E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Battery dies overnight

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 02:26 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by methodsound' post='1054195' date='Nov 13 2009, 05:15 PM
This amp meter I mentioned is the solution to your problem trying to measure the amps with your multi meter. It does not require the battery connection to be disconnected.

It sounds like the dealer said your trunk light was staying on due to the faulty trunk hatch trigger? Is that what the drain turned out to be? The reason I ask is that the car will shut off the trunk light if you leave the trunk open, so maybe the trigger was intermittent and the car was waking up thinking you were opening the trunk?

I had sometime yesterday to mess with the car. I got a clamp on dc ammeter from a buddy. I disconnected all the small wires on the pos and neg bat term. Amp draw didn't change. After 45min of not touching anything car did not go to sleep.

Today I got the scan tool. I read the codes and there where codes in almost every system. I cleared the codes and they all come right back. I now have an airbag light.

I tried registering the battery but ran out of time to do it.

Where can I get fault code data and testig data? I'm more confused then ever. Thanks
Old 11-14-2009, 07:58 PM
Members

Originally Posted by skibarefoot' post='1054254' date='Nov 13 2009, 06:26 PM
I had sometime yesterday to mess with the car. I got a clamp on dc ammeter from a buddy. I disconnected all the small wires on the pos and neg bat term. Amp draw didn't change. After 45min of not touching anything car did not go to sleep.

Today I got the scan tool. I read the codes and there where codes in almost every system. I cleared the codes and they all come right back. I now have an airbag light.

I tried registering the battery but ran out of time to do it.

Where can I get fault code data and testig data? I'm more confused then ever. Thanks

Where did my helpers go? I got the scanning/test tool and was playing with it. I got codes I have no idea what to do with. Thanks.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

Sorry I can't help with your specific problem.
My 08 had a similar problem. The car died every 7 days like clockwork.
Under warranty the dealer diagnosed and replaced the main 'comfort access' module, then the electronic gear shift. The problem persisted until it was revealed that the previous owner had had a "boomerang" anti-theft system installed. The car was persistantly waking up to phone the alarm company about its 'stolen' location.
Boomerang was removed by Boomerang at BMW request.
Problem solved.
BTW a battery can only take so many discharges until it fails completely. In one month BMW replaced the battery twice.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:09 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Silber-grau/grau. Vanilla flavored except for cold WX pkg.

Originally Posted by skibarefoot' post='1054993' date='Nov 14 2009, 08:58 PM
Where did my helpers go? I got the scanning/test tool and was playing with it. I got codes I have no idea what to do with. Thanks.
You are now in an area where not many people can help you. You are a pioneer, exploring new ground for the layman.

What scanner did you buy and whom did you get it from?
Old 11-16-2009, 12:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Automatic, Le Mans Edition.Le Mans Blue Individual Paint Special, Syrah Blue Individual Leather, Piano Black Individual Interior Trim, Front seat heating,M Double Spoke 172 19

Originally Posted by skibarefoot' post='1054993' date='Nov 15 2009, 04:58 AM
I can't help you regarding the codes ,but I can add a little on the sleep mode question.I discovered yesterday whilst cleaning my car that it did not go into sleep mode even after an hour with the doors, etc, all closed.It only went into sleep mode when the car was locked (and,of course,the alarm set).
So this raises the question of how to take current measurements before and after sleep mode.I think you would have to bring 2 wires out of the locked trunk to be 100 % sure.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2012 535i xdrive M-Sport Dark Graphite II 2004 545i Black Sapphire Metallic-Retired 2001 525i Titanium Silver Metallic-Retired1994 325ic Convertible Boston Green-Retired 1985 325es Dolphin Grey-Retired

I had the same problem last year and bought a new battery and put it in myself. Almost a year later same problem. The end result is that when putting in a new battery it has to be registered to the car which i did not do last year. After a fresh battery and registered to the computer all is fine. The car actually runs a lot better now. More crisp throttle response and smooth running engine.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:49 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bimmer722' post='1056412' date='Nov 16 2009, 10:32 PM
I had the same problem last year and bought a new battery and put it in myself. Almost a year later same problem. The end result is that when putting in a new battery it has to be registered to the car which i did not do last year. After a fresh battery and registered to the computer all is fine. The car actually runs a lot better now. More crisp throttle response and smooth running engine.

Another member has been helping me greatly troubleshoot through emails. We are trying to figure out what module powers what fuses. I also got a bunch of codes across multiple systems. We think something is awake or just drowsy when the car is indicating it is asleep. We are hoping once we figure out what is in common with the codes and fuses we should have the problem solved. Easier said then done.

The scan tool I bought is Auto Enginuity. It runs on your computer. www.autoenginuity.com I have it for my truck and it works very well. We'll see how it does on the 5er.

If anyone else has the BMW specific codes, wiring prints, fuse power info etc. please let me know.

For access to the car while asleep I have the trunk, passenger and driver doors opened and the glovebox light diconeccted. I then flip the latches on the doors. This is the same as closing the doors.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Automatic, Le Mans Edition.Le Mans Blue Individual Paint Special, Syrah Blue Individual Leather, Piano Black Individual Interior Trim, Front seat heating,M Double Spoke 172 19

Originally Posted by skibarefoot' post='1056422' date='Nov 17 2009, 03:49 AM
For access to the car while asleep I have the trunk, passenger and driver doors opened and the glovebox light diconeccted. I then flip the latches on the doors. This is the same as closing the doors.
What about the boot latch?Surely you should use your remote to lock everything (including the fuel flap) and set the alarm? Otherwise,the car may not go into sleep mode.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:37 PM
Members

Originally Posted by tooltec' post='1056590' date='Nov 17 2009, 03:30 AM
What about the boot latch?Surely you should use your remote to lock everything (including the fuel flap) and set the alarm? Otherwise,the car may not go into sleep mode.

forgot to list those. all the latches are closed I did set the alarm too.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:55 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Silber-grau/grau. Vanilla flavored except for cold WX pkg.

Originally Posted by tooltec' post='1055711
Surely you should use your remote to lock everything (including the fuel flap) and set the alarm? Otherwise,the car may not go into sleep mode.
This must be peculiar to the 530D. The 545 will go into sleep mode without locking the doors. It will go into sleep mode even with the hood open. I don't know about the trunk, but it will turn off the trunk light after 15 minutes so there's a chance it will go into sleep mode then also.

Quick Reply: Battery dies overnight