E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

AUX Bass and Sound Quality Problem Solved!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 09:26 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This seems to be a great solution (removing these resistors), but I would try to connect a Iriver mp3-player, which has a non-balanced line out (so output power mounts with the volume) which gives more or less 900mV(L) + 900mV?, (47KOhm) at Max. Volume.

Any risk if the resistors are removed to harm the audio system ?
Old 03-19-2006, 01:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 530i 6-speed Titanium Silver/Black Interior Premium Package Sport Package Aux input 30 GB video iPod Cold Weather Package Xenon Red rear reflectors Tint Clear Bra

Anyone have more tips on removing the glove box? I removed the screws in front and sides but could not pull down the glove box.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:32 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by singhss' post='256954' date='Mar 18 2006, 09:04 PM
You can make your own setup if you want to, and avoid purchasing the BMW Aux Input cable. I bought 100 of the proprietary terminal connectors from Tyco electronics(which is the OEM supplier of this part to BMW) that connect to the back of the CCC.

To DIY you will need 3 wires for the aux input (Left,Right, Ground). I have made this harness for a bunch of people and they work great. All you need is 3 good quality wires, 3 terminal connectors(the Tyco ones) to plug into the CCC, and the 1/8" female jack from Radio Shack (I think it was like $2-3). You just solder things together and get the dealer to program the Aux Input to the Vehicle Order ($30-$45) and you are all set.

Let me know if any of you guys want the Tyco terminal connectors that fit the back of the CCC to DIY, cuz I got plenty to sell.
What is the Tyco terminal connectors part number? Does anyone know where to get these tyco connectors in the UK?
Old 03-20-2006, 11:48 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 525i - Silver Gray Metallic - Black Leather - Poplar Trim - Steptronic - Sport Package - Premium Package - Xenon Adaptive Headlights - Satellite Radio Prep - Rear Bumper Reflectors

Originally Posted by Bedford530i' post='257385' date='Mar 19 2006, 02:12 PM
Anyone have more tips on removing the glove box? I removed the screws in front and sides but could not pull down the glove box.
There is also one more screw on the bottom of the box in the passenger's footwell on the left... did you remove that one?

Once the screws are removed, the compartment should be loose. You should be able to at least pull it down a few inches and notice that there are two plastic hooks, one on the left and one on the right that are still holding up the compartment. Disengage them and you should be able to pull the compartment down more... just enough to be able to reach for the cables in the back.

Good luck!
Old 03-21-2006, 08:41 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i 6spd manual. Euro Delivery, Nav, Sport Pkg, 35%Johnson Tint

When i did the aux install I didnt have to remove my glove box, I simply undid those straps on the side and that gave it the extra few inches I needed to drill holes for the jack.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 530i 6-speed Titanium Silver/Black Interior Premium Package Sport Package Aux input 30 GB video iPod Cold Weather Package Xenon Red rear reflectors Tint Clear Bra

Originally Posted by PotatoAddict' post='257965' date='Mar 21 2006, 03:48 AM
There is also one more screw on the bottom of the box in the passenger's footwell on the left... did you remove that one?

Once the screws are removed, the compartment should be loose. You should be able to at least pull it down a few inches and notice that there are two plastic hooks, one on the left and one on the right that are still holding up the compartment. Disengage them and you should be able to pull the compartment down more... just enough to be able to reach for the cables in the back.

Good luck!
Thanks -- I did not remove that screw. I'll try it again when I have the time.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:54 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='253609' date='Mar 12 2006, 05:03 AM
Don't tease - how do I do this please?

I've managed to get - 'ok' - bass response, but have been considering trying to re-equalize all of my MP3's - where are the capacitors and resister thingys?
All I got to say is that "You are the man!". I've been wanting to do this for a while, just haven't gotten around to it due to other life priorities. I pretty much had just stopped using my iPod in the BMW since it was such a crappola sound. I even posted several times about it and always got the response of "mine sounds fine", yadda, yadda, yadda. I'm glad everyone here in this thread realizes the sound degradation from the factory aux input and that you had the balls to do something about it.

Nice job.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:25 AM
Members

Originally Posted by acribb' post='258169' date='Mar 21 2006, 10:54 PM
All I got to say is that "You are the man!". I've been wanting to do this for a while, just haven't gotten around to it due to other life priorities. I pretty much had just stopped using my iPod in the BMW since it was such a crappola sound. I even posted several times about it and always got the response of "mine sounds fine", yadda, yadda, yadda. I'm glad everyone here in this thread realizes the sound degradation from the factory aux input and that you had the balls to do something about it.

Nice job.

Same here : works great - sound is super !!! Had easy access since I did only have to loosen the jack connector plate and pull about 20 cm of the cable out.

Still a little bit afraid of the consequences given the removal of these parts. What could be the worst case scenario if the input is too high ? What is the value for which the main system is designed ? Any ideas ?
Old 03-22-2006, 04:34 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by badlydrawn' post='258386' date='Mar 22 2006, 01:25 PM
Same here : works great - sound is super !!! Had easy access since I did only have to loosen the jack connector plate and pull about 20 cm of the cable out.

Still a little bit afraid of the consequences given the removal of these parts. What could be the worst case scenario if the input is too high ? What is the value for which the main system is designed ? Any ideas ?
I've been using my modified input quite a lot and am pretty sure it's safe, so long as you use a proper line out connection rather than an amplified one.

I've also taken the precaution of using MP3gain to reduce / level the volume of all of my tracks to 89dba. This means there is a large discrepancy between the volume of my ipod and the radio / cd, but it's worth doing to be absolutely certain that you will not damage your amp or speakers.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:31 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi - Silver/Gray, Gray Leather, 6 SP Manual, Premium, Sport, CW, CA, Shades, Logic7

So does anyone know if the standard aux input on the 2007 (US) models will be any different (better)? Or is it basically the same setup, just now integrated in the console and standard?

Quick Reply: AUX Bass and Sound Quality Problem Solved!!!