E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Bargain Sat Nav offer for UK 520d Models

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 06:11 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone considering a new 5 Series in the UK will be interested to know that BMW have launched an offer of Business Navigation System plus 6 CD Autochanger for just ?350.

Although the BMW factory systems (including the Professional System) are poor compared to today's portable devices, anyone ordering a 520d would be daft not to opt for this as it is only ?50 more than the CD changer!!!

Unfortunately, this offer ONLY apples to the 520d.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:13 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

But the Business version is pretty pointless - no pun intended.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:54 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='520001' date='Jan 19 2008, 05:13 PM
But the Business version is pretty pointless - no pun intended.
In my opinion, both the Professional and Business systems are vastly overpriced when a ?100 portable device will give a better system (speed cameras etc), but this offer means that you get factory fitted Sat Nav for ?50 - and you'd have to be a fool not to opt for that as it would add around ?500 to resale value.

You may not be aware that the latest Business Navigation comes with full colour mapping (like the professional nav in yours and mine) but with slightly fewer facilities.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d Black & SL350

Originally Posted by UK 5 Series' post='520012' date='Jan 19 2008, 05:54 PM
In my opinion, both the Professional and Business systems are vastly overpriced when a ?100 portable device will give a better system (speed cameras etc), but this offer means that you get factory fitted Sat Nav for ?50 - and you'd have to be a fool not to opt for that as it would add around ?500 to resale value.

You may not be aware that the latest Business Navigation comes with full colour mapping (like the professional nav in yours and mine) but with slightly fewer facilities.
By that reasoning, a few of the component parts of an E60 aren't worth it.

The "Bargain" ?300 or so for a CD changer would pay for at least two portable DVD players.

You could buy an FM radio for pennies and sit that on the dashboard too instead of paying for an expensive built-in option!

I have used a Tom tom unit before (it's in my wife's car now) but I didn't fancy driving about in a "premium" car with a little box on the dashboard or windscreen.

BTW, I have speed cameras on my Pro nav system.

Anyway, the current deal on the 520d looks good.

Regards

Martin
Old 01-19-2008, 12:17 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Lancaster' post='520041' date='Jan 19 2008, 07:47 PM
I have used a Tom tom unit before (it's in my wife's car now) but I didn't fancy driving about in a "premium" car with a little box on the dashboard or windscreen.

Most people would share your opinion, but I am sick of throwing thousands of pounds at BMW for what is, in my opinion, a pretty average Navigation setup. I've had it in my last 3 BMW's but I just can't bring myself to waste so much money a 4th time when there are better portable systems for one tenth of the price.

I can live with people sneering at the fact that I won't have a built in system. I'll have the bigger laugh though of not having wasted the money that they have! Vanity comes at a heavy price!
Old 01-19-2008, 12:42 PM
Senior Members

bmw are only doing this because audi are giving them away in a6 2.0d models and they are loosing business user sails to them
Old 01-19-2008, 01:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d Black & SL350

Originally Posted by UK 5 Series' post='520073' date='Jan 19 2008, 09:17 PM
Most people would share your opinion, but I am sick of throwing thousands of pounds at BMW for what is, in my opinion, a pretty average Navigation setup. I've had it in my last 3 BMW's but I just can't bring myself to waste so much money a 4th time when there are better portable systems for one tenth of the price.

I can live with people sneering at the fact that I won't have a built in system. I'll have the bigger laugh though of not having wasted the money that they have! Vanity comes at a heavy price!
Well, I don't grudge you a "Bigger laugh" but the BMW system does have some advantages besides vanity.

The (pro) screen is nice and big with room beside the map display to display the turn off "Countdown" graphic.

It's integrated into idrive and simple functions can be done on the move - with my Tomtom you couldn't faff about so easily with the touch screen.

I don't miss having to charge the Tomtom either, but it comes in handy when I use it in my hire car on holiday.

In any case, it's a free world and I for one would never sneer at you for not taking the built-in option.