E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Basic Climate Control Fan Info

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 02:52 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you got your car back yet Skidster, did they fix your air con ? stop keeping us in suspense
Old 04-30-2004, 08:34 AM
Members

Guys

You lot freaked me out so much with all the nay-saying that I re-tested the behaviour of my bog-standard a/c using the following method. Set temperature in the middle of the range, place a/c on auto, fan setting at, say, setting #1, and drive somewhere for long enough for steady state to be reached. Then, stop and crank the temp setting in either direction. Result, the fan speed increases *all of its own* until such time as the temp has changed, then it calms down again. The initial fan setting seems to act as the minimum operating setting but the auto program increases and decreses fan speed from this threshold as dictated by the variance between desired and actual temp. In practice, I just leave it on auto, set around 20deg and forget all about it.

I am still willing to demo for the usual pint down my local.

Good luck, etc.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:11 PM
Members

Ok, after much investigation the service manager from my dealer called back today, he's been very helpful and spent quite a lot of time looking into this.

A while back he'd asked for E60-530d-London's vin (which was kindly emailed to me ) as this seems to be the only car fixed so far. For some reason he can't get the spec of the car up on the bmw system. He says he called chiswick bmw quite a few times and when finally someone went to look for the spec they came back to him saying it's not coming up on their computer duh. They didn't seem to want and go look up any other records.

I also gave him the bmw contact Skidster had talked to (cheers skidster) and after a lot of running around got hold of the guy who told him he had been misinformed by Germany and the official BMW line is that the basic air con does not control the fan and never will !

He also asked if the advanced air con can be retro fitted and the reply from germany is this will not be an option.

For the record the service engineer thought it sucked too and seems a backward step for BMW make.

E60-530d-London, if you are on auto and you rotate the fan setting does the auto light then go off ?
Old 05-06-2004, 10:25 AM
Members

Don't know - will try out & report back......
Old 05-07-2004, 06:00 AM
Members

Garry - when in Auto mode, if I turn the fan dial the light does not go off. The only automatic behaviour that the fan displays is if, when still in Auto mode, I alter the temperature setting. Then it speeds up - and this is what I would expect.

BTW, the car is booked in next Thursday for a complete software update. In another thread, I reported problems with the Bluetooth sometimes failing to connect in-bound calls. This is what they will try to fix next week. I have also got them to promise to fix the TMC.

Will keep you posted.
Old 05-07-2004, 07:49 AM
Senior Members

oh ye of the magical A/c,.. is your nav Pro or Business?

if biz it will be interesting to see if TMC is on or you or not, esp., since it is off on my end!

cheers
Old 05-07-2004, 08:12 AM
Senior Members

Don't want to be a killjoy, but what's the betting the auto a/c stops working after they've done the s/w update
Old 05-07-2004, 08:52 AM
Members

If you are in the garage any chance you can get them to detail what they did to your car to make it work

Or maybe if you point out it works they will quickly break it as it was not working as expected
Old 05-07-2004, 11:24 PM
Members

Oh, you cynical lot.....

Mind you, I will be spitting rivets if they go & screw the fan up again. FYI, my nav is humble biz and, as previously reported, I did get TMC to work in Germany with no effort at all. The tech told me yesterday that he thought it was something to do with my Nav DVD being out of date, and he also mentioned that he thought TMC was a subscription service in the UK. None of this makes much sense to me so I'll ge the work done on Thursday and report back.
Old 05-08-2004, 03:05 AM
stu
Members

Thank goodness for this forum! - Great stuff - keep it up!

Quick Reply: Basic Climate Control Fan Info