E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Best protection against brake dust

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 09:17 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The members in a zhp (e36 with performance package) site highly recommended this: PoorBoys' wheel sealant

To quote one of them: ..."Don't just clean wheels, PREVENT future brake dust, also! during my last (and only so far) detail, I had the guy clean the wheels (he used Sonax) and gave him a jar of PoorBoys' wheel sealant that I had and asked him to put it on AFTER he got the wheels clean...

It has been about 4k miles since then, and i took a look at the wheels while i was quick detailing the exterior of the car:

One thing I noticed - since using the Sonax and putting PoorBoys' wheel sealant on, a lot LESS brake dust is on the wheels, compared to before, and just wiped off REALLY easy with just a wet rag/quick detailer! Not baked on like before so yeah, if you clean wheels, PROTECT that clean finish with some type of wax/sealant, and PREVENT future brake dust from sticking. "

Based on their feedback (that board is a close knit and genuine one; I trust their opinions), I purchased it last week but yet to try them.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:18 PM
Senior Members

I really think that the key is cleaning the weeks frequently. A wheel sealant certainly helps.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:39 PM
Members

My Ride: 2011 535I X-Drive - Space Grey / Black Dakota / M-Sport / Sport Auto Transmission with Paddles / Premium I / Premium II / Cold Weather Gone: 2010 535I - Alpine White / Black / Sport, Premium & Cold Weather Packages / Anthracite liner / Sport Auto with Paddle Shifters / Navigation / Satellite, HD & I-pod Gone: 2006 530XI - Monaco Blue / Creme Leather

I've had excellent results on my 124"s with Armour All Wheel Protectant. NO HAZE, it goes on wet and dries. Be sure wheel is well cleaned and DRY before applying, then make sure the wheel protectant dries before driving.
Do not wipe it; be careful not to wipe after it dries. It checked my tire pressure after applying and had knuckle marks as the only place with brake dust after driving.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:12 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i, Premium Package, Grey Leather, Rear Euro Reflectors

Originally Posted by mrich1353
I've had excellent results on my 124"s with Armour All Wheel Protectant. NO HAZE, it goes on wet and dries. Be sure wheel is well cleaned and DRY before applying, then make sure the wheel protectant dries before driving.
Do not wipe it; be careful not to wipe after it dries. It checked my tire pressure after applying and had knuckle marks as the only place with brake dust after driving.
+1 I just used the Armor All Wheel Protectant for the first time a few weeks ago and it made a big difference. I will keep using it until I need new pads and can install low dust pads.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:30 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jayarras
I'm taking delivery of some brand new rims and want to treat them with something to protect them against brake dust pitting. What do you guys use? Also, how often do you treat them? Will just frequent washing be enough?

My son gave me something called Eagle One Keep Clean Wheel spray for Christmas last year that I used on my current rims, but I'm not impressed, so I'm looking for some other recommendations.
I feel your pain on this matter, my wife's Z4 has pads on it that just ruin the wheel after just one day worth of just going to work and coming home. I literally have to clean them each day of use, if not the wheels are just covered in black dust, VERY irritating, as it was suggested I'm just waiting for them to wear our so that I can install some ceramics and solve the problem.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:16 PM
Members

Use DODO Juice "red mist", its quick, easy to apply and results are awesome!
Old 08-31-2011, 04:36 PM
Members

Do what I do, wash em more
Old 08-31-2011, 04:38 PM
Senior Members

"wash em more"...I went one step further and changed the color of the wheel to hide the brake dust better.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

anyone ever thought of installing brake dust covers?

For example:
http://www.kleen-wheels.co.uk/
Old 09-01-2011, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Received 101 Likes on 97 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by Isaiah_Charles
Anything but this :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
Why?

Quick Reply: Best protection against brake dust