E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Anyone add SIRIUS module to their E60?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 08:36 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i

I would love to have digital satellite radio with my Logic 7, how difficult or expensive is it to add it to my 2004 545i?

Thanks
Old 03-23-2011, 08:47 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

It depends, you have to get the module + the mounting frame and if your car pre-wired for SAT radio (highly un-likely based on your MY) the power plug already in place along w/ the MOST fiber optic wires. After that you have to re-arrange the MOST fiber optic loop to include that module and bring the car to the dealer for enable coding to show up in the iDrive.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:51 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Do you have CD changer prep in the glove box or trunk? The CD changer prep includes the power and fiber connections that you can use for the SAT radio. Any after market sirius type antenna can be used - you don't need to retrofit the shark fin or anything like that if you don't want to.

I have a SAT tuner I will sell to you.

The dealer will want a couple hundred $$ to enable the SAT or you can look for a forum member near year that is doing NCS Expert coding and they can enable it.

See my HD radio retrofit (in my signature) for related information.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:52 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I bought my module for a couple hundred and then did the mounting in the trunk myself. The dealer had to switch a wire under the seat and then flash the unit. They told me at first (during the process) that I had the wrong unit and they could sell me the correct one with install for 450.00 But then they realized after reminding them again to check under the seat. End cost was 120.00 for flashing and the seat wire connection... Bottom line, they don't like doing it this way because you are cutting into their profit by purchasing the items from somewhere else and all they are getting is the labor!
Old 03-23-2011, 12:45 PM
Senior Members

Just spoke to the dealer and he said my car cannot have Sattelite or Blue tooth even if it was pre wired, he said that it had to be ordered from the factory. My car is a 2004 545i, built in 2003. so no can do :thumbsdown:

He said my car doesn't have the blue tooth antenna. But I wish to challenge that and see if I can do it on my own as a project. I'll wait a few months though, here in Toronto it's a freaking snow storm now.

Sigh.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Tan, Premium, Steptronic

Originally Posted by Shlooky
Just spoke to the dealer and he said my car cannot have Sattelite or Blue tooth even if it was pre wired, he said that it had to be ordered from the factory. My car is a 2004 545i, built in 2003. so no can do :thumbsdown:

He said my car doesn't have the blue tooth antenna. But I wish to challenge that and see if I can do it on my own as a project. I'll wait a few months though, here in Toronto it's a freaking snow storm now.

Sigh.
Your dealer doesn't know what he's talking about. There are plenty of people on this forum who have added BT or SAT or both. I added SAT to my car 5 years after it left Germany. If the car is pre-wired for SAT radio then it is pretty easy to add the receiver and then get it activated in iDrive. If the car is not pre-wired it takes more work but it still can be done. The same goes with the BT module- you can add the component and then have the car programmed to use it.

SAT Radio links here

SAT Radio with SA693 prep package

SAT Radio with no prep package

Here are the official BMW instructions for installing the SAT module in the car.

BMW E60 5 Series Sirius Installation Instructions.pdf

I'd find another dealer, if possible, or call back in and talk to someone else.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:50 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by txag_530i
Your dealer doesn't know what he's talking about. There are plenty of people on this forum who have added BT or SAT or both. I added SAT to my car 5 years after it left Germany. If the car is pre-wired for SAT radio then it is pretty easy to add the receiver and then get it activated in iDrive. If the car is not pre-wired it takes more work but it still can be done. The same goes with the BT module- you can add the component and then have the car programmed to use it.

SAT Radio links here
I'd find another dealer, if possible, or call back in and talk to someone else.

Many thanks for the links and PDF, this forum rocks! he told me based on the VIN that my car is in fact prepped so I will check when the snow melts

Cheers!
Old 03-23-2011, 04:49 PM
Members

Anyone sign up for Sirius recently? (March 2011). Any deals?
Old 03-23-2011, 04:55 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by solkeeper
Anyone sign up for Sirius recently? (March 2011). Any deals?
I renewed a couple of months ago ... first as < $100+ / year ... but I signed up anyway. Saw a couple of posts here about better deals ... called back and talked to the "cancellation dept" and got price lowered to $77/year.

Lesson = Don't take the first price ... ask to talk to someone who is authorized to offer you a better deal!

Check post #21 here >>

https://5series.net/forums/topic/109...y/page__st__15
Old 03-23-2011, 05:36 PM
Senior Members

Ok then I will have to source one of these boxes and attempt the installation myself, and while I'm at it, I may actually buy the iPod adapter as well as the Bluetooth module

Cheers

Quick Reply: Anyone add SIRIUS module to their E60?