E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Auto Express Quote "always replace run-flats with run-flats"

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 05:02 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

I don't think I've ever actually read/heard why BMW has gone the RFT route so early in it's "technology life-cycle"?

I assume they believe this is the future of tyres and road safety, so have chosen to get a step ahead of the competition by adopting the technology now and integrating into its new-car design.

In the German press they typically lose the Comfort part of the group-tests and the magazines often explicitely state this is because of the RFTs, not just the more "sporty" suspension set-up BMW has over the competition. I just hope the technology improves quickly, because it is obviously a significant weakness in an otherwise very good package BMW offers.

Anyone "formally" know why BMW have gone this route?
Old 10-16-2006, 05:11 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='345344' date='Oct 16 2006, 09:02 PM
I don't think I've ever actually read/heard why BMW has gone the RFT route so early in it's "technology life-cycle"?

I assume they believe this is the future of tyres and road safety, so have chosen to get a step ahead of the competition by adopting the technology now and integrating into its new-car design.

In the German press they typically lose the Comfort part of the group-tests and the magazines often explicitely state this is because of the RFTs, not just the more "sporty" suspension set-up BMW has over the competition. I just hope the technology improves quickly, because it is obviously a significant weakness in an otherwise very good package BMW offers.

Anyone "formally" know why BMW have gone this route?
They say itis for safety and less of a crash in high speeds when there is a flat tyre
Old 10-16-2006, 05:36 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='345347' date='Oct 16 2006, 03:11 PM
They say itis for safety and less of a crash in high speeds when there is a flat tyre
I understand that, however why do this now? By doing it now, they provide the customer with a "positive" and also a "negative". Why not wait until it is only a "positive", i.e. when the RFT technology is developed enough to also provide the required comfort standards? I assume this is what the competition such as Audi and Benz are doing. Ah well, I guess its a case of "it is what it is"!
Old 10-16-2006, 05:55 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by KAF' post='345155' date='Oct 15 2006, 10:01 PM
As an option when buying car they are about ?60, includes jack wheelbrace etc.

As an aftermarket spare around ?100.
?75 option and about ?180 from a BMW stealer.... :thumbsdown:
Old 10-16-2006, 06:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='345355' date='Oct 16 2006, 09:36 PM
I understand that, however why do this now? By doing it now, they provide the customer with a "positive" and also a "negative". Why not wait until it is only a "positive", i.e. when the RFT technology is developed enough to also provide the required comfort standards? I assume this is what the competition such as Audi and Benz are doing. Ah well, I guess its a case of "it is what it is"!
most bmw driver are not sporty driver so I think itis right to put RFT for nomal people and day to day use
Old 10-16-2006, 08:59 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 530dA 3/2004

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='345027' date='Oct 15 2006, 08:47 AM
So if RFT are better than non RFT then why don`t the F1 or rally cars use them?
At least WRC cars uses somekind of RFT:s.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

i have a spare tyre in my car, and i still have the original bridgestone RFTs they are EXTEMELY noisy, a little embasing even...

Originally Posted by KAF' post='345150' date='Oct 15 2006, 11:25 PM
3. Only drop in performance was a less sharp 'turn in'.
but to be honest on a dry road turn they perform very well because of the stiff sidewalls, i dont mind if i lose a little bit of comfort if it gives me a little extra performace this will be my first full season of wet weather in the car, last year took it too late and didnt ran more than a couple of days, so ill see this poor went performance... it doesnt matter to me we get like 14 wet days a year (max)...

but most people dont like to change tyres so its a plus to them, my father woke me up a few months a go to change the tyre on his car after a puncture... he also once called me up when driving my car said it had a puncture at least in my car i told him i'll check it when you return.. its a reall PLUS for some people...