E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

> Aquaplaning

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 07:14 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by ats77' post='341551' date='Oct 4 2006, 08:44 PM
please correct me but what we did on full day aquaplanning track on BMW Drivers training was to put car in Neutral or with manual step on clutch and NO BRAKINGS! That is when the car spins.

From what you wrote Bro I think even if you do that at that speed you would real spin too may be less intensive and I also think giving gas is better than ever stepping on brakes.

When the car is already on aqua-planning the traction is either 0 or little.

However you guys are afraid but I could challenge any of your Michleins with my HANKOOK

ps. pinguhk Ferraris have that too.

Note that before I only had Michleins both summer and winter the newest PS2, but the w300 has more traction in the Winter, on ice or snow.
you are right because at F1 when the driver is spinning in a corner, they have to put there foot down or add abit of gas and let the traction come in and let it do its job and try to fix it and come out of the corner
Old 10-04-2006, 07:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by ats77' post='341555' date='Oct 4 2006, 09:14 PM
what only counts is both of you survived in one piece
ya drive safe when wet you dont know what is going to happen on the roads unlike the tracks
Old 10-04-2006, 08:28 AM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d white, auto, professional sat-nav with internet, variable damper control, sports steering wheel, extended lighting, retractable tow bar, wing mirrors with dimming & folding, full electric seats with memory & lumber adjustment, etc.

Forget the Bridgestones on the E60 they ride far to firm. Any tyre / tire badly worn will have a tendancy to aquaplane / hydraplane on a wet surface. Also just because your driving in a straight line does not mean the car with electronic aids will not go into a spin particularly on roads with a camber. No road ever has a perfect surface so pockets of water will also affect the performance of the tire to remove water and can act as a drag on one wheel while not on another again aiding the spin.
Simple fact is any safety officer will tell you to slow down in heavy rainfall 75MPH is simply asking for trouble particularly on worn tires.
The Michelin tires are good wet weather tires but in most tests the continentals come out best.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:57 AM
Members

My Ride: 06 530Xi w/ M-Sport Package 07 335i Cabriolet w/ M-Sport body kit

Back to tires:

IMO the best tire to use in the wet is Goodyear F1 GS-D3. It is modeled after Formula 1 rain tires and it works great even in inch deep water at high speed. I have them on my Audi A6 3.0 Quattro and they are absolutely unbeatable in wet road conditions.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...=Eagle+F1+GS-D3

http://www.goodyeartires.com/eagle/e...SD3_innov.html

They feel a lot more confident on wet roads than the Bridgestone Potenza 050A's on my 530Xi.

Regardless of how good your tires are, once they are worn down at the shoulders ("the cords were showing" in your case), the water will have no place to go except out the front (plus a bittle bit out the back, depending on how deep your groves are) through the groves because the channels for it to exit from the sides are no longer there. So once the grooves are filled up, especially at high speed when the tires are outrunning the water that tries to escape, you are floating on water, that's it. Unless your car can walk on water, you need to slow down or get new tires, or both.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:32 AM
Members

2006 550i - 6spd MAN

this exact thing happened to me last weekend - My tires were cheapos and im realizing that that was a bad move - no real damage except 2 of the screws on the fender guard popped out on the drivers side front and its ever so slightly sticking out past the fender (if anyone has advice on where to get screws like these id appreciate it )

i AM staggered with the 19" 166's from the M5 and i noticed that even light acceleration at 65 mph was making my rears spin - i am extremely stupid and had hydro'ed a few times over my 3 hour hell ride on interstate 88 before my wipeout, but was able to correct by laying off the gas and NOT BRAKING - just letting the car get straight again and feeling for directional grip. either way - the big one was a doozie - i am stupid for continuing to push my speed even though i thought conditions were improving, was only going 65, and felt familiar with the road. my rears started slipping and i let off the gas - a wiggle to the left, slight correction, a wiggle to the right (i most likely overcorrected slightly, give me a brake were talking milleseconds here), and then a little too far left - the car was gone and i left the road to the left at probably 50 mph, if straight ahead was 12 o'clock i was probably headed towards 10:45 when i exited the road, my car was twisted a little further than that, maybe to 10pm. ended up in the grass facing the other direction. felt like the bggest idiot- with those big tires you have to be very aware of your speeds in bad conditions - dont let the amazing capabilities of this car in good weather give you too much confidence in bad conditions - its still just rubber, water and asphalt.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
...At that point, I knew there would be no recovering, and I stepped on the brake as hard as I could. My car spun out and left the road to the left-hand side. I skidded and spun across the grass median.

While I was skidding, I continued to stand on the brake as hard as possible.
I'd have been splattered.
Your first mistake was using the brakes.
The second was speeding along with KNOWN bad tires in the rain.
This is why Fark has a Florida tag.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Wide old tires with no thread left is the reason.

Narrow tires are better and the thread should never be less than 3 mm.