E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto head light not auto?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 11:27 PM
zag
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: e60 530i - SOLD!

lately with head light knob switched to auto... the light is on even though it is in broad daylight and sun is glaring!
anyone with this problem and what was the fix? software issue?
Old 01-25-2004, 11:38 PM
Members

My first guess would be a dirty light sensor, but I have no idea where it's located on the car. I know the inside mirror has an integrated light sensor to adjust the auto-dimming mirror, but I doubt that it's the same sensor used to control the headlights.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:01 AM
me

I believe -but could be wrong) that the headlight sensor is embedded in the rearview mirror post (windshield side, obviously.

cheers
Old 01-26-2004, 04:01 AM
Members

Have you tested it to the dealership? It migth be just broken.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:51 AM
nsiu

Exclamation

hi,

I just got my car few days ago. First, I think i had a same problem. But i find out at the morning when i start my car from garage ( in dark) the light is on. Then 3 min later, i stop by a coffee shop and start the car again ( in day light ) the light is off.

i think when i pull from garage, the car think is dark, so the light is on. somehow, it will not turn off itself until the next time i start the car again.

i will go to the dealer on wed.,

nsiu 530i
Old 01-26-2004, 10:02 AM
Members

Originally Posted by nsiu' date='Jan 26 2004, 09:51 AM
hi,

I just got my car few days ago. First, I think i had a same problem. But i find out at the morning when i start my car from garage ( in dark) the light is on. Then 3 min later, i stop by a coffee shop and start the car again ( in day light ) the light is off.

i think when i pull from garage, the car think is dark, so the light is on. somehow, it will not turn off itself until the next time i start the car again.

i will go to the dealer on wed.,

nsiu 530i
Hi, what you have just described is not the how it supposed to work. For example, in you go in a tunner or underpassage it should turn on the lights and when you exit it should turn the lights off. Mine does.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:19 AM
Senior Members

Maybe your car is programmed for another country. Here in Sweden we have the headlights programmed to be on all the time, regardless of light switch position.

The only thing you do with the AUTO mode is activating the adaptive headlight function.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:10 AM
richard

the auto switch turns on the active headlights and auto lighting; senses low light/twilight and turns on headlights.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:16 PM
Members

Hi Richard.

This is normal mate!

I had exactly the same problem with both my E39 5 series.

The light sensor is very sensitive and sometime switches on in daylight and stays on. If you park in bright light. stop the engine and restart they go out.
The E39 version was adjustable . |Coarse setting orr fine setting. I had mine reset to coarse and all was ok.
The E60 has done this only a couple of times and after a few minutes the lights have switched off. It is worth checking the IR sensor in the front facing part of the rear view mirror. This is a very small hole. If it gets dirty (Or the sensor) ie smoking in the car it will give false readings.
I would suggest a quick stop at the dealer to have it checked. If not dirty get them to check the setting via the modem link or when you have your software upgrade.

Doesn't take long to do.

Hope this helps!

PS. At least you can rest assured this doesn't only happy on the E60