E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Battery dies overnight

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 10:16 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sc88' post='1069105' date='Dec 7 2009, 02:29 AM
I've read most of this post and thought I would chime in.

Here is the history of my experiences with "Increase Battery Discharge":

1) Every so often the car would ask to "Set Time/Date". That got annoying after awhile so off to the dealer. They replaced a module that controlled the transmission (Was not entering sleep mode). After doing a diagnostic it was found to be the culprit. Changed out and sent home.

2) The above worked for a month then the dreaded "Set Time/Date" came back. What also got annoying was that after turning off the engine the iDrive would shut off too. I would pick up the wife from work and it would be nice to listen to the radio while waiting. Now to do that I had to keep the car on and waste gas. Another trip to the dealership and the IBS cord was replaced.

3) It only worked for a day or two until the same symptoms came back. By this time I didn't want to lose the car again and we had a vacation planned. It was pretty sad when part of the "List to Pack" included a set of booster cables, trickle charger, and emergency boost pack. Hate to say it, but I need two of the three items during the trip (I have BMW SOS, but I don't like to wait). When we got back the car was now always plugged in. Who knew I would own one of the first BMW's that needed to be plugged in!

4) Now the car is back at the dealership because I'm fed up. I haven't set the clock right in the car since July. The dealership is bringing in a new control module in from Germany. Two weeks to ship, plus they have to install and test. At least I have a decent loaner, but we bought a 5 series for a reason. The X3 is nice, but it is small in trunk space and lacks "punch".

I hope you get your problem solved. Seems like a lot of owners have this problem. We were never told that we didn't drive the car enough because the wife uses it to travel between home and our business during the week. Then it becomes the family hauler and my company vehicle stays in the garage. We actually spent this weekend looking for a replacement. I put my name on a list to see the 5 GT when it gets here, but now we are looking at getting a GL or a Q7. We own 3 BMW's and now I think this is the last. They will be slowly replaced in the next few months.

The communication problems was a loose connector on one of the modules. The battery still dies and they are working on that next. They agree that something is staying awake. We had a good 5-10minute conversation on what I found and what they are doing. They know I'm no dummy and not the typical owner. I know they know what they are doing and we are all on the same page. The shop has 13-14 hours in so far and are billing for 10.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:53 PM
Members

My Ride: 10 X5 35d AW/Blk LOADED

Glad you are working well with your shop. Please keep us posted!
Old 12-08-2009, 02:10 PM
Members

Originally Posted by sc88' post='1070440' date='Dec 8 2009, 04:53 PM
Glad you are working well with your shop. Please keep us posted!

Just got off the phone with the shop. There is a break in the fiber optic network. The fiber optic network send light at differant frequencies to control differant things. One of things it sends is sleep and wake up signals. Since there is a problem in the fiber optic ring the signal to sleep is not getting to some of modules. Now they are figuring out of one of the modules is breaking the signal ring or if there is a break in the fiber optic cable. Getting closer to a fix but not there yet.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:57 PM
Members

Originally Posted by skibarefoot' post='1070479' date='Dec 8 2009, 06:10 PM
Just got off the phone with the shop. There is a break in the fiber optic network. The fiber optic network send light at differant frequencies to control differant things. One of things it sends is sleep and wake up signals. Since there is a problem in the fiber optic ring the signal to sleep is not getting to some of modules. Now they are figuring out of one of the modules is breaking the signal ring or if there is a break in the fiber optic cable. Getting closer to a fix but not there yet.

The shop thinks something is wrong with the sos system. The tech went on vacation. He will get back on it tues.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Automatic, Le Mans Edition.Le Mans Blue Individual Paint Special, Syrah Blue Individual Leather, Piano Black Individual Interior Trim, Front seat heating,M Double Spoke 172 19

Originally Posted by skibarefoot' post='1071129' date='Dec 10 2009, 01:57 AM
The shop thinks something is wrong with the sos system. The tech went on vacation. He will get back on it tues.
Will that be a Tuesday in December?
Old 01-08-2010, 08:10 AM
Members

How is it going guys? I have the exact same problem on my 04 530d.... =/
Old 01-08-2010, 08:33 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i sport, stick, L7, sat, nav. Charcoal/ runflat/ cdv delete. Suede headliner/ trunk, 3 way front speakers, four 8" subs in rear shelf, ACM, iPod dock in ash tray using gateway 500 with MP3 text and video on screen, MRTM aluminum pedals/ door pins, 10 farad cap, sound processor, line conditioner, 2 amps ( 4x100 and 2x200)

Originally Posted by skibarefoot' post='1070479' date='Dec 8 2009, 03:10 PM

I find it hard to believe there is a break in the MOST network if the radio still works. ( if they are talking about the Byte flyte or K Can network info on the body module then that is different )
Old 01-29-2010, 04:32 AM
Members

Heard from the shop yesterday. They found the buss wire under the headliner pinched in the sunroof track. The wire was shorted to ground. This short was like a module staying on. They will repair the wire and put the car back together. Then check out all the systems and modules to be sure everything is 100%. We should have the car back next week.

The headliner was removed 18 months ago for hail damage repair. All the problems I've been having can be traced back to humna error. And, people wonder why I do a lot of my own work.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Automatic, Le Mans Edition.Le Mans Blue Individual Paint Special, Syrah Blue Individual Leather, Piano Black Individual Interior Trim, Front seat heating,M Double Spoke 172 19

Originally Posted by skibarefoot
Heard from the shop yesterday. They found the buss wire under the headliner pinched in the sunroof track. The wire was shorted to ground. This short was like a module staying on. They will repair the wire and put the car back together. Then check out all the systems and modules to be sure everything is 100%. We should have the car back next week.

The headliner was removed 18 months ago for hail damage repair. All the problems I've been having can be traced back to humna error. And, people wonder why I do a lot of my own work.
Glad that this problem is being solved at last ,but why has it taken so long for the shop to find the cause of the problem? I imagine that their labour charge will be astronomical!
Old 01-30-2010, 12:59 PM
Members

Electrical issues are very difficult to find especially wiring issues. I have advanced training and experiance in electrical troubleshooting and repair. I have been in constant communication with the shop. They even asked to come by and see what they where doing. That way where all on the same page. They only worked on the car a few hours a day. Which I was OK with.

It sucks that all the troubles I've had with the car are due to human error. One problem was a loose connector and the other is the pinched wire.