E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Automatic Climate Control AC

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 07:53 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Aug 30 2005, 04:12 PM
[quote name='subterFUSE' date='Aug 30 2005, 08:34 AM']
the E60's system adjusts humidity levels
All air conditioners act as dehumidifiers. That is nothing special.... unless the E60 has a built-in humidifier to add water to the air.
[snapback]165040[/snapback]
It does. That's my point. The system adds moisture when heating -- I've never been more comfortable in a car during the winter...
[snapback]165089[/snapback]
[/quote]

Where does the water comes from? Is there a self filling tank from what is got with the AIRCO?
Old 08-30-2005, 07:58 AM
Senior Members

Does it really add moisture?
The only thing I seem to recall from the early E60 press releases is that instead of substantially cooling the air down before heating it up, and thereby removing moisture unnecessarily, the E60 doesn't cool the air as much as previous airconditionings, and the air is less dry than previously. I may be wrong on this, but I can't recall anything about the A/C adding moisture..

Hey.. wait a second. Maybe that's why I was low on coolant last year?
Old 08-30-2005, 08:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Dating as far back I have had autos that have both a driver and passenger settings for temp/fan, domestic and foreign. Wife and I would not have it other way. My 6er AC works just fine as Rudy described. Auto mode is indeed autmatically holding the temp I set and does what it has to to keep it that way. Also living with the known always start with AC on after car enters sleep mode regardless of my turning it off before shut down. It may or may not be changed by some future CIP but at this point I'll take what they offer.

Reaching over and changing temp if I really need to is also no problem.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

OK, I have to admit ignorance here. Where in the idrive menu do you adjust the hi/med/low setting for the A/C?

It sounds like something I may want since I find the fan blows excessively hard when first driving-- it makes it hard to hear the radio or telephone.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I may be a little confused. I remember reading a while ago that the E60 deals with humidity levels as well as temperature levels but I think it's clear that there is no water reservoir to allow it to add water to the system so my apologies for the bad information earlier.

What I might have been confused with was the car's constant monitoring of humidity levels to assist in the prevention of condensation on the windows. There is a program where it will help prevent this from happening (and, I might add, works quite well.)

Here's a little document that will shed some detail on the condensation sensor:
SBT__E60__E61__E63__E64___Condensation_sensor.pdf
Old 08-30-2005, 09:45 AM
Members

My Ride: Black Sapphire BMW 530i w/ AC Schnitzer kit. Beige leather interior and fine-wood trim.
Thumbs up

Hello newbie here! I have a 2004 530i prodution date 09/03. I just returned from a 3 yr assignment in Germany. When I purchased my BMW I was told that I could not have US specs BT, NAV, or a DVD system becuase it was not developed for the E60 at that time. Now that I am back stateside, what is the best way to have these features added? The dealer said I had to pay an additional $2,000 for the BT upgrade and that my BMW model does not have an upgrade for the NAV system. As for the DVD system that could be done, however I'm debating whether to go w/ an aftermarket sys. Any suggestions?
Old 08-30-2005, 09:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by rodneyremington' date='Aug 30 2005, 11:05 AM
OK, I have to admit ignorance here. Where in the idrive menu do you adjust the hi/med/low setting for the A/C?

It sounds like something I may want since I find the fan blows excessively hard when first driving-- it makes it hard to hear the radio or telephone.
[snapback]165110[/snapback]

See pages 99(middle)-100 in the manual for adjusting a/c settings. Move controller to the left to open "climate" and follow the instructions.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by rodneyremington' date='Aug 30 2005, 11:05 AM

In iDrive, select Climate. Under Automatic Programs (something like that), you can select High, medium, or low.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by rodneyremington' date='Aug 30 2005, 12:05 PM

Select "Climate" and then "Automatic Programs" then your choice.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:16 AM
Senior Members

Sure.. the mist-sensor-thing is nothing new I believe? And I have experienced it not working too well, especially in winter AND with the auto function set on, I often experience fog/mist on the driver's side of the windshield.. sometimes slightly annoying.

Quick Reply: Automatic Climate Control AC