E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Automatic AC ON

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 01:29 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmitev' post='1091837' date='Jan 16 2010, 07:06 AM
on pre-LCI cars (with the round "off" button in the middle), it is meant to do that and yes, it is annoying to many people.

the only way to stop this function is with reprogramming - when you reprogram the car, you can adjust a certain amount of options and this is one of them. I did this on my car and know of a few other people that have done it.

how much did the reprogram run you?
Old 01-16-2010, 03:39 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why would anyone be concerned if the AC is on or off? When I turn off the AC button in about a minute the car because "soggy" in the hot summer days. Isn't the point of "climate control" is to control climate? If by some chance, one of you guys are worrying about "power robbing accessories" when you race down the mountain is your family sedans, you should know what when hit WOT, the AC if automatically turns off. I see no benefit of turning off AC in the summer or the winter. Just hit atuo and go.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by andy535xi' post='1092116' date='Jan 16 2010, 06:39 PM
why would anyone be concerned if the AC is on or off?
...doesn't matter why...it bothers him, and he just wants to know if it can be turned off. My A/C doesn't always come ON automatically, but both fans do. I don't think there is a way around it either
Old 01-17-2010, 07:46 AM
Contributors

Thumbs down

The "AC Auto" light constantly on does not mean your AC is running all the time. It simply means that the AC will cycle ON AUTOMATICALLY when the inside and outside climate sensors (temp, humidity, etc etc) and the algorithms programmed into the system indicate that is necessary. If the systems say it is not required - say cool and dry - the AC isn't running. That said, I leave mine set to AUTO so that during the winter months I don't have to manually cycle the AC on to help ensure system seals, components, etc etc and such are kept in good shape.

In the "old days" -- proper maintenance included periodically turning on your AC manually especially in the fall & winter months to do that!
Old 01-17-2010, 07:46 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered' post='1092051' date='Jan 16 2010, 10:29 PM
how much did the reprogram run you?
it was a very specific situation and as a result extremely cheap. this is also part of the reason I went for it. I also switched MP3 functionality on and adjusted a few other things.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by andy535xi' post='1092116' date='Jan 17 2010, 12:39 AM
why would anyone be concerned if the AC is on or off? When I turn off the AC button in about a minute the car because "soggy" in the hot summer days. Isn't the point of "climate control" is to control climate? If by some chance, one of you guys are worrying about "power robbing accessories" when you race down the mountain is your family sedans, you should know what when hit WOT, the AC if automatically turns off. I see no benefit of turning off AC in the summer or the winter. Just hit atuo and go.
If the weather is not too cold or too hot and you like to open your window now and then to get some fresh air feeling, the AC is just unnecessary. I dont like something blowing air into my face, regardless with what temperature, when I dont need it. On top of that, I dont like using fuel for this. And on top of this, I dont like the additional noise - i like to listen to music instead, or just to enjoy the quietness of the interior, which the german engineers created with a lot of insulation.

Still, I do switch on the fan and/or the AC when I feel that I need it, and also now and then just to keep the mechanical components in shape, as someone here said.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER
Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='1092346' date='Jan 17 2010, 11:46 AM
The "AC Auto" light constantly on does not mean your AC is running all the time. It simply means that the AC will cycle ON AUTOMATICALLY when the inside and outside climate sensors (temp, humidity, etc etc) and the algorithms programmed into the system indicate that is necessary. If the systems say it is not required - say cool and dry - the AC isn't running. That said, I leave mine set to AUTO so that during the winter months I don't have to manually cycle the AC on to help ensure system seals, components, etc etc and such are kept in good shape.
+1 If you ask any good SA or CA they will tell you exactly what you said.
cheers
vern
Old 01-17-2010, 09:40 AM
Members

In my 535 I rarely need AC -perhaps 2 weeks per year. I turn the AC off each and every time it comes on. It is a puzzle to me since about 2 out of 10 times I start the car the AC comes on and 8 out of 10 it does not come on. I turn it off each and every time it comes on. I have no clue what I do to keep it from automatically turning on when I start the car.

Remember, I turn it off 100% of the time.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

I'm so used to it now that I don't even notice it any more.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E46 E60

i also annoyed with the AC automatically on every time i turned on the key..
even when i switch off the ac before turn off the car, it still on the next start..
problem solved when i retrofit the bmw ipod interface,
they update the idrive to the latest firmware, and i asked them to reprograme
the AC, and it's been workin great since..

Quick Reply: Automatic AC ON