E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Avoid Corrosion, apply handbrake occasionally

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 01:07 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 550i M Sport Package - Alpine White/Blk Nasca Leather, Premium hi-fi system, Sat Radio, Nav, Cold Weather Package, Value Package, Shift Paddles, Comfort Access keyless entry, Power rear Sunshade, Front Ventilated seats, Split fold-down rear seats, Heated rear seats, Automatic high beams

I got stick. I use my parking blake often.
From other cars I've worked on, only the rear has double duty. If u remove the disk u will see the drum on the inside which is controled by a physical cable to your parking brake.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Mercy' date='Oct 10 2005, 02:07 PM
I got stick. I use my parking blake often.
From other cars I've worked on, only the rear has double duty. If u remove the disk u will see the drum on the inside which is controled by a physical cable to your parking brake.
[snapback]182315[/snapback]

So the rear has BOTH a drum and a Disc brake system?
Old 10-11-2005, 10:25 AM
Senior Members

After washing the car I always drive slowly down the driveway with the handbrake lightly applied. This cleans the rear discs nicely, but I wonder if once per week is enough?
Old 10-11-2005, 10:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Oct 11 2005, 08:11 AM
[quote name='Mercy' date='Oct 10 2005, 02:07 PM']I got stick. I use my parking blake often.

[snapback]182408[/snapback]
[/quote]

Have you seen a rotor (not on the car) the part for the hand brake is behind those holes. The parking brake does not use the disc part, so you rear disc may look clean but the parking brake could be a different story.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:51 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AC_S5' date='Oct 11 2005, 08:38 PM
[quote name='EBMCS03' date='Oct 11 2005, 08:11 AM'][quote name='Mercy' date='Oct 10 2005, 02:07 PM']I got stick. I use my parking blake often.

[snapback]182408[/snapback]
[/quote]

Have you seen a rotor (not on the car) the part for the hand brake is behind those holes. The parking brake does not use the disc part, so you rear disc may look clean but the parking brake could be a different story.
[snapback]182779[/snapback]
[/quote]

Not sure if I am following your point, but there is no doubt that applying the handbrake does use the rear discs.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by BMW#5' date='Oct 12 2005, 02:51 AM
Not sure if I am following your point, but there is no doubt that applying the handbrake does use the rear discs.
[snapback]182788[/snapback]
Yes the parking brake is in the rear disc, but it does not use the surface that you can see through your rims which mean it does not use your caliper. It uses the part inside behind the holes where the bolts would come out and the parking brake is similar to a system found on the drum brakes. If you know what a drum brake is, you should get the picture of where that little drum would be located on the rear disc.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:06 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AC_S5' date='Oct 11 2005, 08:58 PM
[quote name='BMW#5' date='Oct 12 2005, 02:51 AM']
[snapback]182788[/snapback]
Yes the parking brake is in the rear disc, but it does not use the surface that you can see through your rims which mean it does not use your caliper. It uses the part inside behind the holes where the bolts would come out and the parking brake is similar to a system found on the drum brakes. If you know what a drum brake is, you should get the picture of where that little drum would be located on the rear disc.
[snapback]182790[/snapback]
[/quote]

After washing the car (if the car stands for a while) you will see rust coloured powder coating the discs (front & rear). When parking the car after washing, the process of applying the handbrake definitely cleans the rear discs (which will not happen if you only use the regular brakes). So now I am confused.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:14 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BMW#5' date='Oct 12 2005, 03:06 AM
After washing the car (if the car stands for a while) you will see rust coloured powder coating the discs (front & rear). When parking the car after washing, the process of applying the handbrake definitely cleans the rear discs (which will not happen if you only use the regular brakes). So now I am confused.
[snapback]182799[/snapback]
OK Here's how I picture you ok, after you wash your car, the disc gets rusty so you get in your car and drive and apply your handbrake. Then you stop your car (by applying your footbrake I assume) and you get out, all four disc is now clean right? That's the reason, you used your footbrake and naturally all four disc will by applied and therefore all four disc are clean.

If you still don't get what I say next time after washing your car and with rusty disc, put the car in drive for a slow (and I mean slow) roll and use your handbrake to stop your car (if possible) when the car comes to a complete stop then put your car back in P (assuming you have auto) step out to see if your disc is still clean.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:26 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AC_S5' date='Oct 11 2005, 09:14 PM
[quote name='BMW#5' date='Oct 12 2005, 03:06 AM']

[snapback]182799[/snapback]
OK Here's how I picture you ok, after you wash your car, the disc gets rusty so you get in your car and drive and apply your handbrake. Then you stop your car (by applying your footbrake I assume) and you get out, all four disc is now clean right? That's the reason, you used your footbrake and naturally all four disc will by applied and therefore all four disc are clean.

If you still don't get what I say next time after washing your car and with rusty disc, put the car in drive for a slow (and I mean slow) roll and use your handbrake to stop your car (if possible) when the car comes to a complete stop then put your car back in P (assuming you have auto) step out to see if your disc is still clean.
[snapback]182802[/snapback]
[/quote]

Don't get me wrong, I know what you are saying. But I will do the test & let you know what happens.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:36 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BMW#5' date='Oct 12 2005, 03:26 AM
Don't get me wrong, I know what you are saying. But I will do the test & let you know what happens.
[snapback]182813[/snapback]
That's what this forum is for, I understand not everybody is as into these thing as I am and not everyone understand what goes on under your car.

Quick Reply: Avoid Corrosion, apply handbrake occasionally