E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low profile tyres and rain...?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 11:34 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i MSport, Silver Grey, Step, 19" 172 Wheels, Media Pkg inc MP3, Heated Front Seats, Black Leather Seats, Aux Port, Space Saver Wheel, M Rear Spoiler, Ext Voice System

Winter is round the corner for many of us and here is UK it means rain, rain, rain(well I guess apart from the more northerly parts)... so my question is related to low profile tyres, like the 19" 172's and performance/grip in the wet - are such tyres more likely to suffer from aquaplaning/loss of grip in the wet...?
Old 10-10-2007, 03:07 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

Unless I have got my physics totally wrong, the profile of your tyres or the size of your wheels should have ZERO effect on your propensity to aquaplane. Aquaplaning is essentially an issue of traction, and the key factors here are therefore the width and pressure of your tyres. The wider your tyre, the less likely you are to aquaplane, all other things being equal.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:25 AM
Members

Originally Posted by MacSid' post='479809' date='Oct 10 2007, 01:07 PM
The wider your tyre, the less likely you are to aquaplane, all other things being equal.
Completely wrong, the wider the tyre the more you are to aquaplane!!! Ever heard of aquaplane with your bike?
Old 10-10-2007, 04:10 AM
Contributors

...and 19" wheels are relatively wide at the back. but then again, physics is physics and reality is different. question is, how often does it happen that you have aqua planning and if it does happen, question would be: would that also have happened with the slimmer tires??? i dare to say yes, since the difference between the two wheels are something like an inch...
Old 10-10-2007, 05:00 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by simba' post='479794' date='Oct 10 2007, 08:34 AM
Winter is round the corner for many of us and here is UK it means rain, rain, rain(well I guess apart from the more northerly parts)... so my question is related to low profile tyres, like the 19" 172's and performance/grip in the wet - are such tyres more likely to suffer from aquaplaning/loss of grip in the wet...?
I have has no issues with any car including my E60. I have only covered 600 miles with my 172Ms although plenty of that was in the wet though.

Theoretically you are more likley to aquaplane with wider tyres but don't forget that for most of the time the rear tyres follow the same path as the front and the fronts clear a good amount of water out of the way.

Sounds silly to say "most of the time", but look at how many tracks you leave if you turn in a circle.

Regards,
Old 10-10-2007, 05:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E90 330i + E60 550i

summer high po tires typically have great wet weather performance, because of the water channeling. BUT if you are talking about colder temps (below 50F), then the rubber starts to lose its pliability, and ALL the tires performance starts to decline. narrow tires can aquaplane, even rain tires on motorcycles will skim the surface at times..not fun
Old 10-10-2007, 06:47 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i MSport, Silver Grey, Step, 19" 172 Wheels, Media Pkg inc MP3, Heated Front Seats, Black Leather Seats, Aux Port, Space Saver Wheel, M Rear Spoiler, Ext Voice System

Found this on the www...
Low profile tyres have excellent grip on dry roads but are stiffer than ordinary tyres and therefore provide a firmer ride. These tyres have a greater width ratio to cope with the demands of higher performance vehicles. "Profile" refers to the height of the sidewall compared with the width of the tread, expressed as a percentage. A number of 60 or lower is considered low profile.
Disadvantages are:
  • Much more road noise
  • A stiffer ride, far harder than conventional tyres
  • Less resistance to aquaplaning due to the amount of rubber on the road
  • Price
The key advantages of low profile tyres are:
  • Better handling and grip
  • Far superior traction and braking power compared to ordinary tyres
  • Looks
Seems that if the tyre inflation on low profiles is correct with the right tread pattern for wet surface, there is no greater tendency for aquaplaning. Also that wider tyres distribute the car weight over a larger surface area compared to same weight over a thinner tyre - making aquaplaning a higher possibility with wider tyres...

Old 10-10-2007, 07:23 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by sx125' post='479810' date='Oct 10 2007, 01:25 PM
Completely wrong, the wider the tyre the more you are to aquaplane!!! Ever heard of aquaplane with your bike?

You're quite right - I got it back to front there!
Old 10-10-2007, 09:44 AM
Contributors

I live in a climate with very rainy winters (and summers thanks to global warming). Temperature is the big factor. My 172s with Conti Sport Contact 2s have great wet traction down to about 5 degrees C, then they seem to lose all grip - traction control light comes on regularly as does ABS.
I switch to my winters (see sig) and the traction differnece is very noticable. I can drive with my regular habits with no loss of traction. This is NOT in snow, just cold rain (O - 5 degrees C).

It may seem a bit expensive to buy a set of wheels and tyres for such a mild climate but it makes a real difference. Besides my summer tyres last twice as long so you can't really count the cost of the rubber and when done with the car, I can sell the OEM winter wheels for 50% of what I paid anyway.

Highly recommended.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:23 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by simba' post='479794' date='Oct 10 2007, 08:34 AM
Like-for-like, yes. There are of tyres that perform better in the wet than others (and not so good in the dry, a compromise as ever). One option is to get a set of 'winter' tyres in 17" in 225 width for those dark, wet English evenings...

However, just be careful when it's wet - always ensure you have at least 4mm of tread. BMW's, contrary to popular belief, cannot defy the laws of physics!

Quick Reply: Low profile tyres and rain...?