E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Avoid Corrosion, apply handbrake occasionally

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 04:45 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Centurion' date='Oct 7 2005, 11:53 PM
[quote name='EBMCS03' date='Oct 7 2005, 06:12 PM']I believe the hand book means to pull it slightly WHILE its moving, meaning let the brakes drag a little right? Not just using them when you're stopped... but while the car is actually moving...
Correct...and if you do it around a curve, powerslide!
[snapback]181181[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yes, done that many times with my fwd cars i owned. Even at high speeds i tryed to slide too much (smth like 100km/h on cubic pavement and lost control because i countersteered too much when the car oversteered). BUT now with my rwd bmw it's all about turning the dsc off completley and punching the throttle a few times (1,2 max 3) and whoooa goes the rear end. I like this at higher speeds like 80-90km/h not on low speeds 30-40. On high speeds it's a bit harder to brake traction and you have to stay focused not to do anything brutal to the steering (keep it linear and simple). Did i mention the car is soooooooo beautifully balanced for it's size?

AND BTW PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME:
When countersteering in a drift at 70 km/h or so, i get a weird noise/sensation from the front tire on the outside of the turn. It's like the rim touches the ground, that kind of noise. It did this on both left side and right side when drifing at higher speeds. Maybe the run flats ar the reason? Because it has stiffer side walls? Hmmm
Old 10-08-2005, 06:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' date='Oct 8 2005, 05:45 AM
Yes, done that many times with my fwd cars i owned. Even at high speeds i tryed to slide too much (smth like 100km/h on cubic pavement and lost control because i countersteered too much when the car oversteered). BUT now with my rwd bmw it's all about turning the dsc off completley and punching the throttle a few times (1,2 max 3) and whoooa goes the rear end. I like this at higher speeds like 80-90km/h not on low speeds 30-40. On high speeds it's a bit harder to brake traction and you have to stay focused not to do anything brutal to the steering (keep it linear and simple). Did i mention the car is soooooooo beautifully balanced for it's size?

When countersteering in a drift at 70 km/h or so, i get a weird noise/sensation from the front tire on the outside of the turn. It's like the rim touches the ground, that kind of noise. It did this on both left side and right side when drifing at higher speeds. Maybe the run flats ar the reason? Because it has stiffer side walls? Hmmm
[snapback]181248[/snapback]
I've never drifted with the e60.
I use to do this with my previous cars, Toyota MR2 Turbo, Mazda RX7 Turbo. Both rear wheelers. Only did this for fun really and nothing more. By the way, making donuts in the snow is hilarious.

The sound you're describing seems strange. However, since it's the outside wheel and occurs up front, I would think it's the tire coming into contact with the wheel well. The body roll that occurs can really push the outer side of the car down onto the tires sometimes.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: V8 beast!

Originally Posted by ben_loper' date='Oct 6 2005, 08:38 PM
well, I can't say I remember to intentionally apply it when coming to a stop, however I often apply it then forget to take it off when starting to drive, so I guess it gets a little bit of use that way.
[snapback]180629[/snapback]
You and me both,infact I do this about once a month,so I guess I'm covered.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Centurion' date='Oct 8 2005, 07:55 PM
By the way, making donuts in the snow is hilarious.
[snapback]181519[/snapback]

Now where are you making donuts in the snow? Big Bear? Mt High? Mammoth? Tahoe?
Old 10-08-2005, 07:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Oct 8 2005, 08:01 PM
[quote name='Centurion' date='Oct 8 2005, 07:55 PM']By the way, making donuts in the snow is hilarious.

Now where are you making donuts in the snow? Big Bear? Mt High? Mammoth? Tahoe?
[snapback]181524[/snapback]
[/quote]
Haha! Good point.
I use to hit Bear Mountain a lot until I actually got a real job. Before that, it was Mountain High. Now, Vail in CO has become a favorite.
Old 10-09-2005, 12:02 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Centurion' date='Oct 8 2005, 09:55 PM
[quote name='BetterMakeWay' date='Oct 8 2005, 05:45 AM']Yes, done that many times with my fwd cars i owned. Even at high speeds i tryed to slide too much (smth like 100km/h on cubic pavement and lost control because i countersteered too much when the car oversteered). BUT now with my rwd bmw it's all about turning the dsc off completley and punching the throttle a few times (1,2 max 3) and whoooa goes the rear end. I like this at higher speeds like 80-90km/h not on low speeds 30-40. On high speeds it's a bit harder to brake traction and you have to stay focused not to do anything brutal to the steering (keep it linear and simple). Did i mention the car is soooooooo beautifully balanced for it's size?

[snapback]181248[/snapback]
I've never drifted with the e60.
I use to do this with my previous cars, Toyota MR2 Turbo, Mazda RX7 Turbo. Both rear wheelers. Only did this for fun really and nothing more. By the way, making donuts in the snow is hilarious.

The sound you're describing seems strange. However, since it's the outside wheel and occurs up front, I would think it's the tire coming into contact with the wheel well. The body roll that occurs can really push the outer side of the car down onto the tires sometimes.
[/quote]
Really !? OMG in this case i should start looking for damage...i suppose!
Old 10-09-2005, 12:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Black 520i, Black leather interior, Active Steering, DSC, PDC, Ornamental grille, Audio Aux Input

tried it today on a clear stretch of road....
Old 10-09-2005, 01:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by eugeneloke' date='Oct 9 2005, 01:11 AM
tried it today on a clear stretch of road....?
[snapback]181600[/snapback]

And what happened? Lots of squeeling noises?
Old 10-09-2005, 01:40 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ben_loper' date='Oct 6 2005, 07:38 PM
well, I can't say I remember to intentionally apply it when coming to a stop, however I often apply it then forget to take it off when starting to drive, so I guess it gets a little bit of use that way.
[snapback]180629[/snapback]
That makes the two of us.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Ok, I've done this a few times (I RTFM).

I have a question though. There's a point in the application that if you pull hard enough, there's actually a sort of grinding or very abrasive sensation and sound. Is this what we want to be feeling, or is light pressure enough?

Quick Reply: Avoid Corrosion, apply handbrake occasionally