E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you drive more in Manual Mode or Auto Mode?
Manual Mode (Non Sport) - I Shift myself with the Stick or Paddles
36.00%
Manual Mode (Sports) - I Shift myself with the Stick or Paddles
56.00%
Automatic Mode (Non Sports) - I let the car do everything
8.00%
Automatic Mode (Sports) - I let the car do everything
0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

ATTN: SMG Owners Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 12:02 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Manual Mode more for me.

Please vote in the poll and also do a simple post to indicate your vote.

Also when you use Automatic Mode has your car ever changed from Automatic Mode back to Manual Mode by itself with out you using the paddles or stick to change the mode setting?

If you drive mostly in Manual Mode would you guys mind helping me out and try using automatic mode for a few days in both city and highway driving to test if your car Changes from Auto Mode to Manual Mode by itself?

I think mine happens more during city driving.

Heres is my original thread reguarding this problem.
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=5860

Thanks!
Old 01-15-2005, 12:14 PM
fq1
Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Jan 15 2005, 04:02 PM
Manual Mode more for me.

Please vote in the poll and also do a simple post to indicate your vote.

Also when you use Automatic Mode has your car ever changed from Automatic Mode back to Manual Mode by itself with out you using the paddles or stick to change the mode setting?

If you drive mostly in Manual Mode would you guys mind helping me out and try using automatic mode for a few days in both city and highway driving to test if your car Changes from Auto Mode to Manual Mode by itself?

I think mine happens more during city driving.

Heres is my original thread reguarding this problem.
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=5860

Thanks!
[snapback]79454[/snapback]
Even though mine is a 2004 325 SMG, it has not really been switching into manual mode lately (I used to think that it used to do that previously). I think there are times that I inadvertantly push the lever all the way to the right (while moving into drive) which would cause it to get into the manual mode -- while I would be expecting it to be in auto mode it actually would be in manual. I am not sure if it switches into manual by itself or if I inadvertantly have been doing it.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I use Manual Mode (Non-Sport) for most of my driving.

I only use Sport mode every so often, when I feel like stepping on the gas a little bit.....

I only use automatic when I'm doing something like changing CDs in my CD case.... and steering with my knees or seomthing....
Old 01-15-2005, 03:54 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW M-Power

Originally Posted by fq1' date='Jan 15 2005, 03:14 PM
Even though mine is a 2004 325 SMG, it has not really been switching into manual mode lately (I used to think that it used to do that previously).? I think there are times that I inadvertantly push the lever all the way to the right (while moving into drive) which would cause it to get into the manual mode -- while I would be expecting it to be in auto mode it actually would be in manual.? ...
Bingo!! Exactly what I was thinking. Eric I think you need to re-examine your (and your dad's) driving style. Are you absolutely SURE that you didn't hit the paddles (or the stick) as a reflex?? I know I have done that a few times when I first gotr the car, but after a carefull re-examination of my movements, I concluded that it was not the car but rather it was me unconsicensely taking over the shifting by a habitual tab to the thumb paddle.

check it out,

beewang
Old 01-15-2005, 04:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by beewang' date='Jan 15 2005, 04:54 PM
Bingo!! Exactly what I was thinking. Eric I think you need to re-examine your (and your dad's) driving style. Are you absolutely SURE that you didn't hit the paddles (or the stick) as a reflex?? ? I know I have done that a few times? when I first gotr the car, but after a carefull re-examination of my movements, I concluded that it was not the car but rather it was me unconsicensely taking over the shifting by a habitual tab to the thumb paddle.

check it out,

beewang
[snapback]79494[/snapback]
Absolutely not...first 2 times or so I thought about that... I am 100% sure absolutely positively SURE that we do not and did not accidently hit the paddle or stick I already know that isnt the case! Trust me its not...
Old 01-15-2005, 04:17 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by beewang' date='Jan 15 2005, 05:54 PM
[quote name='fq1' date='Jan 15 2005, 03:14 PM']
Even though mine is a 2004 325 SMG, it has not really been switching into manual mode lately (I used to think that it used to do that previously).? I think there are times that I inadvertantly push the lever all the way to the right (while moving into drive) which would cause it to get into the manual mode -- while I would be expecting it to be in auto mode it actually would be in manual.? ...
Bingo!! Exactly what I was thinking. Eric I think you need to re-examine your (and your dad's) driving style. Are you absolutely SURE that you didn't hit the paddles (or the stick) as a reflex?? I know I have done that a few times when I first gotr the car, but after a carefull re-examination of my movements, I concluded that it was not the car but rather it was me unconsicensely taking over the shifting by a habitual tab to the thumb paddle.

check it out,

beewang
[snapback]79494[/snapback]
[/quote]

For the few times that I have driven in auto mode, I found myself gearing up or down by reflex.
Old 01-15-2005, 04:21 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GER_545SMG' date='Jan 15 2005, 05:17 PM
For the few times that I have driven in auto mode, I found myself gearing up or down by reflex.
[snapback]79499[/snapback]
Ok can we get off that part of it... Its not cause of my reflex nor my dads. Its doing it itself FOR SURE. Past week or so we've been VERY VERY CAREFUL aobut that keeping our minds concious about that making sure its not us doing it. AND ITS NOT.

Thats why i'm asking you guy to try out automatic mode a little more and see if its happenning to you guys or not.
Old 01-15-2005, 06:53 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Here is a similar poll done a while ago.
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=1988&hl=
Old 01-16-2005, 02:14 PM
Contributors

I generall shift myself with stick or paddles. I use auto if I'm on the phone (infrequently) or in heavy traffic. I haven't noticed the car shifting to manual by itself. I have notices that a slight touch to the paddle will put the car back in manual. I'll keep an eye on it this week and let you know if it happens w/o my doing it.
Old 01-16-2005, 03:05 PM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Jan 15 2005, 07:21 PM
Thats why i'm asking you guy to try out automatic mode a little more and see if its happenning to you guys or not.
[snapback]79501[/snapback]
My fingers keep getting in the way.

Quick Reply: ATTN: SMG Owners Help Needed