E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

attn 545i owners

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 03:11 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update i just picked up my vehicle, and my SA showed me a snap shot of all my cylinders and the parameters the specs are .05 +/- and for the SIB it has to be within 2.5+/- therefore he concluded that my engine is running and operating correctly. So pretty much i just paid for a diagnostic since there is no known problems or symptoms. So a slight and i mean slight rough idle can be bad gas or possible its just normal for our V8's. But whatever the matter is, if we have any problems with our engine, the check engine light should illuminate. I don't always have this rough idle just sometimes i run into this, and they did a cold start on my vehicle a few times. since yesterday and this morning too. Hope that solves the rough idle issue, but i would suggest cleaning the MAF and replacing the plugs.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:32 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Non-Sport. Nav, Logic7

Took ours in for service and the service tech asked, "hey, what kinda gas are you running in here? This thing is running rough". He gave us some octane booster because we had been running regular instead of premium. He knew immediately what the problem was. After adding the additive, all problems solved. Well, at least those related to rough idle.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by Texas545i' post='869203' date='May 5 2009, 08:32 PM
Took ours in for service and the service tech asked, "hey, what kinda gas are you running in here? This thing is running rough". He gave us some octane booster because we had been running regular instead of premium. He knew immediately what the problem was. After adding the additive, all problems solved. Well, at least those related to rough idle.
Which BMW dealership do you go to?
Old 05-05-2009, 05:54 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by Texas545i' post='869203' date='May 5 2009, 09:32 PM
You put 87 in you 545i?
Old 05-05-2009, 08:07 PM
Contributors

I picked up my car today went to my friends house afterward and my friend was like "hey your car is smoking." I saw the smoke coming from under my hood so i called my SA and then drop off my car. The SA found the leak from my reservoir for the coolant, it was broken. So they gave me a loaner, I got a 2009 335i. .
Old 05-05-2009, 08:10 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='869228' date='May 5 2009, 09:54 PM
You put 87 in you 545i?
Old 05-05-2009, 08:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Sport Package, Jet Black M166 OEM Wheels M5 Style Body kit RPI Scoop BMC Air Filter Valentine One Radar Detector 35% tint all around

Originally Posted by ivan545' post='869096' date='May 5 2009, 07:11 PM
Update i just picked up my vehicle, and my SA showed me a snap shot of all my cylinders and the parameters the specs are .05 +/- and for the SIB it has to be within 2.5+/- therefore he concluded that my engine is running and operating correctly. So pretty much i just paid for a diagnostic since there is no known problems or symptoms. So a slight and i mean slight rough idle can be bad gas or possible its just normal for our V8's. But whatever the matter is, if we have any problems with our engine, the check engine light should illuminate. I don't always have this rough idle just sometimes i run into this, and they did a cold start on my vehicle a few times. since yesterday and this morning too. Hope that solves the rough idle issue, but i would suggest cleaning the MAF and replacing the plugs.
i think this pretty much gives the answer to the topic. it's ok for 545i to run a little rough at times. if it's just a slight vibration it's probably the gas we using here in the us..

my dealer said pretty much the same as what they told u. as long as it is slight roughness and no check engine light it's normal so i guess we have to live with it.

btw few days ago another mechanic told me that he was on the lecture about n62 v8 engine and they addressed that these engines are like that, they develop slight roughness and it has to do something with the valve. the SIB above is a very expensive fix so they recomend to live with it since it's not harmfull. so may be that still the issue but not worth fixing it
Old 05-05-2009, 08:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Sport Package, Jet Black M166 OEM Wheels M5 Style Body kit RPI Scoop BMC Air Filter Valentine One Radar Detector 35% tint all around

Originally Posted by Texas545i' post='869203' date='May 5 2009, 09:32 PM
i don't think it was a good idea putting 87 in bmw. i saw the dealer doing that before (aftermarked dealer that sold me the car). they explained that Chevron has got Techron in it so they can use 87. B S. i wanted to punch in his face cause it was my car already. Luckuly they didn't have a car for long before they sold it to me.

if it says Premium in the manual why use 87? to save $1? if you already bought bmw saving few bucks a tank with cheaper gas don't make sense to me..
Old 05-05-2009, 08:39 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by vlad_b' post='869445' date='May 5 2009, 11:33 PM
i don't think it was a good idea putting 87 in bmw. i saw the dealer doing that before (aftermarked dealer that sold me the car). they explained that Chevron has got Techron in it so they can use 87. B S. i wanted to punch in his face cause it was my car already. Luckuly they didn't have a car for long before they sold it to me.

if it says Premium in the manual why use 87? to save $1? if you already bought bmw saving few bucks a tank with cheaper gas don't make sense to me..
how many miles dp u have in ur car? and when u say rough idle, can u also say it's "shaky" ?
Old 05-05-2009, 09:14 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by MacoBMW4life' post='869447' date='May 6 2009, 12:39 AM
how many miles dp u have in ur car? and when u say rough idle, can u also say it's "shaky" ?
just turned 70K last week. I would say it was almost shaky at about 65k; then i changed sparkplugs and it became much better. now i would describe it as a slight vibration. not shaking. i can feel it through steering wheel and the seat

Quick Reply: attn 545i owners