E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Bad lag w/ Turbo - carbon buildup in intake valves?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 07:24 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by Shydee
I believe 93 octane gas still gives you carbon build up.
Lots of people with n54 engines are starting to clean them with walnut blasters.
Have your dealer clean it up for you.
But im pretty sure itll cost you.
The dealer actually does offer a FI cleaning service for about $200. I'm sure an indy could do it for less.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:47 AM
ADD
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pukka
The dealer actually does offer a FI cleaning service for about $200. I'm sure an indy could do it for less.

I got my 2008 535i intakes cleaned under goodwill @ 72k miles last year. = $0 No extended warranty, but I do have extended maintenance, but I don't think that would be covered.

I guess it depends on how squeaky of a wheel you are, and how good of a relationship you have with the dealership.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535i manual Monaco Blue-Sport Package-Cold Weather Package-Premium Package-Heated Rear Seats-PDC-Ipod Connectivity
Model Year: 2008

Mine was laggy and started to stumble (felt like a misfire). I had reported it prior to the warranty being up but they didn't find anything at the time. Took it back in just after the warranty (54k) and at first they wanted to charge for the "inspection and cleaning", but after I said no, the dealer spoke to one of the reps and they covered the intake cleaning for free. Apparently the valves were pretty badly coated.

Runs much better now
Old 06-09-2012, 04:16 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Originally Posted by gotpowr
Mine was laggy and started to stumble (felt like a misfire). I had reported it prior to the warranty being up but they didn't find anything at the time. Took it back in just after the warranty (54k) and at first they wanted to charge for the "inspection and cleaning", but after I said no, the dealer spoke to one of the reps and they covered the intake cleaning for free. Apparently the valves were pretty badly coated.

Runs much better now

I was just wondering if using a injector cleaner like the Lucas one helps with preventing this issue? I used it in my x5 and lexus gs with great success but I am not sure about our engines.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i
Model Year: 2008

no, it will not help. It is direct injection engine, so...

Originally Posted by Booyaazaa
I was just wondering if using a injector cleaner like the Lucas one helps with preventing this issue? I used it in my x5 and lexus gs with great success but I am not sure about our engines.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:32 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pukka
Good point - but the problem may not be the Direct Injection engineering but rather the timing of the fuel injection during the 4 stroke cycle which is one of the reasons why high octane fuel is required.
Actually, it has everything to do with the engineering of the direct injection system. Fuel type has absolutely no bearing on the issue at all! Fuel timing has absolutely no bearing on the issue at all! People who don't fully understand DI don't realize that fuel is no longer washing over the intake valves during the intake stroke on a DI engine. They don't realize that with a modern PVC system, the some of the oil being recirculated through the intake for burnoff is collecting on the backside of the valves with nothing to wash it off. Toyota saw this issue during development and installed a secondary injector in the port to wash off the backsides of the valves...so its a hybrid system. None of the German manufacturers (or rather, most manufacturers) designed theirs like this. A good example of the same company offering two different designs of DI is with Lexus...the IS250 uses DI with no secondary injection is is having issues with carbon buildup, yet the IS350 uses the secondary injection system with no issues of carbon buildup!
Do a Google search in the issues Audi owners are having...its much worse over there.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:33 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Originally Posted by girmis
no, it will not help. It is direct injection engine, so...
Ah, sorry about that I have only had this car for 2 months and I was coming from a 02 X5. Now that I have got a understanding of the N54 engine I feel like a dummy for asking that question. Definitely a fuel additive would only be pouring money down the drain. It seems that the only thing that has been mentioned as a possible help is to run your engine to redline when accelerating for instance getting up to freeway speed.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:50 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Booyaazaa
Ah, sorry about that I have only had this car for 2 months and I was coming from a 02 X5. Now that I have got a understanding of the N54 engine I feel like a dummy for asking that question. Definitely a fuel additive would only be pouring money down the drain. It seems that the only thing that has been mentioned as a possible help is to run your engine to redline when accelerating for instance getting up to freeway speed.
That still won't help, bro. You'll still eventually have to do a manual cleaning of the valves...
Old 06-10-2012, 05:26 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Jim165
That still won't help, bro. You'll still eventually have to do a manual cleaning of the valves...
Outstanding. Well luckily I have a good local indie shop in town. Unless anyone knows if BMW's CPO and/or maintenance warranty covers it? I still have 3 years, 70k miles left of both coverage and it would be great if it was covered.