E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Awful squeaking...brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 10:44 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2008 BMW 528i with 34k miles has problems with squeaking. When ever I apply the brakes at slow speeds (when making a turn, or slowing down at a light) the brakes squeak like crazy. What could be the problem and would this by covered under warranty?
Old 09-15-2010, 10:52 AM
jgt
Contributors

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

OEM pads? Pretty common occurrence.
I got the dealer to swap them out for free under scheduled maintenance. Second time they told me the pads were still within specs so they couldn't do them.
I've noticed a pattern where trying to get the dealer to do anything under maintenance/warranty is tougher than pulling teeth.
I say just swap them out for Hawk HPS pads all around. Great quiet pads, cheaper than OEM, and virtually DUSTLESS!!!!
Old 09-15-2010, 10:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530i ~ Fully loaded | Sport Package 20" VIP Modular Wheels ICE by Method Sound M Style Body Kit Stop Tech BBK FK High Sport Coilovers RPI Exhaust RPI Air Intake

Should be covered. The pads that bmw use on the 5 series are very soft from what I understand (anyone correct me if im wrong), which cause alot of the squeaking issues and bad dust... I have had the probem before of the sensor wearing down and rubbing (causing a squeal)... Both could be sources of the squeaking...

Hope this helps!
Old 09-15-2010, 12:20 PM
Senior Members

The Dealer doesnt believe in antiseize or grease. Pads yes cant help the situation. Problem with dealer also is they'll throw parts at it, Then 10K miles later symptoms come back.

Quick solution: go to power wash place and wash the shit out of the wheels, then go to the parts store and get a can of brake cleaner and spray all rotor and caliper, near the sensor anywhere and everywhere ..that might help
Old 09-15-2010, 01:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 Jet Black 545i w/ sport pkg, nav, HUD

If your pads are within spec, you can try rebedding them:

From 60mph, gently apply the brakes a couple of times to bring them up to operating temperature. This prevents you from thermally shocking the rotors and pads in the next steps.

Make eight to ten near-stops from 60mph to about 10-15 mph. Do it HARD by pressing the brakes firmly, but do not lock the wheels or engage ABS. At the end of each slowdown, immediately accelerate back to 60mph and then apply the brakes again. DO NOT COME TO A COMPLETE STOP! If you stop completely and sit with your foot on the brake pedal, you will imprint pad material onto the hot rotors, which could lead to vibration and uneven braking.

The brakes may begin to fade after the 7th or 8th near-stop. This fade will stabilize, but not completely go away until the brakes have fully cooled. A strong smell from the brakes, and even some smoke, is normal.

After the last near-stop, accelerate back up to speed and cruise for a while, using the brakes as little as possible. The brakes need only a few minutes to cool down. Try not to become trapped in traffic or come to a complete stop while the brakes are still very hot.

Also, I've heard that doing stops in reverse(20-5 mph) have remedied brake sqeal.

Hope this helps,
Will
Old 09-15-2010, 03:47 PM
Senior Members

lospice1
Old 09-15-2010, 07:53 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW

Can you rebed brakes after driving with them for awhile and without taking them off the calipers and putting them back in?
Old 09-15-2010, 10:33 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

we carry some aftermarket pads that for sure will not squeak and also they do significantly reduce brake dust
Old 09-16-2010, 11:12 AM
Senior Members

Guys thanks for all the insight and help this is why I love E60.net. Nerwyll thanks I will definitely keep you in mind if I need new pads .
Old 09-16-2010, 11:15 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW

I just had full brakes done about 500 miles ago. All 4 rotors changed with R1 concept and all 4 pads changed out with Hawk HPS pads. Still squeaks. I did the whole bedding procedure....twice. Weird thing is that it doesn't squeak in the morning. It squeaks after the brakes have warmed up and only at low speeds such as navigating in a parking structure or creeping and stopping...again, only when the car has been going for awhile.

Quick Reply: Awful squeaking...brakes?