E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any transmission Gurus some advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 03:45 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 2006 sedan auto

Originally Posted by Chilango1986
So just wanted to post a reply to my findings. I finally got my INPA to work properly and got my codes. The code that came up for transmission was 4581. That was the only one. I since then cleared my codes, and my car no longer is jerks when coming to a stop, no more harsh shifts. So what should be the next step?
Im glad to read that you have got things working!

4581 is a usual fault code for clutch A im pretty sure. which registers that there is a different speed of the clutches from the imput to the output. (Kyle will know that for sure)

There could be a few reasons for that fault: Filter, seals,solenoids, fluid level.

But you wrote that you changed the filter, seals and fluid.

I did the same thing as you with my first attempt at fixing my transmission.
It was changing okay if I was gentle with my acceleration but if I put my foot into it, Bam! the safety drive warning would come back on.

Servicing the valve body and new solenoids fixed it all.

I hope you maybe okay (fingers crossed) after removing the fault code.

But if you do put your foot into it or if it goes back to safety mode and the fault code returns, then the solenoids will be the problem.

Keep the post up to date as you are doing as it is important for other members having the same problem and watching how you fix it.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:33 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 530i & 88 325

From what I read when I looked up the code, that it has to do with the 5th and 6th gear something something. lol I can't find the link again. But that makes sense because I was on the freeway when it went into safe mode. I had slammed on the gas and it downshifted then boom safe mode.

For now I will monitor the cars driving, I have a heavy right foot so I will try to ease off for now. But will check for codes on the weekends just to see if it continues. In a few weeks ill do another fluid change to try and circulate more new fluid in and to check fluid levels. And save up for the solenoids. When you said to have the valve body service what does that include ?

Yes, I did seals, fluid, filter and sleeve.

But I will make sure to keep posting to show the status and as I get any changes so if this happens to anyone else it can give a helping hand.

Thanks again for all the feedback. Definitely some cool people on this forum.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:34 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 2006 sedan auto

Personally I wouldnt drain your fluid again.
But I would make sure you had the correct fluid level.

Make sure your car is flat when you do it
I held a spirit level on the bottom of my Transmission filter till I got it nice and flat from front to back and side to side.
Then I was able to make sure the exact amount of fluid was in the transmission.

If you are low, the problem could occur again. But no need to drain your fluids. Save your money and do it if you have to change the soleniods.

Valve body.

I live in Japan so it was difficult for me to find anyone to service my valve body.
I sent mine to china and had it done
I have sent three others to have it done and they also fitted the new solenoids as well.
Then I simply bolted it back in.

If you can afford to do it, (about $900) send a PM to seanjordan20 and ask him the exact price and place he got his done.

It will make sure that everything is right when you put it back together and no more problems.

Most people on this forum are great people who will help when ever they can.
Owning a BMW is about enjoying your car and maintaining it.

I love lifting my bonnet every week and making sure its perfect, cleaning it and enjoying the drive.

Its a big learning curve to owning a Japanese car but its all about the experience of owning a wonderful car.

And drive safe! watch that foot!
Old 07-26-2016, 10:15 AM
New Members

Again thanks for all the help, I am trying to save right now for the big transmission overhaul. So it will be something that will no longer be a worry. But so far so good with no issues, I have been easier on it for now and from time to time I have gotten on it and still no issues. Granted I still feel the hard jerk in 5 to 6th so pretty sure those are my bad solenoids. But since clearing my codes, the jerk in down shift to a stop has gone away, and I have a shake in my steering wheel but no longer seems to continue.

Ill send hit him up so I can figure out what I will need to save up for since I want keep this bad boy running for a lot longer.

Yeah I have gotten some great help here, this is my second BMW. I have a E30 but that is super easy to work on and diagnosis. This car is so much electronics it becomes a bit much. I have notifications going off all the time. Like my tail light is bad then it isnt, or my fog lamp or now the current issue is my passenger restraint is not working properly lol. Always something. But luckily this forum has great info and awesome people to give advice.

Thanks for all the advice! I will try to watch it but its so much fun lol !
Old 07-26-2016, 10:40 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by Chilango1986
this is my second BMW. I have a E30 but that is super easy to work on and diagnosis.
best of luck, I have an E30 too
Old 07-26-2016, 10:46 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by KyleB
best of luck, I have an E30 too
GASP! You have one too ! NICE ! Seriously such a fun car. Mines been sitting for a minute, but just resurfaced the head, new gaskets all around and ARP studs. Looking for a nice turbo but then the E60 starting giving me issues so there went boost money