E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Anyone have a clicking sound from right front?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 07:09 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Oct 7 2004, 01:58 PM
My sound sounds like a clicking CV boot (if this car has one), I guess, just not as loud.? It's a very soft sound and you don't notice it unless the radio is off.? You can FEEL it more in the steering, again it's a soft feel....
[snapback]42233[/snapback]

I believe CV joints are only on front or all wheel drive cars. I hear a clunk in the front end when I turn the wheel completely to the left and go very slow. It happens as soon as I start to move in reverse.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:33 PM
Senior Members

I just dropped the car off at Service today. I had a tech ride with me so I could point out each and every 'issue', including all the door rattles, dash noise, crooked cupholder which won't hold a 12oz can upright, stereo problem (the right side is WAY louder than the right which has a muffled sound to it), and this hollow clicking noise when driving < 40 from the forward right area, not the steering column (I suspect I can only hear it then because there is less engine noise then). The tech acknowledged all the issues!

In case anyone cares, i'll post the results when I get the car back.

I'm thinking of asking for a prelimenary test drive before I sign their little yellow sheets of paper. If anything is not fixed, i'll bring the car back to them and keep their 325 loaner with 4,000 miles on it which hasn't ever even been washed once! It's that dirty! And it smells like sour sweat in it as well. I almost want to wash it myself, I feel so bad for it! Actually, I feel bad for the person who buys it eventually....

I have a feeling they're going to try to give me some BS on some of these issues, and i'm not going to take it. This is my second time into Service in the 1 1/2 months i've owned this car. I just don't have the time or patience to keep taking this thing in all the time....

Hallelujah.

Old 10-11-2004, 07:08 PM
Members

After many attempts at finding the clicking / rattle from the steering area of the dash the problem was fond by one of the BMW field service tech's.

The steering wheel monts for the drivers side airbag and multifiction controls was fornd to be the problem. Wheel and Airbag replaced --all noise gone !

Originally Posted by acribb' date='Oct 11 2004, 08:33 PM
I just dropped the car off at Service today.? I had a tech ride with me so I could point out each and every 'issue', including all the door rattles, dash noise, crooked cupholder which won't hold a 12oz can upright, stereo problem (the right side is WAY louder than the right which has a muffled sound to it), and this hollow clicking noise when driving < 40 from the forward right area, not the steering column (I suspect? I can only hear it then because there is less engine noise then).? The tech acknowledged all the issues!

In case anyone cares, i'll post the results when I get the car back.

I'm thinking of asking for a prelimenary test drive before I sign their little yellow sheets of paper.? If anything is not fixed, i'll bring the car back to them and keep their 325 loaner with 4,000 miles on it which hasn't ever even been washed once!? It's that dirty!? And it smells like sour sweat in it as well.? I almost want to wash it myself, I feel so bad for it!? Actually, I feel bad for the person who buys it eventually....

I have a feeling they're going to try to give me some BS on some of these issues, and i'm not going to take it.? This is my second time into Service in the 1 1/2 months i've owned this car.? I just don't have the time or patience to keep taking this thing in all the time....

Hallelujah.

[snapback]43658[/snapback]
Old 10-12-2004, 11:38 AM
Senior Members

Just got off the phone with Service - Clicking noise - Right control arm (suspension?) is getting replaced.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:34 AM
Guest_545_*

acribb,

Did they replace your right control arm? Does that fix it?
Old 10-13-2004, 10:12 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Guest_545_*' date='Oct 13 2004, 08:34 AM
acribb,

Did they replace your right control arm? Does that fix it?
[snapback]44284[/snapback]
That's what they said they are replacing. I'm supposed to get my car today. I'll report back if it REALLY fixes it.

Can you hear that click, too?
Old 10-14-2004, 07:07 PM
BMW_545

Yeah, mine has simular problem like yours since first week.
I can hear the noise when turning steering wheel from the right to the left under 40 miles.
It doesn't bother me too much so I decided to wait. I hate to let them mess up my steering or suspension etc.

Hope they fixed your car. Good luck.
Old 10-15-2004, 06:04 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by acribb' date='Oct 5 2004, 07:30 PM
I finally turned down the stereo and wanted to hear all the noises in the car.? Car is scheduled to go in on Oct 11 and I want to make sure i've got it all down on paper.?

Every door creaks and rattles - i'm bringing in the service bulletin with the carbaflo treatment.? Hopefully that is all that it is.? Mine sounds like the windows rattling though.? Just don't see how the rattle/creaking could be that, but general consensus here says the carbaflo is the way to go. --- Doors don't rattle and squeak anymore.? Hopefully it will last.? They took apart the instrument cluster and it looks like they wrapped it with a thin felt, then re-assembled it.? Dash still vibrates/squeaks.? Even worse, you can see the felt around the edges of the clear plastic covering the instrument cluster.? I spent an hour last night trying to push the felt back so you can't see it.? As far as i'm concerned, if it looks worse than when I brought it in, that's no good.

Back seat/shelf creaks and rattles. - They didn't do anything to fix this.

Driver's seat squeaks like an old rocking chair. - lubed it.? Seems to be gone for now.

NOW, as I was listening to my car (which sounds like it is falling apart), I could hear a click/clunk sound coming from the right side.? I isolated it by driving slow then turning the wheel left slightly while driving.? Click, every time I turn the wheel left.? This could possibly explain the loud CLUNK I hear, intermittently, when starting or stopping.? Could this be a bad CV boot or something?? Has anyone had this type of problem? -- Service said, "Bad bushing on control arm, replaced right control arm "(this is in the front right).? On the papers I signed, it looks like for parts they ordered 2 wishbones, whatever those are.? Anybody know?? Well, at any rate, the EXACT SAME SOUND AND CLICK IS STILL THERE.? What makes me even more irate, is that before I dropped off the car to service, I had the tech ride with me that was going to be working on my car.? He acknowledged the sound with me, so after they fixed the wrong thing, he had to have known the sound was still there!?

Thanks.
[snapback]41637[/snapback]
Just got the car back after 4 days at Service. I received 13.2 software. RDS is there (I don't have Nav). I haven't noticed any transmission shifting difference (still seems clunky), but I have only driven it 20 miles, so perhaps the tranny is still "learning" my driving style, I doubt it though.

See within quote above on 'Resolutions' to above problems. I would venture to say I am about 40% satisfied after this Service visit. Very frustrated and not sure where I should go with this from here.
Old 10-15-2004, 06:52 AM
bmw_545

sorry to hear they couldn't fix it.

Typical BMW service.
Old 10-15-2004, 06:59 AM
Members

Acribb, how about your cup holder?

Quick Reply: Anyone have a clicking sound from right front?