5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   ATTN: SMG Owners Help Needed (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/attn-smg-owners-help-needed-6371/)

EBMCS03 01-15-2005 12:02 PM

Manual Mode more for me.

Please vote in the poll and also do a simple post to indicate your vote.

Also when you use Automatic Mode has your car ever changed from Automatic Mode back to Manual Mode by itself with out you using the paddles or stick to change the mode setting?

If you drive mostly in Manual Mode would you guys mind helping me out and try using automatic mode for a few days in both city and highway driving to test if your car Changes from Auto Mode to Manual Mode by itself?

I think mine happens more during city driving.

Heres is my original thread reguarding this problem.
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=5860

Thanks!

fq1 01-15-2005 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Jan 15 2005, 04:02 PM
Manual Mode more for me.

Please vote in the poll and also do a simple post to indicate your vote.

Also when you use Automatic Mode has your car ever changed from Automatic Mode back to Manual Mode by itself with out you using the paddles or stick to change the mode setting?

If you drive mostly in Manual Mode would you guys mind helping me out and try using automatic mode for a few days in both city and highway driving to test if your car Changes from Auto Mode to Manual Mode by itself?

I think mine happens more during city driving.

Heres is my original thread reguarding this problem.
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=5860

Thanks!
[snapback]79454[/snapback]

Even though mine is a 2004 325 SMG, it has not really been switching into manual mode lately (I used to think that it used to do that previously). I think there are times that I inadvertantly push the lever all the way to the right (while moving into drive) which would cause it to get into the manual mode -- while I would be expecting it to be in auto mode it actually would be in manual. I am not sure if it switches into manual by itself or if I inadvertantly have been doing it.

subterFUSE 01-15-2005 01:12 PM

I use Manual Mode (Non-Sport) for most of my driving.

I only use Sport mode every so often, when I feel like stepping on the gas a little bit.....

I only use automatic when I'm doing something like changing CDs in my CD case.... and steering with my knees or seomthing....

beewang 01-15-2005 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by fq1' date='Jan 15 2005, 03:14 PM
Even though mine is a 2004 325 SMG, it has not really been switching into manual mode lately (I used to think that it used to do that previously).? I think there are times that I inadvertantly push the lever all the way to the right (while moving into drive) which would cause it to get into the manual mode -- while I would be expecting it to be in auto mode it actually would be in manual.? ...

Bingo!! Exactly what I was thinking. Eric I think you need to re-examine your (and your dad's) driving style. Are you absolutely SURE that you didn't hit the paddles (or the stick) as a reflex?? :unsure: I know I have done that a few times when I first gotr the car, but after a carefull re-examination of my movements, I concluded that it was not the car but rather it was me unconsicensely taking over the shifting by a habitual tab to the thumb paddle.

check it out,

beewang :whistle:

EBMCS03 01-15-2005 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by beewang' date='Jan 15 2005, 04:54 PM
Bingo!! Exactly what I was thinking. Eric I think you need to re-examine your (and your dad's) driving style. Are you absolutely SURE that you didn't hit the paddles (or the stick) as a reflex?? :unsure:? I know I have done that a few times? when I first gotr the car, but after a carefull re-examination of my movements, I concluded that it was not the car but rather it was me unconsicensely taking over the shifting by a habitual tab to the thumb paddle.

check it out,

[snapback]79494[/snapback]

Absolutely not...first 2 times or so I thought about that... I am 100% sure absolutely positively SURE that we do not and did not accidently hit the paddle or stick I already know that isnt the case! Trust me its not...

GER_545SMG 01-15-2005 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by beewang' date='Jan 15 2005, 05:54 PM
[quote name='fq1' date='Jan 15 2005, 03:14 PM']
Even though mine is a 2004 325 SMG, it has not really been switching into manual mode lately (I used to think that it used to do that previously).? I think there are times that I inadvertantly push the lever all the way to the right (while moving into drive) which would cause it to get into the manual mode -- while I would be expecting it to be in auto mode it actually would be in manual.? ...

Bingo!! Exactly what I was thinking. Eric I think you need to re-examine your (and your dad's) driving style. Are you absolutely SURE that you didn't hit the paddles (or the stick) as a reflex?? :unsure: I know I have done that a few times when I first gotr the car, but after a carefull re-examination of my movements, I concluded that it was not the car but rather it was me unconsicensely taking over the shifting by a habitual tab to the thumb paddle.

check it out,

[snapback]79494[/snapback]
[/quote]

For the few times that I have driven in auto mode, I found myself gearing up or down by reflex.

EBMCS03 01-15-2005 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by GER_545SMG' date='Jan 15 2005, 05:17 PM
For the few times that I have driven in auto mode, I found myself gearing up or down by reflex.
[snapback]79499[/snapback]

Ok can we get off that part of it... Its not cause of my reflex nor my dads. Its doing it itself FOR SURE. Past week or so we've been VERY VERY CAREFUL aobut that keeping our minds concious about that making sure its not us doing it. AND ITS NOT.

Thats why i'm asking you guy to try out automatic mode a little more and see if its happenning to you guys or not.

pennetta 01-15-2005 06:53 PM

Here is a similar poll done a while ago.
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=1988&hl=

cocogigio 01-16-2005 02:14 PM

I generall shift myself with stick or paddles. I use auto if I'm on the phone (infrequently) or in heavy traffic. I haven't noticed the car shifting to manual by itself. I have notices that a slight touch to the paddle will put the car back in manual. I'll keep an eye on it this week and let you know if it happens w/o my doing it.

JDN 01-16-2005 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Jan 15 2005, 07:21 PM
Thats why i'm asking you guy to try out automatic mode a little more and see if its happenning to you guys or not.
[snapback]79501[/snapback]

My fingers keep getting in the way. :))