E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Any E60 owner in the Philadelphia area?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 04:10 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With an SMG that wants to give me a test ride?

Darn dealers do not have ANY SMG cars to test ride/drive at all. I really want to experience the trans before I make my decision on whether to order it or not.

Just thought I might get lucky and find a 545 driver in the area that might be kind enough to meet me.

My salesman is soooooo trying to talk me out of the SMG, and I am sooooo trying to talk myself into it.

Thanks.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:35 AM
Members

Why would they talk you out of it? I have had 3 manual BMWs prior to the SMG. The SMG is my favorite so far. With the throttle blipping downshifts, it makes it easier to be in exactly the gear you want to be in when you want to be in it (even 1st gear in tight corners).

I use the sport mode when driving by myself, and slow shift mode with passengers. I find both modes to be perfect timing for their intended use. I never use automatic mode (has a mind of its own). I do not miss the clutch during my stop and go morning commute.

I would be happy to let you try it. I can even give you some tips for a faster learning curve.

I live in Yardley and work in Fort Washington. Where are you?
Old 10-28-2005, 09:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

Originally Posted by Kadonny' date='Oct 28 2005, 08:10 AM
With an SMG that wants to give me a test ride?

Darn dealers do not have ANY SMG cars to test ride/drive at all.? I really want to experience the trans before I make my decision on whether to order it or not.

Just thought I might get lucky and find a 545 driver in the area that might be kind enough to meet me.?

My salesman is soooooo trying to talk me out of the SMG, and I am sooooo trying to talk myself into it.

Thanks.
[snapback]189944[/snapback]

I will be getting my 550SMG in about 10 days, I will be glad to let you test drive it. I live in cherry hill NJ, about 10mins away, PM me if you want to meet. The SMG is the best thing to ever happen to BMW !!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-28-2005, 10:41 AM
Members

I live in Pottstown and work in the King of Prussia area.

Gears5, maybe I can buy you lunch and you can give me a ride. I am not asking to drive your car, just want a ride in it to experience it. Also katheikia, thank you for the offer. Cherry Hill is a little farther, but still doable if I can not hook up with Gears5. Thank you.

The dealer keeps telling me how "jerky" and "non smooth" the trans is especially in any kind of traffic. He does give it accolades in pure backroad driving conditions, but really does not recommend if you drive in traffic a decent amount of time. He says if I want to shift on my own, why not just go with the stick. He just keeps telling me that he wants me to be happy, and maybe ordering a car with no experience in driving it he is afraid I will rag on him if I don't like it.

I personally don't see how I won't like it. My 2 main concerns are passengers and their comfort with the shifts and hard launching......just in case I need to smoke a ricer or two I have wanted the SMG ever since I first read about it. It is the best of both worlds. I love to drive a car hard, and the SMG seems to fit that bill perfectly.

Gears, where did you get your car? I used to have a friend as a service advisor over at the old Keenan, I think they changed their dealership name now if I am not right. I am dealing with Devon Hill in Devon.

Thanks both of you for your help. Gears, I will PM you and see if we can hook up. Thanks.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Kadonny' date='Oct 28 2005, 12:41 PM
I live in Pottstown and work in the King of Prussia area.

Gears5, maybe I can buy you lunch and you can give me a ride.? I am not asking to drive your car, just want a ride in it to experience it.? Also katheikia, thank you for the offer.? Cherry Hill is a little farther, but still doable if I can not hook up with Gears5.? Thank you.

The dealer keeps telling me how "jerky" and "non smooth" the trans is especially in any kind of traffic.? He does give it accolades in pure backroad driving conditions, but really does not recommend if you drive in traffic a decent amount of time.? He says if I want to shift on my own, why not just go with the stick.? He just keeps telling me that he wants me to be happy, and maybe ordering a car with no experience in driving it he is afraid I will rag on him if I don't like it.

I personally don't see how I won't like it. My 2 main concerns are passengers and their comfort with the shifts and hard launching......just in case I need to smoke a ricer or two ? I have wanted the SMG ever since I first read about it.? It is the best of both worlds.? I love to drive a car hard, and the SMG seems to fit that bill perfectly.

Gears, where did you get your car?? I used to have a friend as a service advisor over at the old Keenan, I think they changed their dealership name now if I am not right.? I am dealing with Devon Hill in Devon.

Thanks both of you for your help.? Gears, I will PM you and see if we can hook up.? Thanks.
[snapback]190105[/snapback]
Old 10-28-2005, 11:17 AM
Members

I get all my BMWs at West German (right here in Ft Washington). The salesman actually talked me into the SMG. I test drove an M3 and Z4 with it and loved both.

It is not jerky once you get past the learning curve. I can see if your dealer salesman has less than 500 miles behind the wheel of an SMG, that he might think that. I actually have a friend with the exact same car except with the manual transmission. His wife complained about how jerky that car was. He said had trouble getting used to a clutch in a heavy car.

With the SMG, people who complain about it shifting too slow or to quick, haven't figured out that you control the speed at which it selects the next gear with the throttle.

It's very cool.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:31 AM
Members

Great info.

I sent you a PM to see if we can hook up. Thank you a million times.