E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auxiliary fan replacement help

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 05:38 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i MSport
Default Auxiliary fan replacement help

Before people mention it, yes, I know I'm butchering my car, I'm in college and I'm just trying to keep it running a few more months. Anyways, I started to notice that my fan was only running intermittently for about a week, then it died entirely causing some overheating issues. When I purchased the car used back in february, the previous owner said that he had pulled the bumper off on a parking stopper; there was no cosmetic damage other than a broken clip, however, it ripped the fog light connectors out of the assembly. I never bothered replacing the fog lights, so when I was in a pinch and after some forum searching, I found another member mentioning installing 2 10 inch fans in lieu of the OEM. I wired them to the then unused fog light wires, and it seemed to be working well until recently. When I sit idling for too long or get caught in traffic for >15 minutes, the car will start to overheat. So today, I bought an 18 inch fan, followed a DIY guide on this forum for replacing the OEM fan motor, but instead of replacing the motor, I ripped out the old fan and put the new one into the assembly. The problem I'm faced with now is that the new fan will draw too much power from the fog light circuit, so I need help finding another 12v power source in the engine bay that I can tap into before I have to try to run a direct wire through the firewall all the way back to the trunk with a rocker switch. Thanks in advance.