E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Basic Climate Control Fan Info

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 08:12 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I logged a call with BMW this morning regarding the fan problem. They called me back this afternoon to confirm that this problem is fixed in the recently released CIP11 software version.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:37 AM
Members

Gents,
For clarity and to reaffirm that BMW has pulled fast one on us all, AUTO A/C means that the system regulates the ambient air temperature by doing these basic things:

Vary the air speed
Control directional air flow through vents
Vary Compressor cycle times
Control air mixture (outside with inside)

Varying your preset temp is not practical, unless the car starts to read your mind, and would not make sense anyway otherwise there would be not temp dial for you to set ... hence the only option available is to vary the airspeed, compressor cycle time & air mixture using your pre set temp as a reference. We are told that there are quite a few sensors in the foot well and dash that measures the ambient air temp. BMW added the air mixture & directional vent option in it's AUTO A/C as part of their "climate control" wonder. Prior to this AUTO A/C control has always controlled the fan speed ... otherwise YOU DO NOT HAVE AUTO A/C!! You will just have a normal A/C system that just cycles the compressor.

So an AUTO A/C system should be able to control fan speed!! PERIOD!!! I hope BMW is reading this cause they are giving us all a big stick up the rear with this gimmick about having an AUTO A/C without fan speed control. I don't see why this particular EXPENSIVE!!!!!! model <_< be surrounded with so so much hoopla over basic industry accepted standards!!!This should be rectified at once and they should admit a corporate mistake like this and have a recall on this item!! Be it hardware or software!!!!
Old 04-16-2004, 10:57 AM
Senior Members

aaaah but to be able to put this to bed!
and I can!

BMW UK called me back today (and, by the way, trust me: I made it more than clear when he last called that i was most certainly NOT a happy camper!)

and the news is that the software, according to him that has been released (in English and in the UK, at least) today and that with the upgrade the fan WILL also be controlled - it will be installed in my car (on the 27th) and he is to call the dealer tech manager direct to provide the specific part # to ensure that I get what he was telling me about.

to repeat: he said the software WILL provide full Auto fan.

Let's hope that this is a case closed...

as for TMC, he indicated a September estimate for that particular software fix;

wrt MP3s that should be sometime before September but no specific date was provided to him.

I told him that I was very pleased.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:20 PM
stu
Members

Hi skidster, thanks for the information.
- may I ask the name of the man who called you ? This might mean I can get the upgrade at my local dealer ( Windsor ) and save the journey into Chiswick ! Thanks
Old 04-23-2004, 03:58 AM
Members

My car was upgraded to V11 yesterday, unfortunately it does not appear provide automatic fan control, as I was lead to believe.

Has anyone else had their software upgraded to V11 to fix this problem? Did it work?

The Auto light does not extinguish when I manually adjust the fan whilst in auto mode, as it does with the air distribution control.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:47 AM
Members

Skidster, do you have a contact name at BMW UK ? My dealer has been looking into this a while now and this would help them figure out just what is going on
Old 04-23-2004, 09:27 AM
Members

Folks - also check out thread http://e60.doit.wisc.edu/forums/index.php?...topic=560&st=15

My dealer (Chiswick BMW) got my auto fan to work automatically. I figured out how to prove this to myself and documented it in the above thread. And, if any of you want me to prove it, I will gladly do so if you are: (a) prepared to drive to west London; and ( prepared to buy me a pint in the Bell & Crown at Strand-on-the-Green (my local).

Good luck with BMW & your local dealers.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:59 AM
Members

BAD NEWS

I went to my dealer (Nottingham) to enquire about the Basic AC Automation issue. The service technician finally agreed to look for a fix after I assured him that there was a problem

According to him (thru info from the BMW technical website), the 'FIX' is not available for cars built before FEB 2004 (no amount of retro-fitting is possible).

Damn!!!
Old 04-26-2004, 11:01 AM
Members

I was told the same thing...

1. The fan is not automatically controlled on cars manufactured before February 2004
2. Cars manufactured before this date cannot have this function retro-fitted
3. Cars manufactured after February 2004 do have fully automatic air conditioning

Then I was contacted by a BMW customer services representative to say that CIP 11 fixed this problem.

I have now recevied the upgrade and still no auto fan.

The Technical expert in the my local dealership is now looking into this.

Fingers crossed.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:05 AM
Members

Yet more conflicting information,

E60-530d-London's car was built last year and has been fixed so what the dealer is telling you doesn't add up with the reality of his car.

Also by fixing it on new cars they are admitting it is a fault therefore should be expected to put it right on all cars.

Quick Reply: Basic Climate Control Fan Info