E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

AUX INPUT CABLE $29.99!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 08:11 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
There is a reason why those contacts lock into the plug. That's the reason why I recommend using the correct ones. The correct ones can be removed from the plugs as many times as you like without damaging either the plug or the contact.

You should be using one from http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...17&hg=61&fg=15 depending on the size of the wire that you are using. The OEM socket uses a 0.75mm wire.

You don't have to take my advice, but one day you may thank me that you did.

Bruce- specifically which one should be used from this list? It should be the socket, correct? If so, #1, 2 or 5?
Old 03-13-2012, 07:42 AM
Members

I mean i think it is kind of funny it has taken someone this long to "Reverse Engineer" this cable form BMW. 29.99 seems like an ok deale for a $2 connector and $2 of wire + 15 mins labor.

I am game if it has the correct connector pins on the other end of the cable. (if needed) (not shown in pics)

Looks like a quality product from the pics.

I am in the Charlotte Area if anyone wants their vehicle coded for this cable...
Old 03-13-2012, 09:15 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Very entertaining read here. I too agree there is nothing wrong with making something better and offering it up for the same price or in this case even a better price provided copyrights etc are not infringed on. I picked up on the amount of material cost involved and the potential profit of ~ 24.00 for the cable maker. Imagine the profit when one pays 79.00 for the same thing! A lot of things you pay for is the idea and the knowledge. A good example is the cost that some charge for coding. I once had a recommendation from another member to contact a guy who codes. When I did and realized the price he was going to charge me I gently picked myself back up off the floor... $500.00 to code the Nav that was added and he said he would throw in a few more changes for free. I eventually did the coding with the help of two other members here for the astonishing price of $0.00 minus my cost for the cable. Some of the pricing on coding I found to be around $50-100. When you look at this, there is no materials involved at all, pure labor and knowledge etc. This took ~ 10 minutes to complete which equatates to $5.00 per minute or $300.00 per hour! So one has to decide if this is worth it to them. But if you don't KNOW how to code, them maybe it is...
Old 03-13-2012, 09:18 AM
Members

IS there anyone in the Atlanta area that can do the coding for this? or better yet guide me in doing it?

thanks in advance, Frank
Old 03-13-2012, 09:33 AM
Members

Bought one... Will let you know on the quality / tech support.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:07 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

I don't think its a fair comparison between the BMW cable and the others. Sure it may do the same function and yes BMW do make a decent profit margin on it but there is a screen printed metal label plate, there is a smd pcb with components, there is taping, crimping. If you investigate the cost of set-up for these items only you're realise that its not cheap.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:11 AM
Ogg
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Logic 7 Navi 2002 M5 Reps Remus Exhaust

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
Ethnocentric in regards to u saying things like this is America or the american way. Speak for yourself not others. Please don't misrepresent the whole of America. In china there is a lot of bootlegging and even replicating going on, but I dare not say "all those Chinese" but thank you for the definition, stil stand by the word because your way is not the whole of American custom or culture.
From what I gather here, you bought something and decided to do one like it (idea) yourself and then resell it to others. Doesnt look the same of course because it's split in half. I just asked if you could post the diy you were given because I want to see it. I didn't find the TIS very instructional at all and even correct for that matter.
This should really be in the classifieds section can a mod move it there. This site is getting so disorganized it's unbelievable.
GLWS anyway. Bill gates made it big maybe you can too!
if you dont like the way this forum is run, then do us all a favor and dont post in it.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:16 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
I don't think its a fair comparison between the BMW cable and the others. Sure it may do the same function and yes BMW do make a decent profit margin on it but there is a screen printed metal label plate, there is a smd pcb with components, there is taping, crimping. If you investigate the cost of set-up for these items only you're realise that its not cheap.
I personally think the markup is high if buying a BMW OE Aux kit for around $70. I did this sometime back and had to actually remove the pins from the X connector and put them in my existing X connector. Total cost of creating your own Aux kit would probably be about $5-$10 but they do use electrostatic felt tape and the exact metal plate is not easy to find. However, I do assume that they also get quality items in bulk and have their products assembled elsewhere. The we also have to factor in the cost of engineers writing up documentation for tech to understand and creating the retrofit path in the CIP function of dealer software. So pysical cable around $5-$10 and the overall cost cannot be more than $20 for all of this considering the files for manipulation to the Vehicle Order and enabling these options are already available!

Originally Posted by Ogg
if you dont like the way this forum is run, then do us all a favor and dont post in it.
LOL so you speak for everyone on this forum now? what is your problem? I just mentioned this thread SHOULD BE in the CLASSIFIED SECTION. I've been here for about 3 years and have over 1100 quality posts in which I actually HELP members. I've helped MANY members on this forum. How many could you have possibly helped? 27 at most seeming you have only 27 posts. Maybe you should re-read what you wrote to me. Out of all these comments you had to come to me with this post? You're a real champ Ogg. Sorry if I didn't welcome you. I rarely frequent those threads. Enjoy the forum. Oh wait! you're the guy with the belt squeal. Perhaps I rubbed you the wrong way when I gave you legitimate advice.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:22 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
I just woke up thinking its 5:58am!! Wtf with this dst stuff.
Wow @ ur response. Ethnocentric. You seem like a major @ssh0l3 bro.
So with ur cable we have to still get a male to male aux cable to plug into our aux port? I would just get the cable on the right and put it under my armrest!!!
Can you post the DIY you received? I have TIS and I'll be able to see if it's a copy and paste.
Ethnocentric? Really?

How is he an a__hole? Someone tried to bash his product he explained everything clearly. I just graduated lawschool, not a lawyer yet, find out in May, but I do know a few things. As long as the product wasn't patented he can do whatever he wants. Further, even if someone tries to patent it now it would probably be too late because of common usage. As long as brendin doesn't slander the other bussiness then all is well, even if slander does occur damages have to be proven. Its all competition, when there is competition the consumer wins.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:35 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Well guess who did graduate and WHO did pass the bar in his state and is not practicing law? I can do whatever I want to do and chose not to. I'm quite aware of common law and didn't say ANYTHING about law. At all. The way he was talking just wasn't ...for lack of a better term... classy? So now you are probably in debt on your car and probably in debt with loans for your law school and you are angry with me because I caused all of this.

Dayton and Springboro are not too far, go give each other a hug. And yes, ethnocentric. really.

Thank you for the informative post or the bump in order to keep this thread on the top.

Quick Reply: AUX INPUT CABLE $29.99!