E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Basic Climate Control Fan Info

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 12:56 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have been reading the posts.
Just wondered whether the auto function does work the fan but it actually takes a while to kick in. I have the advanced a/c on my car E60 but when I had a 325iSE before the climate control took a while to detect the interior temperture and start up the fan. Its the same for the advanced a/c in my car now as well but quicker than in the 325iSE.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:53 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hijack the thread, but BMW530, how do you like the ventilated seats? Also you have the sun protection glass. Do you know something we don't about this summer?
Old 04-14-2004, 01:24 AM
Members

It's pretty easy to tell it doesn't work, when in auto mode you turn the fan up to full blast, auto light stays on and fan goes up to full blast.

No amount of pressing buttons etc will get the system to automatically take control of the fan and then reduce it's speed.

What should happen is when you move the fan setting the auto light should go out and then on repressing take control of the fan again.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:42 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by browellm' date='Apr 13 2004, 03:53 PM
Sorry to hijack the thread, but BMW530, how do you like the ventilated seats? Also you have the sun protection glass. Do you know something we don't about this summer?
browellm,
Well certainly hope we have a summer like last year
Anyway, the ventilated seats are great, not that I've used them much yet! As for the Sun Protection Glass, well its the "in" at the moment isn't it? Most X5s, other BMWs, Lexus's and other cars seem to have tinted glass nowadays, even though its on the rear windows!

To be honest I'm the second owner of the car, so didn't actually choose those extras, it came with it! Probably about thress quarters of the extras on the car I would have chosen myself. The price I paid at the local BMW dealer was too good to miss. I'll let you decide....3 months old, less than 400 miles on the clock. Price new mid ?39k - ?40k. Bought it for ?33k. Bargain???
Old 04-14-2004, 01:30 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BMW530' date='Apr 14 2004, 08:42 PM
Price new mid ?39k - ?40k. Bought it for ?33k. Bargain???
Cheers, I was trying not to think about how much my car had depreciated in value already . Definitely a top bargain
Old 04-14-2004, 02:06 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by browellm' date='Apr 14 2004, 03:30 PM
[quote name='BMW530' date='Apr 14 2004, 08:42 PM'] Price new mid ?39k - ?40k.? Bought it for ?33k.? Bargain???
Cheers, I was trying not to think about how much my car had depreciated in value already . Definitely a top bargain [/quote]
Look on the bright side. We're all in the same boat.
I experienced it on 320iSE after 6 months and then my 325iSE before I got the 530iSE.

Most important thing is that we enjoy driving the car!
Old 04-15-2004, 10:48 AM
Senior Members

According to BMW UK, who called back FINALLY today, the standard air-con (as opposed to advanced) does NOT control fan speed... BMW maintains that this is still automatic as the temperature is controlled automatically.

I told him that I (and several others, such as ye on the boards here, Roadfly, etc.) felt otherwise and that it is patently a lie to call it Auto, particularly in comparison with every other BMW out there with AUTO controls the fan and that it was not in anyway made clear to me that I would not have auto fan control if I did not purchased advanced AC...

He said that he is sorry that I feel that way... in other words, he doesn't give a rat's ass what I feel... while I do love so many things about the car I doubt that I will ever buy another BMW given the shoddy service and far-from customer-orientated service.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:50 PM
Senior Members

Hey Skidster

Why don't you tell this BMW rep how you feel about this? I am pretty sure that BMW does not want their customers to be unhappy. Ask them if it is possible to upgrade to the advanced AC without having to pay for the retrofit (labor to install it). I am pretty sure that this is the least they can do to cover up their marketing mistakes, don't you think so?
Old 04-15-2004, 02:11 PM
stu
Members

Guys - this doesn't tie in with the info from Gary F .... I'll visit Chiswick in teh next 7 days - and promise to get back to you all!
Old 04-16-2004, 02:16 AM

The reply from BMW seems strange as there are many people on this board who reported that their basic climate control DOES control fan speed. I agree that Auto climate control should be able to control fan speed. In any case it would be pretty difficult to alter the interior temperature of the car without changing fan speed. bewildering

Quick Reply: Basic Climate Control Fan Info