E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Beginner to ISTA-P and it wants to make 6 hour long changes.. advice plz?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 02:39 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535i M / X-Drive
Model Year: 2010
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
If you are updating all the modules do not attempt to do it without an ICOM and battery regulator.
btw I forgot to mention the ISTA-P booster/emulator I’m running gives me the choice of a few cables and I set it up to start/run the K-Dcan cable.. so everytime I started the emulator, I click on the kdcan picture and then I launch ista-p.. not sure if that makes anything any better to attempt to use such a cable lol.. but if it’s really really not a good idea to do it, then is WinKFP alright to run with it?
Old 07-28-2021, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

Use ICOM as stated. Sean knows his stuff.

I'd pay someone to do it, which I actually did in my case. You're spending way more in sweat money.
Old 07-30-2021, 07:38 AM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
My Ride: .

Originally Posted by Killaduce
ya I’m gonna buy a battery charger to do whatever needs to be done.. can I ask u something then? I’m not looking to spend so much on just the cable right now when I have to spend on injectors, coils, spark plugs AND the water pump.. so not sure what to do here lol but is it true That I can apparently just program each module individually, and using a kdcan cable running WinKFP instead.. and get away with it? Plus it apparently beats the 6 and a half hour eta ISTA-P wants lol? But I’m inexperienced in this area/field, so I’m hoping someone more experienced, like yourself, can guide me on this
1. You need more than a battery charger, you need a power supply.
2. Why not try WinKFP and see?
Old 07-30-2021, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 312 Likes on 299 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

Originally Posted by Killaduce
ya I’m gonna buy a battery charger to do whatever needs to be done.. can I ask u something then? I’m not looking to spend so much on just the cable right now when I have to spend on injectors, coils, spark plugs AND the water pump.. so not sure what to do here lol but is it true That I can apparently just program each module individually, and using a kdcan cable running WinKFP instead.. and get away with it? Plus it apparently beats the 6 and a half hour eta ISTA-P wants lol? But I’m inexperienced in this area/field, so I’m hoping someone more experienced, like yourself, can guide me on this
You can get away without an ICOM just doing coding through KFP. The only thing you need to do is program VIN in the modules needed and do reset. Do not attempt firmware updates on K/DCAN cable and without regulator. Power is very important. If you loose power you brick your modules. I've programmed and coded without a battery regulator but I know what I'm doing and how long I can do it. The important stuff shouldn't take longer than 30 mins if you do your homework before executing.