E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

average MPH/MPG

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 05:24 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2008 535i 18.7 MPG Before HPFP was replaced, 25.4 MPG after HPFP was replaced. Not sure on the MPH...
Old 11-21-2010, 08:02 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Persian_535i
2008 535i 18.7 MPG Before HPFP was replaced, 25.4 MPG after HPFP was replaced. Not sure on the MPH...
MPG is irrelevant without MPH!
Old 11-21-2010, 08:04 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tuffluck
MPG is irrelevant without MPH!
I realize that, but my driving habit hasn't changed pre hpfp / post hpfp change. Was simply commenting on my current MPG and how it was affected with the hpfp change for my vehicle year/model! yeesh
Old 11-21-2010, 08:22 PM
Senior Members

I realize that, but my driving habit hasn't changed pre hpfp / post hpfp change. Was simply commenting on my current MPG and how it was affected with the hpfp change for my vehicle year/model! yeesh
well let us know what it is when you get an average mph.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:43 PM
Senior Members

Anywhoooo I think the post should have been MPH/MPG/Wheel Diameter since MPG is affected also by wheel diameter. Upgrading from 18" wheels to 20" wheels is gonna make a difference for sure and most people on this forum have aftermarket wheels.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i

04 530i

24.5 MPH .... 21.8 MPG
Old 11-22-2010, 07:20 AM
Senior Members

Anywhoooo I think the post should have been MPH/MPG/Wheel Diameter since MPG is affected also by wheel diameter. Upgrading from 18" wheels to 20" wheels is gonna make a difference for sure and most people on this forum have aftermarket wheels.
interesting point. don't people get their odometer/speedometer fixed when they change wheels? that would result in accurate MPH/MPG readings. otherwise i'm not sure why anyone would post if their MPH/MPG are wrong.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:30 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Originally Posted by tuffluck
interesting point. don't people get their odometer/speedometer fixed when they change wheels? that would result in accurate MPH/MPG readings. otherwise i'm not sure why anyone would post if their MPH/MPG are wrong.
Changing wheel size does not necessarily mean tire diameter change.

Who here have you heard about corrected their speedo after a tire dia change?

The weight of the wheel can have an effect on MPG.

Also our computers are not very accurate as it is, have you actually calculated the real mileage compared to the computer?

And from a past post, some of us knowingly or not have gallons set on imperial instead of US.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:29 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by healthservices
Also our computers are not very accurate as it is, have you actually calculated the real mileage compared to the computer?
dude people are having a hard enough time following instructions and posting their car type, average MPH and average MPG, so i doubt seriously they are giving necessarily accurate MPG results.

to note on that, how would you calculate exact MPG? IMO if you go to a different gas pump and fill up and calculate MPG that way, it's not going to be accurate either since each gas pump surely cuts off the fuel (i.e. thinks you're topped off) on different intervals anyway, changing the total amount of fuel in your tank and thus affecting the MPG.

Originally Posted by healthservices
Changing wheel size does not necessarily mean tire diameter change.

Who here have you heard about corrected their speedo after a tire dia change?

The weight of the wheel can have an effect on MPG.

And from a past post, some of us knowingly or not have gallons set on imperial instead of US.
i don't know anything about BMW and wheel sizes. all i know is if you change the diameter it might affect the speedometer/odometer readings and you need calibration. if there is no such calibration for the BMW, then people who change their wheels and consequently their odometer readings should not be posting on this thread with insufficient and incorrect data. as for having heavy wheels that lower MPG, too bad for them. no way to really include that in our averages.

and MPG UK/US, i would say since i'm in the US and i started the post, it would make sense people on the UK digits would convert, but as i mentioned earlier, people with problems reading instructions most likely are not going to do that. in the meantime, i'll post what people provide. if they don't know how to follow instructions and post meaningful information, i can't really help it!
Old 11-22-2010, 10:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i - Sport Package, Sport Transmission, Active Steering, Navigation, Comfort Access, 7 Logic Stereo

2008 550i

MPG: 14.1
MPH: 21.6

Quick Reply: average MPH/MPG