E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Battery dies overnight

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 10:44 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Automatic, Le Mans Edition.Le Mans Blue Individual Paint Special, Syrah Blue Individual Leather, Piano Black Individual Interior Trim, Front seat heating,M Double Spoke 172 19

Originally Posted by Curmudgeon' post='1057084' date='Nov 18 2009, 12:55 AM
This must be peculiar to the 530D. The 545 will go into sleep mode without locking the doors. It will go into sleep mode even with the hood open. I don't know about the trunk, but it will turn off the trunk light after 15 minutes so there's a chance it will go into sleep mode then also.
You've made me think about this.I did once forget to lock the car overnight (garaged) and I'm pretty sure that the red light by the auto selector was not on which means it had gone into sleep mode .Things do switch off after about 15 minutes without my doors locked (radio for example) but the red light is still on which means it is not in full sleep mode.So,maybe even this feature is more complicated than first thought!
Old 11-18-2009, 04:08 AM
Senior Members

Yep, sure to be one of the car's electrical components that is stuck in the 'on' position.

Obviously, the trick is to find which one. I bet the BMW service guys know which are the likely components.

Example; Opel's used to have sticky rear demister switches. Switch looked like it was off, but was stuck 'on'. and flattened the battery overnight. Even Opel had problems solving the problem, lots of labour costs, lot's of testing compenents, changing batteries, playing with wiring loom etc, etc.

An auto electrician friend made a small fortune on the fees he charged Opel drivers to fix their dead battery problems associated with this switch.

There must be hundreds of examples similar.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:41 AM
Members

Originally Posted by higher' post='1057354' date='Nov 18 2009, 08:08 AM
Yep, sure to be one of the car's electrical components that is stuck in the 'on' position.

Obviously, the trick is to find which one. I bet the BMW service guys know which are the likely components.

Example; Opel's used to have sticky rear demister switches. Switch looked like it was off, but was stuck 'on'. and flattened the battery overnight. Even Opel had problems solving the problem, lots of labour costs, lot's of testing compenents, changing batteries, playing with wiring loom etc, etc.

An auto electrician friend made a small fortune on the fees he charged Opel drivers to fix their dead battery problems associated with this switch.

There must be hundreds of examples similar.

I think I've got the problem narrowed down to either the cass or safety and gateway module. From the diagram of the K can bus it looks like the sgm tells the cas to turn on. Anyone know if this is correct?
Old 12-01-2009, 04:54 PM
Members

For those of you that where following this thread I've taken the car to a shop. I still think the safety gateway module is bad. Before buying this $800 part I want to be sure this is the problem. Also the sgm needs to be coded to the car. So, of to the shop it went. I'll let you know what is up.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by skibarefoot' post='1066022' date='Dec 1 2009, 05:54 PM
For those of you that where following this thread I've taken the car to a shop. I still think the safety gateway module is bad. Before buying this $800 part I want to be sure this is the problem. Also the sgm needs to be coded to the car. So, of to the shop it went. I'll let you know what is up.
Awesome job at possibly finding your issue! Congrats!
Old 12-04-2009, 03:44 PM
Members

Originally Posted by or_550i' post='1066227' date='Dec 2 2009, 03:17 AM
Awesome job at possibly finding your issue! Congrats!

After 2.5 days of troubleshooting the shop got the car communications fixed. They are now seeing if the battery drain issue is fixed now too. I'll find out more on Monday
Old 12-04-2009, 03:58 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 540i
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by skibarefoot' post='1068007' date='Dec 4 2009, 06:44 PM
After 2.5 days of troubleshooting the shop got the car communications fixed. They are now seeing if the battery drain issue is fixed now too. I'll find out more on Monday
Hmmm...Communication errors would explain a lot. Not completely going to sleep and possibly not letting you clear fault codes. Hopefully that will eliminate the battery drain as well. I'm sure you'll be glad to have this one resolved.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:47 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 530inOK' post='1068012' date='Dec 4 2009, 07:58 PM
Hmmm...Communication errors would explain a lot. Not completely going to sleep and possibly not letting you clear fault codes. Hopefully that will eliminate the battery drain as well. I'm sure you'll be glad to have this one resolved.

I was going to email the findings so far in the morning. I see you already saw them. We'll see on monday if the trouble is fixed.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Automatic, Le Mans Edition.Le Mans Blue Individual Paint Special, Syrah Blue Individual Leather, Piano Black Individual Interior Trim, Front seat heating,M Double Spoke 172 19

Originally Posted by skibarefoot' post='1068007' date='Dec 5 2009, 12:44 AM
I hope it is all sorted quickly,2.5 days+ sounds quite expensive.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:29 PM
Members

My Ride: 10 X5 35d AW/Blk LOADED

I've read most of this post and thought I would chime in.

Here is the history of my experiences with "Increase Battery Discharge":

1) Every so often the car would ask to "Set Time/Date". That got annoying after awhile so off to the dealer. They replaced a module that controlled the transmission (Was not entering sleep mode). After doing a diagnostic it was found to be the culprit. Changed out and sent home.

2) The above worked for a month then the dreaded "Set Time/Date" came back. What also got annoying was that after turning off the engine the iDrive would shut off too. I would pick up the wife from work and it would be nice to listen to the radio while waiting. Now to do that I had to keep the car on and waste gas. Another trip to the dealership and the IBS cord was replaced.

3) It only worked for a day or two until the same symptoms came back. By this time I didn't want to lose the car again and we had a vacation planned. It was pretty sad when part of the "List to Pack" included a set of booster cables, trickle charger, and emergency boost pack. Hate to say it, but I need two of the three items during the trip (I have BMW SOS, but I don't like to wait). When we got back the car was now always plugged in. Who knew I would own one of the first BMW's that needed to be plugged in!

4) Now the car is back at the dealership because I'm fed up. I haven't set the clock right in the car since July. The dealership is bringing in a new control module in from Germany. Two weeks to ship, plus they have to install and test. At least I have a decent loaner, but we bought a 5 series for a reason. The X3 is nice, but it is small in trunk space and lacks "punch".

I hope you get your problem solved. Seems like a lot of owners have this problem. We were never told that we didn't drive the car enough because the wife uses it to travel between home and our business during the week. Then it becomes the family hauler and my company vehicle stays in the garage. We actually spent this weekend looking for a replacement. I put my name on a list to see the 5 GT when it gets here, but now we are looking at getting a GL or a Q7. We own 3 BMW's and now I think this is the last. They will be slowly replaced in the next few months.

Quick Reply: Battery dies overnight