E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bad lifter or lifters

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 11:57 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 525i Jet Black, keep my passenger seat extra clean after I(married/3kids) drop off my new mistress(half black/half indian gives great head even though I have Jock itch/yeast infection), don't want anything leaking from her crotch after I have my way with her

Hi All,

I wanted to see if anyone has had the problem or can explain how bad this problem is and should i demand a new car etc.

My car began sounding like a diesal engine. It was getting progressivily worse. I took it to the dealer and they stated it sounded like a bad lifter or lifters. THey also stated the the repair or resolution would need to be guided by BMW and the engine was so new. They would not even look at it until BMW was on the phone as none has had any real experience with the engine.

What I want to know is:

Is a lifter problem a bad engine problem?
Should I request a new engine ?
Will t entire engine need to be rebuilt ?

ANy info or advice would be appreciated. The vehicle only has 5k miles
Old 07-18-2005, 12:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Lifters are just a top end repair, so it is not rebuilding the whole engine. In fact I had to have them replaced on my wifes Volvo at 95k due to noise.

I believe, and could be wrong, but the new 525i engine is really the 3.0l without the Valvetronic - pretty standard stuff and in production for a long time.

Service always goes through BMW recommendations on major issues like this. I am sure it will not be a big deal and replacing the whole engine would be more work than just replacing the lifters. Besides, I don't think they would replace the whole engine, unless you had problems after the lifters where replaced.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:35 PM
Members

I have a 2006 525 comming. please post with the fix. I had a 1995 525 that had a nosie like that and it was the vanos and the new 525 as a dual vanos. it was easy to fix...good luck..
Old 07-18-2005, 10:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 Limo with M-Sport package(m5 mirrors,m5 trunk finisher,m172 summer wheels,blk front grills,m5 paddle shift kit(my530i),m pedal covers,m floor mats, E87 2005 The Misses car E39 2002 Touring with M-Sport package/family wagon(gone but not forgotten)

Originally Posted by jsal' date='Jul 18 2005, 10:51 PM
Lifters are just a top end repair, so it is not rebuilding the whole engine.? In fact I had to have them replaced on my wifes Volvo at 95k due to noise.

I believe, and could be wrong, but the new 525i engine is really the 3.0l without the Valvetronic - pretty standard stuff and in production for a long time.

Service always goes through BMW recommendations on major issues like this.? I am sure it will not be a big deal and replacing the whole engine would be more work than just replacing the lifters.? Besides, I don't think they would replace the whole engine, unless you had problems after the lifters where replaced.
[snapback]150401[/snapback]
If he has a 2006 model, then he has the redesigned motor from BMW! Totaly new and different from prior model year.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by stoogefan' date='Jul 18 2005, 09:57 PM
Hi All,

I wanted to see if anyone has had the problem or can explain how bad this problem is and should i demand a new car etc.

My car began sounding like a diesal engine. It was getting progressivily worse. I took it to the dealer and they stated it sounded like a bad lifter or lifters. THey also stated the the repair or resolution would need to be guided by BMW and the engine was so new. They would not even look at it until BMW was on the phone as none has had any real experience with the engine.

What I want to know is:

Is a lifter problem a bad engine problem?
Should I request a new engine ?
Will t entire engine need to be rebuilt ?

ANy info or advice would be appreciated. The vehicle only has 5k miles
[snapback]150380[/snapback]
I had the lifters replaced in my new 320Ci in 1999. It is not that big of a repair if the problem has not affected the cam etc.

The official E60 2006 model year cars are being manufactured in October in Germany.
Your american way of naming MY is bull.
So you cannot have a 2006 model car atleast officially!

BMW E60 model got the new N52 engine in April (still MY 2005), before that the engine type was M54.

The 545i has had the same N62 engine all thru the E60 production time.But the V8 engines will now be changed in the MY 2006 to 540i and 550i. I do not know the new engine's type.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525i Jet Black, keep my passenger seat extra clean after I(married/3kids) drop off my new mistress(half black/half indian gives great head even though I have Jock itch/yeast infection), don't want anything leaking from her crotch after I have my way with her
Smile

Well I just heard back from the dealer. They broke down the engine and found metal shavings all through it. BMW ordered the engine to be replacaed and the problem engine be sent to a special location for examination to determine what happened.

I am not comfortable with a brand new car and having to get an engine replaced. They are considering just giving me a new car.

Any thoughts ?
Old 07-20-2005, 10:46 AM
Members

I would demand a new car right away, and some sort of compensation. Hope all your problems are fixed soon so you can enjoy your car

cheers,
jack
Old 07-21-2005, 05:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by stoogefan' date='Jul 20 2005, 08:38 PM
Well I just heard back from the dealer. They broke down the engine and found metal shavings all through it. BMW ordered the engine to be replacaed and the problem engine be sent to a special location for examination to determine what happened.

I am not comfortable with a brand new car and having to get an engine replaced. They are considering just giving me a new car.

Any thoughts ?
[snapback]151213[/snapback]

Uups, you'll have to get a new car and at once!

Was your engine the old M54 or the new N52?
Old 07-21-2005, 06:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Mystic Blue/Black Leather Type 124 Wheels

Originally Posted by stoogefan' date='Jul 20 2005, 01:38 PM

Any thoughts ?
[snapback]151213[/snapback]
Not vey uncommon for cars to get new engines early in their lives

Often USA cars get their engines changed at the VPC before the dealer gets the car

Your car should be 100% after the engine change. It comes fully built from the factory and is just swaped over with your old one
Old 07-21-2005, 06:51 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525xi

I believe you are wrong. US MY06 525i/xi has the all new 3.0L engine (N52) which has Valvetronic.

Originally Posted by jsal' date='Jul 18 2005, 04:51 PM
... ...

... ...
[snapback]150401[/snapback]