E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Anyone have a clicking sound from right front?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 05:30 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally turned down the stereo and wanted to hear all the noises in the car. Car is scheduled to go in on Oct 11 and I want to make sure i've got it all down on paper.

Every door creaks and rattles - i'm bringing in the service bulletin with the carbaflo treatment. Hopefully that is all that it is. Mine sounds like the windows rattling though. Just don't see how the rattle/creaking could be that, but general consensus here says the carbaflo is the way to go.

Back seat/shelf creaks and rattles.

Driver's seat squeaks like an old rocking chair.

NOW, as I was listening to my car (which sounds like it is falling apart), I could hear a click/clunk sound coming from the right side. I isolated it by driving slow then turning the wheel left slightly while driving. Click, every time I turn the wheel left. This could possibly explain the loud CLUNK I hear, intermittently, when starting or stopping. Could this be a bad CV boot or something? Has anyone had this type of problem?

Thanks.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:52 AM
Senior Members

I have never heard this noise on mine. I don't have the sport package though.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:24 AM
Members

My Ride: '04 525i '97 M3

I have an odd rattle the seems to be coming from my front left. Whenever I drive above 40mph I get a rattling sound thats coming from the steering column, its not a loud noise but just enough to annoy me.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:10 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by martymoose' date='Oct 6 2004, 10:24 AM
I have an odd rattle the seems to be coming from my front left.? Whenever I drive above 40mph I get a rattling sound thats coming from the steering column, its not a loud noise but just enough to annoy me.
[snapback]41773[/snapback]

Marty, do you have the sport package also?
Old 10-06-2004, 09:16 PM
Senior Members

I don't have a noise like that.
Have you checked your wheels to make sure the lug nuts are tightened properly? Just a thought.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:39 PM
BMW_545

Mine does make same kind of noise when turning steering wheel from right to the left in low speed (<40).

It is like that since first few days. I complained it to my dealer once but they couldn't give me a good answer for it. I'd rather not to let them mess up my car.
Still waiting for others see if anyone know what can it be.

PS. I do have sports package.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:37 PM
Senior Members

Hi there

I hear that noise too, it seems to come from inside the steering column. But it doesn't bother me too much so I haven't look into it.

Bunbun.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:17 AM
Senior Members

I too had something resonating somewhere near the steering when the car is on some not so smooth road. It sounded like something is vibrating with the steering.

The techie found the problem! One which I couldn't believe! The sound came from the 3 buttons (right side) on the steering. Now everytime the sounds comes on, I would press on those buttons lightly; and it really works!

The replacement parts arrived 2 weeks ago and I shall be in for the change.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:42 AM
Members

My Ride: '04 525i '97 M3

Originally Posted by skipper' date='Oct 6 2004, 10:10 PM
[quote name='martymoose' date='Oct 6 2004, 10:24 AM']I have an odd rattle the seems to be coming from my front left.? Whenever I drive above 40mph I get a rattling sound thats coming from the steering column, its not a loud noise but just enough to annoy me.
[snapback]41773[/snapback]

Marty, do you have the sport package also?
[snapback]42014[/snapback]
[/quote]

I don't have the sports package. Unlike most everyone on the board, I wanted a smoother ride that's why I stayed with the 16inch wheels that come on the 525i. They are a little 'ugly' but the ride is very comfortable. (I have an M3 for when I want to be 'shaken up' by pot holes ) I don't think that the noise is attributed to the wheels/shocks/transmittion...but I could be wrong.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:58 AM

My sound sounds like a clicking CV boot (if this car has one), I guess, just not as loud. It's a very soft sound and you don't notice it unless the radio is off. You can FEEL it more in the steering, again it's a soft feel....

Quick Reply: Anyone have a clicking sound from right front?