say anywhere on the option sheet: "dealer advertising decall". It's not a part of the car, it's not ordered by you. They have to remove it!
And I would let them do it, because what happens if you make a scratch, or can't get it off completely without a mark? Then they don't need to repair it, but if they do it and screw it up they have to fix it. Let them deal with it, it makes them think...
Old 01-16-2005, 04:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Steptronic, Premium, PDC, Logic7

Originally Posted by macct' date='Jan 16 2005, 02:55 PM
DXXXi ....

If you lease, its still your car & not the dealer's.? A lease is with BMW? Finan. or similar finan. institution (not a dealer), just as if you had a loan.? A dealer has no vested interest in your car (technically, its not their car).
[snapback]79817[/snapback]

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Jan 16 2005, 05:53 PM
No, even if leased it's not their car!
And even if it's their car - they let you order it, and it doesn't say anywhere on the option sheet: "dealer advertising decall". It's not a part of the car, it's not ordered by you. They have to remove it!
And I would let them do it, because what happens if you make a scratch, or can't get it off completely without a mark? Then they don't need to repair it, but if they do it and screw it up they have to fix it. Let them deal with it, it makes them think...
[snapback]79861[/snapback]
Good points - maybe. However, if you take out a loan to buy a car, then you are taking all the risk if it depreciates significantly more than expected (same as a mortgage). If you take out a lease, you know exactly where you stand and if the car's value plummets you can just walk away at the end of the lease so the risk lies with another party - I still think it might be with the dealer. In my opinion they have some residual stake in the car. I agree that it is unacceptable practice however and always make a point of telling the dealership I don't want anything on the paint.

Iceman's last point was kind of what I was getting at. If I were a dealer and you came to me telling me to take the offending signage off, and it was still my car (because I had to take it back from you and sell it in 3 years), I would tell you to pound sand. If you want it off, you take it off an if you scratch it, I will charge you for the touch up. You didn't tell me not to put it on.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:50 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i - Alpine white with auburn interior; tip, xenon, pdc, sirius, prem, cold weather, red reflectors and xpel.

Just to clarify...Dealers have no financial interest in a leased car. It is strictly with the financing institution. An originating dealer has the ability to buy the car at the end of lease at a value established by the finance company. They are not obligated in any manner to purchase a car they do not want ( i.e. can't make money on).
Old 01-16-2005, 09:22 PM
Senior Members

i agree with the others. have the dealer do it. it's a very similar topic as the other post with the dealer's badge. i'll cut their fingers one by one if they ever put one on my car .