E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Any members here with high mileage E60

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 06:43 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bad news on my E60
Only ended up with 191,000 miles and transmission went on my 2005 545. Loved that car but a new tranny is about $8,000, almost as much as the car is worth today. Best car I ever owned but was about to cost even more for tires oil leaks and allignmnt so I had to say goodbye.
After having 4 Bimmers I got a new A6 Audi and I must say it is one terrific car. Fast and handles well and great electronic gadgets, but can't knock those BMWs, great long lasting cars and i hope my Audi last as long. FINGERS CROSSED!
Old 05-11-2012, 07:41 AM
Members

Originally Posted by netjazz
Bad news on my E60
Only ended up with 191,000 miles and transmission went on my 2005 545. Loved that car but a new tranny is about $8,000, almost as much as the car is worth today. Best car I ever owned but was about to cost even more for tires oil leaks and allignmnt so I had to say goodbye.
After having 4 Bimmers I got a new A6 Audi and I must say it is one terrific car. Fast and handles well and great electronic gadgets, but can't knock those BMWs, great long lasting cars and i hope my Audi last as long. FINGERS CROSSED!
sorry to hear that... were you the original owner? did you ever change the tranny lifetime fluid around 100K miles?
Old 05-11-2012, 07:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530d SE,manual,beige Dakota leather,light wood trim,jet black.(alot will be changed)

192 thousand miles on mine, 530d 2004, my engine has received no mechanical components so far which I think is amazing, not even a turbo. the rest of the car lets it down, mainly electrics. Iv'e replaced both battery leads. one of my windows does not work despite changing the module and switch, 2 parking sensors, numerous air bag light faults and restraint system failures. numerous battery replacements and random drain over night. I've de-flapped it, I service it every 20,000 miles with castrol edge fully synthetic 5w-30 for diesel. the rear trunk gas struts are worn out. my wiper motor makes a hell of a noise when cold. about 3 times a year my crank position sensor goes faulty and shuts the engine of at about 2000 rpm despite being replaced. The flexi joint was broke for 3 years before i knew and the only way i found out was that my wife filled it with petrol and drove about 20 miles, the detonation basically blew the flexi apart, my glow plug module does not work, the 5th and 6th glow plug where broken for years, My air flow meter shows a fault even though the car runs fine and has plenty of power and has an average mpg of 49-51mpg.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:05 AM
Members

Now at 144,000. Had the oil leaks fixed. I tried to save money so I had the rocker gaskets replaced at a less than -let?s say BMW wise shop. Eventually I took it to a reputable BMW shop. $2600 later with Timing cover gasket and the gasket behind the Alternator bracket replaced. Not a drop of oil on the floor. The owner told me that the 15,000 mile oil change he believes is the cause of the gasket failure. Who knows. I have never had a motor leak so badly at $120k. I changed the front rotors and shoes for the first time too. Running Zimmerman rotors and the brake dust is far less. The car still rides like a new one. Love it. I did go test drive a M5. Trade in $8,000 for my 2004 545i in top condition. The dealer told me that my car looks in top condition but they just send it to auction. I'll see again at 200k.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' BMW 550i

Originally Posted by Atlast
Now at 144,000. Had the oil leaks fixed. I tried to save money so I had the rocker gaskets replaced at a less than -let?s say BMW wise shop. Eventually I took it to a reputable BMW shop. $2600 later with Timing cover gasket and the gasket behind the Alternator bracket replaced. Not a drop of oil on the floor. The owner told me that the 15,000 mile oil change he believes is the cause of the gasket failure. Who knows. I have never had a motor leak so badly at $120k. I changed the front rotors and shoes for the first time too. Running Zimmerman rotors and the brake dust is far less. The car still rides like a new one. Love it. I did go test drive a M5. Trade in $8,000 for my 2004 545i in top condition. The dealer told me that my car looks in top condition but they just send it to auction. I'll see again at 200k.
I guess this theory about 15,000 oil changes is true. I had same opinion after talk with 20+ tech that worked on Audi, BMW and Benz. He said the failure does happen because engine vent system failed due to old oil is out gassing too much so the pressure builds up and eventually oil gaskets are failed.

I have 77,600 miles on car : engine harness, thermostat, temp sensor, crankshaft sensor, two active stabilizers, sunroof seal, battery, trust arm bushing, tie rod, small oil seepage from sensor on back of engine, belt tension.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:04 PM
New Members

Well I believe I have one of the higher mileage gas burners in the 10 pages it took to get here. I Have a new to me( 1mo/1000mi) 04 525i that has 172k and I have no idea of previous repairs or maintenance history. Car was traded to me for a boat I had, hopefully Ill get more use out of the car but a little worried on the high miles. Car is in excellent condition and drives and handles great for a car with such miles. Changed the oil the other day and then decided to check out the trunk and battery compartment. Pulled out the spare to clean out the well and noticed a yellow powder looking crap all in the well and on the spare. Opened up the battery compartment and the stuff was everywhere. Turns out whoever replaced battery didnt put a vent tube on it and gasses had no where to go and the powdered corrosion was a inch thick on the floor of the battery well. Wish I would have taken pics as it was nasty but only minimal surface rust below battery but Im worried about any effects it may have on the fuse block ect... Put a tube on battery and cleaned everything as good as I could but ...

Also have a 2 wire connection with a red and blue that I cant see where it goes(runs down wheelwell towards pos terminal but not quite that long) after pulling battery out and reinstalling. Didnt know to keep power to system so ZI probably have set off every code there is. Hopefully I can reset everything w/o having to take it to someplace. Also AC blower started acting up running on low only intermittently. Have got battery on low charge to see if that helps. Guess I may start looking for things such as bolts that appear to have been wrenched on before to try to assess if things have been worked on before.
May should have run a car fax on it before I got it but didnt want to find out possible bad news at the time since I had already commited to the trade.
Attached Thumbnails Any members here with high mileage E60-107_3272.jpg   Any members here with high mileage E60-107_3266.jpg  
Old 05-27-2012, 05:47 PM
New Members

My Ride: 05 545 Black Sapphire Black Dakota sport package

Originally Posted by JAYS545
I have an 04' 6mt 545 with 87k and no problems so far.
Hey Buddy I have a 05 545 just hit 101000 bought it with 97k most people are shocked when they find out how old it is and mileage. Also in Balto
Old 05-27-2012, 08:27 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i SMG (cleanly modded) Honda S2000 (Track and Street setup) 2006 CBR rr 1000 (Street and track setup)

545i SMG. 100k miles. No major issues, just routine maintenance. On the other hand, the maintenance on the SMG transmission is $$$$ Changed the SMG pump, SMG hydraulic module, clutch, clutch actuator (the mechanism on any SMG car that's technically your left foot if youre driving a manual), flywheel.
I love this car to be honest Enough power (v8) and comfy.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:31 PM
Members

My Ride: bmw
Model Year: 2000

2007 530xi wagon, 128k miles and running strong. no tranny fluid change so far.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:31 PM
New Members

08' 550i with 95,000 miles original owner. Picked up the extended warranty to 100k and it came in handy a couple of times after warranty driver side power seat issue, vacuum pump/oil leak, and coolant leak all repaired with $200 deductible. Besides all that running strong!

Quick Reply: Any members here with high mileage E60