E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

belt tension?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 10:17 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 1) 2004 BMW 530IAlpine WhiteLuxury PackageNavigation 2) 2009 Range Rover Sport Supercharged

OK, so my warranty ran out in July. Soon after, a strange squeeking/rattling noise started coming out of my engine. To tell you the truth, i heard it, but never paid much attention to it. When the cars in nuetral or park i wont hear it, but as soon as i put it in gear, i hear it.

A couple days ago i was in a parking lot, and this guy walks up to me and advises me to check it out. He also owns a bmw, and said that if it was a Toyota, he wouldnt have said a word, but since its a BMW, i should have it looked at. When he mentioned it, it kind of hit me that hes right and that the sound has been coming for a while.

So i take it to my local BMW dealership. They have someone come look at it, and he tells me that its something called 'belt tension' and that some belt is rubbing the wrong way. To fix it, they need to add some new part and take out the old hydrolic part because its not as durable.

They gave me a quote of $500 to fix this. That kinda sucks now cause im out of my warranty and all.

Has anyone else ever run into this problem? If so, if it wasnt fixed by warrany, how much did you have to pay for it? Do let me know as i am all for fixing it, but think $500 is a little steep for a belt issue.....do let me know

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2008, 12:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

Did you get part numbers? Are they talking about the tensioner belt or the main belt? Need more details here/.....
Old 10-14-2008, 07:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i AW - every option

Originally Posted by snadir' post='692870' date='Oct 14 2008, 02:17 PM
OK, so my warranty ran out in July. Soon after, a strange squeeking/rattling noise started coming out of my engine. To tell you the truth, i heard it, but never paid much attention to it. When the cars in nuetral or park i wont hear it, but as soon as i put it in gear, i hear it.

A couple days ago i was in a parking lot, and this guy walks up to me and advises me to check it out. He also owns a bmw, and said that if it was a Toyota, he wouldnt have said a word, but since its a BMW, i should have it looked at. When he mentioned it, it kind of hit me that hes right and that the sound has been coming for a while.

So i take it to my local BMW dealership. They have someone come look at it, and he tells me that its something called 'belt tension' and that some belt is rubbing the wrong way. To fix it, they need to add some new part and take out the old hydrolic part because its not as durable.

They gave me a quote of $500 to fix this. That kinda sucks now cause im out of my warranty and all.

Has anyone else ever run into this problem? If so, if it wasnt fixed by warrany, how much did you have to pay for it? Do let me know as i am all for fixing it, but think $500 is a little steep for a belt issue.....do let me know

Thanks!

Hey - I actually had a ridiculous loud squawk coming from my belts earlier this summer which started off not too loud. The stealer told me its the belt tensioner and it ran me about 240 for that part, plus new belts. You should def get it fixed though.