E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Any e60 owners ride sportbikes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 07:10 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 550I Sport, Jet Black w/Tan Interior: Comfort Access, Premium Package, Nav, Sirius Radio, Cold Weather Package

I rode enduro bikes when I was young, stopped while my kids were growing up. Been riding a 919 Hornet for the last 7 years but taking delivery of a new Ducati Multistrada 1200s Touring this month. Can't say enough about safety training, especially if you are riding in an urban setting. Too many distractions and too little attention, you are invisible and quick. Several people a year get killed here, by inattentive drivers that change lanes without signals, right in front of high speed motorcycles. Enjoy your bike but defensive driving takes on a whole new meaning when you've got no protective shell around you.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:00 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 530d, AC front lip, AC rear boot spoiler, AC rear roof spoiler, M6 alloy wheels.

Thanks for the input & advice guys.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:11 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

The best advice is to drive like you are invisible, even if you think some car driver has made eye contact with you. People are looking for something big and sometimes a motorcycle just doesn't register with them when they are looking to make a turn or are pulling out. I've had eight bikes over many years and was never in an accident because of this.
The most common accident involving an auto and a car is when the car is coming from the opposite direction and then proceeds to make a left turn right across your lane. Remember to use your brakes AND steering to clear a potential accident, don't just lock the brakes and skid into someone or something.
May the force be with you...
Old 05-31-2010, 08:17 PM
Members

have a ninja zx9r since 2003 and i still run the green beast..........
Old 06-01-2010, 05:25 PM
Contributors

I got an 05 r1, had an 01 r6, but I wanted more power. I am located in SOCAL, best place to ride on summer! Dangerous if you are not aware of your surroundings, been hit once (broke a wrist) fallen off about 7 times, last time I broke 2 fingers, most of these falls happen in the Malibu canyons haha, im no expert and those canyons are killers. Either way, I am reppin' the ILL Riderz, LA area. =D
Old 06-09-2010, 12:15 PM
Members

I might suggest the Triumph Daytona 675 and being from the uk I think its kinda required you ride bike built in the uk!
But its a nice off brand sport bike and totally rips on the track when you get to that level. plus the uk has the triumph triple challenge once you get even further and are ready entry level racing.

State farm insurance is pretty lenient on it for some reason here in the states not sure about options over there.
we have a nice forum at triumph675.net if your interested in used ones.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 535d M Sport. Carbon Black, Black Leather, Sports Seats, Black Ash, Bluetooth, Auto Lights & Wipers, Navi Pro, Sunroof, Logic7, Anthracite Headlining, Heated Seats, Bi-Xenon�s, Twin DVD screens in the rear hooked up to a 10 disc DVD multi-changer, Clarion Wireless Headphones.

I had a 1999 GSXR600 (SRAD) 6 years ago, loved every min on the thing.

Then an incident on a minimoto (15cc pull start!!) which robbed me of my right leg for 12 months. When I finally got back on the bike it never felt the same.

Then last week my ex-neighbour allowed me to get insured as a named driver on his 05 CBR1000 Fireblade.

Wow, what a piece of kit.

It had been 6 years since I threw my leg over a bike and it all came flooding back.

Sadly my leathers don't fit me anymore so I had to borrow his boots and jacket, but riding with no leg protection was wrong. I couldn't click back in and whilst I enjoyed riding, without leathers if wasn't the same.

If you do get a 600, be careful, these things will kill you quicker than you can imagine. They are death machines that need respect and time to learn how to ride on the road. Leathers and decent boots are an absolute must, once you throw yourself down the road you will instantly appreciate all the money you spent on them!!!

I found the quality of roads has declined lots in 6 years and was constantly on the lookout for potholes, gravel, diesel, horse crap etc...

Be careful and enjoy!
Old 06-09-2010, 02:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

Originally Posted by rkoenig
This is the truth. Lost many a friend to the bikes. I still ride, but only on dirt.

If you decide to ride, remember you are invisible, and you are a target.
+1000... Ive seen many guys, friends and an ex seriously injured and almost lost a life to his bike, not even through his own fault. He lost his spleen, punctured lungs, reconstructed ankles, lost part of his ear, has tremendous scars and road rash to no end. Forget it.. although they are fun your at the mercy of other drivers. Be safe and careful please and dont be stupid..
Old 06-10-2010, 08:04 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60

Originally Posted by sparky8181
shit thats harsh, never mind scaring me into wearing gear, i think that site has scared me off getting one at all.
+1!! That's one scary website!!

I've been riding for over 20 years and one thing for sure, if you ride long enough, you're bound to have an accident or two.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:38 AM
Members

the 675 i mentioned is pretty powerful and yet somewhat forgiving due to being a 3 cylinder.

But it's all the gear all the time or i dont ride.
Which is why do track days only now.
Helmet, Full leathers, spine protector, chest and rib protector, full gauntlet gloves, and full sized boots.

Here in florida i all too often see the douche bag with shorts, flip flops and a tshirt or no shirt on.
I just always pray for natural selection to take its course.
Unfortunately I see way to many bikini wearing girls on the back, and them i just simply pray for.

But I can tell you a well ridden 600cc bike is faster than a poorly ridden 1000.
14 year old kid smoked the entire advanced group recently at my barber motorsports track day on a cbr600rr vs many liter bikes.

Quick Reply: Any e60 owners ride sportbikes?