E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Any Comments on My New 550i Order

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 09:59 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They've definitely dumbed down their interior and exterior pallets in the interest of appealing to a larger sector of the market. What happened to the beautiful reds and dark brown interiors? How about the startling blues and M colors that occasionally made their way into the rest of the line? It's so depressing looking at all the colors/trims/features available in Europe (or even Canada!) that we'll never get in the US.

Originally Posted by JeffNNJ' post='891187' date='May 26 2009, 08:34 PM
It still amazes me how BMW has absolutely no imagination when it comes to colors. Sure, you can get Barbera red but it's not that great looking and you can't get it with the M-Sport package. BMW has so many different grays, silvers and charcoals that it's completely unnecessary. What about a nice deep burgundy or a metallic pearl white?? Where's their imagination?? And while they're at it, how about offering some nicer woods. Bamboo is great but again, not stunning. I have seen some truly incredible veneers in Mercedes and Lexus and we are basically stuck with the same 2 or 3 every year.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:47 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by newt' post='890122' date='May 26 2009, 01:01 AM
Don't buy the hype. Unless you're planning to spend thousands of dollars to chip your 535 (and possibly lose your bmw warranty), the 535i is never going to put the smile on your face that a 550i will. Every time I hear the weight argument, all I can say is, look at the M5. It's ~350 lbs heavier (curb weight) than a 535i; are you going to try to argue that a 535i drives better than an M5 because it's lighter? Each BMW has it's own specialized tuned suspension that helps take care of the extra weight, making for balanced driving dynamics. Oh, and the M-Sport Aerodynamics package looks better than just about any other body package I've seen out there.

Oh and the Sports Automatic is awesome. So are manuals. Go with whatever you're more comfortable with.
Newt,
You get a smile everytime you blow by a 550. You get a 535 for what it can do, not for what it is. If your worried about what other people think you should get a 550, it's a higher number right? There definatley is a different feel and sound from the V8 and that could be a legitimate attraction as the 535 even with software has a pretty flat torque curve so it does not feel as fast as the V8. If you option the 535 with all of the goodies and get the Dinan stage II, the cost difference is very small so it's a matter of what you want from the car.
My last car was a V8, and my next car will be the TT V8, but right now the 535 is still my best choice for what I want.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:56 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're going to do a 535 with the options you want and then a JB3, downpipes, intake, and an exhaust, I think you'll still be richer than if you bought a 550i. Then you'll do 0-60 in 4.2 seconds (N54tech confirmed) and be sitting behind the engine of the year for the past...three years now?

V8 rumble or the spooling of two turbos? Your choice. I was at the same crossroads and people told me the same thing. "Who cares what others think of you not having the model with the higher number?" and I'm so glad I listened because I know if I wanted to mod, which I do, I have quite a bit to work with compared with the 550. Plus, it was cheaper and if I left it stock, I would still beat most of the cars on the road if I wanted to.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:34 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by monacobmw' post='890529' date='May 26 2009, 06:37 PM
I do not have the same technical knowledge here as everyone else, but I can say that 30-40mph winds will knock my existing 530i around a bit.
It is a large and light car, but it acts like a kite in windy weather.
THis is nice in calm weather driving on flat highway. My 530i gets great fuel efficiency, and I will miss that benefit with the 550i, but at the end of the day, I am moving into a really nice car (3 year lease) until the F10 arrives. I am happy with my 530i power, but here in Miami, everyone has a 5-series. I have saved wisely, and this should be a good purchase/lease.

What is the Anthracite Headliner? I am getting Bamboo. Is the Anthracite the gray metal-like trim that you find in the M5?
The Anthracite Headliner means the material on the pillars and ceiling is anthracite, so it combines very nicely with the dark dash / doors / carpets etc.
Its standard on the m-sport pack here in europe.

Did you order the SAT? If not, its an absolute must do IMHO. Its not just about the paddels, its also about much quicker shifts when in manual mode and the sports mode that holds the revs much better.

Congrats on the order, what a car