E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Anyone experiencing this??

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 05:16 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi.

I'm a frequent visitor, but a first time poster.

I picked up a new 550i a couple of weeks ago (black on black, Step, Sport, Nav, Ent, CWP, Heated Rear Seats) 550i. This is my 4th BMW, so I have a general feel for how they drive, but it is my first v8. So far, I've noticed several transmission characteristics which are troubling me:

o after travelling a few miles, if i stop and put the car in reverse, it does so with a huge jolt. At first I thought I might not have been coming to a complete stop, but the most recent time it occurred, I made sure I fully stopped before throwing in reverse - - still experienced the jolt.

o after getting the car up to highway speed, if I get off the accelerator, I feel a noticeable drop in speed. All my other BMWs would feel like they were just coasting until I hit the gas again. In addition, if I have to back off the accelerator enough to where the speed drops to around 40, I actually feel the downshift.

So, my questions are: 1) is anyone with a v8 experiencing the above? 2) is what I described normal? 3) if not, is there a fix?

I have other minor issues, but I think from what I've read, that they are more common - - rattle in rear - - stereo sound disappears occaisionally - - steering wheel isn't centered - - comfort stop sucks. Hopefully these will be resolved (especially if BMW issues a software update that allows disabling comfort stop).
Old 11-26-2005, 06:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Hey welcome!

The jolt doenst sound normal... since you said "huge" with automatics there are little jolts thats normal.

as for the car holding in gear and slowing down thats perfectly normal. The Steptronic Transmission now all hold in gears and downsift when you're slow enough. Both the 5 and the 3 do it... even japanese cars do it.

As for software disabling comfort stop... probably not... but why? you dont like it? can u actually feel it working?
Old 11-26-2005, 06:31 PM
Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='203793' date='Nov 26 2005, 09:20 PM
Hey welcome!

The jolt doenst sound normal... since you said "huge" with automatics there are little jolts thats normal.

as for the car holding in gear and slowing down thats perfectly normal. The Steptronic Transmission now all hold in gears and downsift when you're slow enough. Both the 5 and the 3 do it... even japanese cars do it.

As for software disabling comfort stop... probably not... but why? you dont like it? can u actually feel it working?
I'll have to talk to my service folks about the reverse issue, as for comfort stop - - it might be that I'm just not used to it. I tend to feather stop, and when I do, it's almost like the car kind of stops, then lurches forward a bit, then stops hard. Not so much the comfort I was looking for. When I try to stop without feathering, it just snaps you back like normal braking does - - not sure what the comfort thing gives you. Either way, I think I'd be happy without it.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Hummm I was afraid of that with "comfort stop" but weird how not many have been complaining about Comfort stop I was expecting more complaints like yours...

I'm so use to modulating the brakes myself, my own foot is comfort stop I dont think the electronics can do much better than I can.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Hunter' post='203784' date='Nov 26 2005, 09:16 PM
Hi.

I'm a frequent visitor, but a first time poster.

I picked up a new 550i a couple of weeks ago (black on black, Step, Sport, Nav, Ent, CWP, Heated Rear Seats) 550i. This is my 4th BMW, so I have a general feel for how they drive, but it is my first v8. So far, I've noticed several transmission characteristics which are troubling me:

o after travelling a few miles, if i stop and put the car in reverse, it does so with a huge jolt. At first I thought I might not have been coming to a complete stop, but the most recent time it occurred, I made sure I fully stopped before throwing in reverse - - still experienced the jolt.

o after getting the car up to highway speed, if I get off the accelerator, I feel a noticeable drop in speed. All my other BMWs would feel like they were just coasting until I hit the gas again. In addition, if I have to back off the accelerator enough to where the speed drops to around 40, I actually feel the downshift.

So, my questions are: 1) is anyone with a v8 experiencing the above? 2) is what I described normal? 3) if not, is there a fix?

I have other minor issues, but I think from what I've read, that they are more common - - rattle in rear - - stereo sound disappears occaisionally - - steering wheel isn't centered - - comfort stop sucks. Hopefully these will be resolved (especially if BMW issues a software update that allows disabling comfort stop).
Welcome, and congrats on your car. The stout reverse jolt should not be there. Other than normal downshifting, you should not feel huge drops in speed. You don't accidentally have the hill-driving feature activated do you? I've never used it so I don't know how it would feel. And, I know nothing about comfort stop. As Tina Tuner said, "We don't do nuthin nice and easy. Big wheel keeps rolling. Proud Mary ...."
Old 11-27-2005, 12:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i - ordered in January delivered April 21st! Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple.

[/quote]

If you are in the theatre setting then yes it cuts out - go to 'concert' in Logic 7 and you won't have the issue.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:14 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Oaktree
If you are in the theatre setting then yes it cuts out - go to 'concert' in Logic 7 and you won't have the issue.
[/quote]

Unfortunately, already in concert mode.

Thanks for the suggestion though, and to all others on their feedback.