E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Auto Express Quote "always replace run-flats with run-flats"

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 05:41 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: On Order, due in May - 2007MY 530D SE, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Auto, Brushed aluminium shadowline,sports seats / wheel, hi fi speakers, mats, space saver wheel and a few more bits

11 October edition of Auto Express (UK) carried out a claimed first ever run-flat tyre test.

Concluded that non RFT's compared to RFT's performed worse, lost control in thw wet earlier and took longer to stop. Tested on a 3 series, Bridgestone won - the testing was at Bridgestones ?30M euro testing ground . General view was that the car was designed for RFT's and should always use them

After advice on our forum, I ordered the spare wheel as an extra for when I ditch the RFT's in the future. Was that a mistake?

Sorry I can't attach a link to the article
Old 10-15-2006, 05:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by 07530d' post='345026' date='Oct 15 2006, 09:41 PM
11 October edition of Auto Express (UK) carried out a claimed first ever run-flat tyre test.

Concluded that non RFT's compared to RFT's performed worse, lost control in thw wet earlier and took longer to stop. Tested on a 3 series, Bridgestone won - the testing was at Bridgestones ?30M euro testing ground . General view was that the car was designed for RFT's and should always use them

After advice on our forum, I ordered the spare wheel as an extra for when I ditch the RFT's in the future. Was that a mistake?

Sorry I can't attach a link to the article
So if RFT are better than non RFT then why don`t the F1 or rally cars use them?
Old 10-15-2006, 06:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 07530d' post='345026' date='Oct 15 2006, 09:41 AM
Concluded that non RFT's compared to RFT's performed worse, lost control in thw wet earlier and took longer to stop.
I'll see for myself when I switch out of the RFTs. The stock RFT's are horrible in wet conditions. If non-RFTs are worse in the wet, I might think about going back to an E39 again.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

Originally Posted by 07530d' post='345026' date='Oct 15 2006, 04:41 PM
General view was that the car was designed for RFT's and should always use them
maybe thats true...

but, i thought that the e60 was not designed for RFT,,, but the e90 was the first BMW made for RFTs,,,,
Old 10-15-2006, 08:41 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by madoon' post='345076' date='Oct 15 2006, 05:22 PM
maybe thats true...

but, i thought that the e60 was not designed for RFT,,, but the e90 was the first BMW made for RFTs,,,,
That's a very valid point you make there madoon. There are a couple of other items, such as the start/stop button set up, which is different on the E90 because it was designed from the start to have this set-up and not the old key start/stop like it was on the early E60s.

So to get back on topic, this report may be more relevant to the E90 than an E60. I have just swapped to 19" non-RFT and to the best of my knowledge, BMW has not yet approved a 19" RFT for the E60 anyway? So you cannot generalise with the non-RFT vs. RFT, it depends on the model, wheel size, etc.

@07530d
To get back to your original post, you have not made a mistake with your choice to move to non-RFTs. You do however, still have to make the right choice with the brand/type of non-RFTs though if you are really going to benefit from the change.

No doubt other Forum members who have made the switch can also advise.

Cheers
Old 10-15-2006, 08:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

There's no doubt RFT's are getting better. My 550 came with Bridgestone RFT's and they were pretty good.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:51 AM
Senior Members

No way i'm going back to RFT! Traction in the wet is minimal and i can't figure how a non-rf tire could do worse in the wet...i might aswell start walking if it's true.

BTW i suspect there is NO motorsport that uses RF tires right?
Also who said that the E60 was designed for RF tires?!? So the E60 in staggered setup is what? A compromise or what?
Old 10-15-2006, 10:01 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='345027' date='Oct 15 2006, 02:47 PM
So if RFT are better than non RFT then why don`t the F1 or rally cars use them?
Exactly. The extra weight would affect acceleration. AFAIK they run really high pressures so sidewall flex is not an issue anyway?
Old 10-15-2006, 11:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: On Order, due in May - 2007MY 530D SE, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Auto, Brushed aluminium shadowline,sports seats / wheel, hi fi speakers, mats, space saver wheel and a few more bits

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='345127' date='Oct 15 2006, 06:51 PM
No way i'm going back to RFT! Traction in the wet is minimal and i can't figure how a non-rf tire could do worse in the wet...i might aswell start walking if it's true.

BTW i suspect there is NO motorsport that uses RF tires right?
Also who said that the E60 was designed for RF tires?!? So the E60 in staggered setup is what? A compromise or what?

Sorry, the article was about RFT's on the current 3 series (dont know what E). Maybe it was not relevant to the E60 but the report summaries generalised about all RFT cars??
Old 10-15-2006, 11:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

Apparently Ferrari are going to be using RFT for some road cars. The Goodyear Eagle F1 EMT.

Ferrari chooses Goodyear Eagle F1 EMT for new Ferrari F430 equipped with Runflat tyres The EMT (Extended Mobility Technology) allows the tyre to run flat keeping both high performance and safety. The new Run Flat equipped Ferrari F430 will be exclusively fitted with Goodyear's Eagle F1 GS-D3 EMT 225/35ZR19 (front) and Goodyear's Eagle F1 GS-D3 EMT 285/35ZR19 (rear). The Goodyear Eagle F1, the award winning top performer of Goodyear's high performance tyre range, is the perfect match for Ferrari's latest creation.
With its 4300cc 90 degree V8 engine and 490bhp, Ferrari's new F430 takes four seconds to reach 100km/h from a standing start and reaches a top speed of more than 315 km/h. Goodyear Runflat tyres can be safely driven after a puncture or total loss of pressure.
The reinforced sidewalls consist of an innovative rubber that bears the weight of the car even when the tyre is totally deflated and that keeps the tyre on the rim. The Eagle F1, with its striking V-shaped tread design and OneTRED technology, continues to set the standard among tyres in its class.
It has captured the top spot in key consumer magazine ratings, won several technology awards and captured top spot in countless tyre comparison tests including Auto Express, evo and Which.

http://www.azom.com/details.asp?newsID=2054

Quick Reply: Auto Express Quote "always replace run-flats with run-flats"