E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Anyone ever had a car shipped long distance?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010 | 12:16 PM
Members

Originally Posted by e6t
I bought a new car from a dealer that's about 1500 miles away and it is due to be transported Friday. I'm very anxious and am concerned that it may get damaged in transport.

Someone put my mind at ease. pLEASE?!?!?!!!!

Hi there,

I shipped my car from New York to Alberta, Canada in a closed shipping container (via semi) approx 2000 miles. Car was delivered to my door in mint shape! I decided to go closed container simply because the car was insured up to 75K and the company specialized in shipping high end vehicles. The car in front of mine was an Audi R8. The cost was a bit more, but well worth it
Old 08-19-2010 | 12:30 PM
Contributors

I used DAS (Dependable Auto Shippers) - it worked out fine. I paid extra to have it expedited and enclosed. It was over 2500 miles and it was a little under $1700 bucks.
Old 08-19-2010 | 12:51 PM
ADD
Senior Members

Originally Posted by e6t
I bought a new car from a dealer that's about 1500 miles away and it is due to be transported Friday. I'm very anxious and am concerned that it may get damaged in transport.

Someone put my mind at ease. pLEASE?!?!?!!!!

When I bought my car through BMWNA, they shipped it from port in NJ to a dealer in PA for prep, and on an open transport (only car) to my home in NY. No issues, aside from road grime.

Couldn't you request that the dealer ship the car to a local dealer for delivery?

What are the rules/laws of delivery? Did you already sign all the purchase docs/deposits/downpayments/etc? I didn't sign anything, or even give them my downpayment until the car was delivered to me. The dealer's driver basically did all that at my kitchen table. I suppose that if you already signed everything, then the car is your responsibility en route. If you didn't sign anything, then wouldn't it be the dealer's responsibility if the car is damaged en route?
Old 08-19-2010 | 02:42 PM
e6t
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ADD
When I bought my car through BMWNA, they shipped it from port in NJ to a dealer in PA for prep, and on an open transport (only car) to my home in NY. No issues, aside from road grime.

Couldn't you request that the dealer ship the car to a local dealer for delivery?

What are the rules/laws of delivery? Did you already sign all the purchase docs/deposits/downpayments/etc? I didn't sign anything, or even give them my downpayment until the car was delivered to me. The dealer's driver basically did all that at my kitchen table. I suppose that if you already signed everything, then the car is your responsibility en route. If you didn't sign anything, then wouldn't it be the dealer's responsibility if the car is damaged en route?
Funny thing... I have the title... i have been called by cadillac to rate my experience in buying the car!

i told the dealer to photograph and document it and have the driver sign off... hopefully he'll respect the fact that its a 70,000 car...

its going on the truck first thing in the am to begin its trek cross country.

think happy thoughts for me!
Old 08-19-2010 | 02:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i

LA - TAIWAN a couple of times.