E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Anybody owns SMG ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011 | 06:44 PM
Members

Last weekend i sent my 2007 550i to the dealer for the brake recall. As i got there earlier today to pick it up after it was all finished, i turned on the car, started driving away... than after 1 minute i noticed something was wrong with the RPMs. They were acting weird because as soon as i would hit the gas pedal a little, it would go from 2000 rpms to 6000 rpms and the gears were having problems into changing.

Than all of a sudden it started smelling like clutch and than i got a light saying " Clutch overheated, Turn off the car to cool down " i turned off the car for 5 mins than immediately drove back to the dealer, as i was close by. Anyways after arriving there the guy who was taking care of me told me that he noticed my transmission slips when engaging.

Now as am patently waiting for the dealer to call me and let me know what the real problem is, i was wondering if any of you guys that have SMG experienced the same thing? hope am not alone
Old 02-07-2011 | 06:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Clutch gone bye bye...

How many miles do you have? NYC eh? so mostly city stop and go traffic?
Old 02-07-2011 | 07:06 PM
Members

What can i say am a clutch popping animal. haha just kidding

But the car only has 65,000 miles.. and yeah you got that right mostly city driving, but played around with it sometimes here and than
Old 02-07-2011 | 07:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535i

Kind of fishy it happens as soon as you pick it up from the dealer.. imo.
Old 02-07-2011 | 08:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I dont know what the actual average lifetime of these clutches are... on the M5 I've heard many going out at like 40-50k not sure how they are driving them some swear they dont abuse it... Some are reporting clutches going out at 28k miles...
Old 02-07-2011 | 09:04 PM
Members

wow i mean i read some reviews that these clutches had problems but not at such low miles..

Originally Posted by ProMed
Kind of fishy it happens as soon as you pick it up from the dealer.. imo.
yeah exactly, i was thinking the same. But as soon as i told the dealer, his response was "we were working on the brake system and didn't touch anything else beside that" and you know arguing with them wont help. But anyways am abusing their loaner car
Old 02-08-2011 | 05:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

Originally Posted by 550nyc
But anyways am abusing their loaner car
this is bound to endear you to them...
Old 02-08-2011 | 06:40 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 550nyc
wow i mean i read some reviews that these clutches had problems but not at such low miles..

yeah exactly, i was thinking the same. But as soon as i told the dealer, his response was "we were working on the brake system and didn't touch anything else beside that" and you know arguing with them wont help. But anyways am abusing their loaner car
You didn't happen to record your car's mileage in and mileage out ... did the shop write it on the work order? Maybe someone wanted to get the brakes bedded in and took a little joy ride?
Old 02-08-2011 | 07:12 AM
Banned

My Ride: A Car

Yes it's most likely your clutch. Our member here with a 545i SMG had the same problem. Burning clutch smell. Car still drives but needed to cool down the clutch. I recommend removing your car from the dealer and bringing it to us. It will be quite expensive to fix at the dealers.

Thanks

John@Motorcepts

Old 02-08-2011 | 08:18 AM
Contributors

Had the clutch overheated message once about 2 years ago. Parked it at a parking lot for a half an hour. A block later, I get the overheated error message. I guess the parking attendant don't know how to drive with the SMG. Waited for about a half hour it was fine.

Originally Posted by John@Motorcepts
Yes it's most likely your clutch. Our member here with a 545i SMG had the same problem. Burning clutch smell. Car still drives but needed to cool down the clutch. I recommend removing your car from the dealer and bringing it to us. It will be quite expensive to fix at the dealers.

Thanks

John@Motorcepts
I wonder who.
You can still drive it after it cools down. But you might damage other things. I'd recommend you go to Motocepts and get it replaced. Got mine replaced at 55k miles.

Quick Reply: Anybody owns SMG ?