E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

AUX Input - My SA says it is Ipod only?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 01:48 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Silver Grey Metallic 545i, Logic 7, Comfort Seats with Black Dakota Leather, Sirius Satellite Radio, Euro Reflectors, Aux Input Build Date 9/03

So I get the AUX input installed at my service visit. I plug in my Zune player and no sound through my speakers, and yes there is an AUX input option on my idrive. I call my SA and tell her that it does not work and she says it is only for an ipod and that my zune player will not work with it. I told her she was wrong and she put me on hold, presumably to go ask someone and came back and told me that no I was wrong and that I had to use an ipod . So guys, help me out, won't the AUX input accept audio from any external source?

Thanks,

Scott
Old 09-05-2007, 01:56 PM
Members

I am extremly intrested in finding this one out. I have an 04 with aux that plays Ipod perfectly but not my sirius via aux output. I am making appt to shop tommorw. I simply cant understand why the car would even know what source the sound is coming from???
Old 09-05-2007, 01:58 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ATLESixty' post='466223' date='Sep 5 2007, 03:48 PM
So I get the AUX input installed at my service visit. I plug in my Zune player and no sound through my speakers, and yes there is an AUX input option on my idrive. I call my SA and tell her that it does not work and she says it is only for an ipod and that my zune player will not work with it. I told her she was wrong and she put me on hold, presumably to go ask someone and came back and told me that no I was wrong and that I had to use an ipod . So guys, help me out, won't the AUX input accept audio from any external source?

Thanks,
Scott
They are 100% wrong. You are 100% correct. Easy way to solve it - take your Zune player to the dealer. Plug it in to one of the E60's, which all now come with Aux input as standard. Hit play and watch them apologise.

I had Aux input retro fitted to our old E60, and used a non-ipod source. It is just a 3.5mm stereo jack plug that takes a line level input, you could plug in an old walkman, a cd-player, infact I used the aux-input as the sound input for a DVD player that I fitted to the car aswell.

Interestingly though, when I had my aux-input fitted, I also got no sound at all from it. Took it back to the dealer, they took it back in the shop for TWO HOURS, and it came out working. You would think they'd keep a basic mp3 player in stock to test it before handing it to the customer.

Anyway, others will post here and back up my post so you don't have to trust just one answer, but I guarantee that they are wrong, it's an AUX input _not_ and IPOD input. BMW do make an IPod interface which replaces the CD-Changer, and that is of course IPOD only, but not the AUX...
Old 09-05-2007, 01:59 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GADGETEMT' post='466224' date='Sep 5 2007, 03:56 PM
I am extremly intrested in finding this one out. I have an 04 with aux that plays Ipod perfectly but not my sirius via aux output. I am making appt to shop tommorw. I simply cant understand why the car would even know what source the sound is coming from???
Have you plugged something else in to your sirius aux output to make sure sound is coming out of it? And checked the cable? Sorry for asking basic questions, but I have read before about people complaining their aux input doesn't work only for them later to come back and say "I hadn't turned it up", "I had the stereo on mute", "the cable was faulty", etc etc.

Old 09-05-2007, 02:16 PM
Members

My Ride: Silver Grey Metallic 545i, Logic 7, Comfort Seats with Black Dakota Leather, Sirius Satellite Radio, Euro Reflectors, Aux Input Build Date 9/03

Thanks for the confirmation Russ, I am so sick and tired of taking my car in and when something does not come out right and I bring it to their attention and then I am made to feel like an a**hole by an SA who does not know what the hell they are talking about. I mean, isn't this their job? I love my car, but i may reconsider buying another BMW simply because I am sick of putting up with the BS from the dealership.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:41 PM
Contributors

Yeah that does suck ... I don't suppose there is another dealer that you could use? You might have to travel a little further but it might be worth it. Might be worth posting a new thread asking for advice on a good dealer in your region.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:06 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330xi, Premium Package, Cold weather package

I would suggest using a different dealership and/or a different SA if possible....... i have "kind of" the same issues...and i drive an additional 20 mins to use another dealership.......

also, it helps sometimes to identify a SA who works well with you (might take a couple of attempts) and then work with him/her exclusively.

Originally Posted by ATLESixty' post='466234' date='Sep 5 2007, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the confirmation Russ, I am so sick and tired of taking my car in and when something does not come out right and I bring it to their attention and then I am made to feel like an a**hole by an SA who does not know what the hell they are talking about. I mean, isn't this their job? I love my car, but i may reconsider buying another BMW simply because I am sick of putting up with the BS from the dealership.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Then ask them why my cassette player works so well (in STEREO).

Tell them not to confuse iPod MOST interface with AUX(iliary) IN(put) which by definition is for anything that has an audio output.

AUX Input - My SA says it is Ipod only?-645interior_day4.jpg
Old 09-06-2007, 07:09 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='466478' date='Sep 6 2007, 09:05 AM
... cassette player ...
Ummm ... cassette player?? They still make those?
Old 09-06-2007, 08:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='466482' date='Sep 6 2007, 11:09 AM
Ummm ... cassette player?? They still make those?
Whenever I post this or similar photos it always brings out the inevitable comment

Yes they do still make players, but tape is getting harder to find (decent quality that is). I do unattended recording of special programming off of Public Broadcasting on FM during odd hours and playback during my daily commute and for long trips. The types of things not even on our Satellite Radio, at least not when I WANT them. I do about 12 hours of recording each and every week. This includes some news from the BBC no less.