E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Auto to manual conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 03:58 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto to manual conversion

Hi,

My car is 2005 530i, is it possible to do a mod to convert the transimission from Auto to Manual?

I have a research from internet, it just have few topic about this.

Can anyone give me some ideas? Or anyone done this before?

Thank you very much
Old 06-22-2013, 05:55 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe it is possible. You might have to hack up some wiring to get the car to start, but it should be possible. I'm just about finished acquiring the parts for my auto-manual retrofit actually.

One thing to keep in mind is that on the 545/550 the input CV on the rear diff is different for the auto and the manual. You would want to research this on your 530i. The following post describes how to make a hybrid drive shaft that will mount an auto rear diff to a manual transmission for the 545/550:

https://5series.net/forums/e60-parts...2/#post1506713

The alternative (and cheap) way to accomplish making your manual transmission work with a auto rear diff would be to use spacers or washers on the guibo/u-joint since it's probably only a couple/few millimeters difference in length anyways. That's how it is on the 545/550 anyways. Ebay is littered with drive shafts though. You can pick them up for around $180-$250 each.

Last edited by west; 06-22-2013 at 06:03 AM.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

why not just sell the car and buy a manual?
Old 06-22-2013, 08:38 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by turboawd
why not just sell the car and buy a manual?
not sure how far along the op is with his mods but the price of swapping transmissions in some cases can be less expensive than uninstalling/restoring/re-installing mods to the new manual transmission vehicle. *shrug*
Old 06-23-2013, 05:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Do the automatics have the proper mounting points for the clutch, or will that be a drill/weld job?
Old 06-23-2013, 08:39 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by advancedlogic
Do the automatics have the proper mounting points for the clutch, or will that be a drill/weld job?
the clutch 'mounts' to the flywheel by way of the pressure plate which bolts to the flywheel. the flywheel is a bolt-on since the crankshaft is the same between the auto and manual. The photo below shows the crankshaft (bolt holes in the center) and starter to the right to give you an idea of what it looks like on the engine side.
Attached Thumbnails Auto to manual conversion-screen-shot-2013-06-23-9.36.42-am.jpg  
Old 06-24-2013, 05:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by west
the clutch 'mounts' to the flywheel by way of the pressure plate which bolts to the flywheel. the flywheel is a bolt-on since the crankshaft is the same between the auto and manual. The photo below shows the crankshaft (bolt holes in the center) and starter to the right to give you an idea of what it looks like on the engine side.
I think I should have been much more specific - I was thinking of the clutch peddle inside the car. How easy is it to mount and route the appropriate hardware?