E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Another SMG failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 01:41 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 Mystic Blue 530i - Sport Package, SMG, Beige Leather, Poplar Wood, Navigation, Park Distance Control, Cold-Weather Package, Premium/Logic 7 Sound, Comfort Seats, Heated Rear Seats, Rear Sunshades. Build date Jan. 2004. Current CIP version 20.01.

Just experienced a similar problem this week, Monday,with my 04 530i SMG. Driving normally, transmission went to N and would not engage any gear. No glitch, no warning. The idrive said transmission fault R, 1, 2, and 3 only available. Unfortunately no amount of stick stirring provided any benefit. Flat bed to dealer. They said a cell on the battery was dead and the low voltage situation cause a transmission "fail-safe" condition. They couldn't explain the inability to engage any gear. So battery replaced, computer reset, I pick up the car the next day and it drives perfectly....until Wednesday when it happens all over again! Same idrive fault message) Wait an hour and a half after BMW assist call. Flat bed to dealer. (the very same tow truck driver who says he tows more BMW and Lexus than any other brand)

The BMW service people are confused about the return visit. The mechanic is all set to delve back into the mysteries of computer electronics. I tell the SA about the E60 forum and previous posts implicating the SMG hydraulics. While unhappy to be told his business, he promises to have the hydraulics checked out.

Today I receive a call from the SA. He says it's exactly what I told him to check. SMG hydraulic pump and servo system need to be replaced. Parts/installation expected Monday. Fully expected to solve the problem.
Meanwhile I drive a Lincoln Towncar from Enterprise.

Thanks for a great forum.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:02 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i, silver/black, sports pck, premium sound, cold weather pck, SMG, NAV, sat. radio. Porsche 996 C2 '99

Originally Posted by E60DC' post='275365' date='Apr 28 2006, 05:41 PM
Just experienced a similar problem this week, Monday,with my 04 530i SMG. Driving normally, transmission went to N and would not engage any gear. No glitch, no warning. The idrive said transmission fault R, 1, 2, and 3 only available. Unfortunately no amount of stick stirring provided any benefit. Flat bed to dealer. They said a cell on the battery was dead and the low voltage situation cause a transmission "fail-safe" condition. They couldn't explain the inability to engage any gear. So battery replaced, computer reset, I pick up the car the next day and it drives perfectly....until Wednesday when it happens all over again! Same idrive fault message) Wait an hour and a half after BMW assist call. Flat bed to dealer. (the very same tow truck driver who says he tows more BMW and Lexus than any other brand)

The BMW service people are confused about the return visit. The mechanic is all set to delve back into the mysteries of computer electronics. I tell the SA about the E60 forum and previous posts implicating the SMG hydraulics. While unhappy to be told his business, he promises to have the hydraulics checked out.
Today I receive a call from the SA. He says it's exactly what I told him to check. SMG hydraulic pump and servo system need to be replaced. Parts/installation expected Monday. Fully expected to solve the problem.
Meanwhile I drive a Lincoln Towncar from Enterprise.

Thanks for a great forum.
Interesting what the driver said about Lexus. They have such a reputation. Yeasterday, on my way to the dealer, I saw another 545 on a flat bed on its way to the dealer. Today I put a few miles on the car, so far so good.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:28 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by my530i' post='274992' date='Apr 28 2006, 01:43 AM
Already cancelled the M5 order?
haha
Old 04-28-2006, 03:35 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright, B2B. Get a manual or step. I choose manual over step
Old 05-02-2006, 09:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i, silver/black, sports pck, premium sound, cold weather pck, SMG, NAV, sat. radio. Porsche 996 C2 '99

New problem. Now when I park and pull on the emergency break the car goes into neutral. This has not happend while driving yet. Had anybody else had this same problem? already called My "friends" at Fields BMW.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Rafael Montalvo' post='276972' date='May 2 2006, 10:53 AM
New problem. Now when I park and pull on the emergency break the car goes into neutral. This has not happend while driving yet. Had anybody else had this same problem? already called My "friends" at Fields BMW.

HHummm is that a problem? I know some have tried to do power slides in snow with SMGs and when you are moving and yank on the hand brake it'll stall the car cuz SMG has no idea what you're doing and locks up the rear wheels and stalls the engine.

It'll be smart if they programmed it to go into neutral when you yank on the hand brake at speed and then engage the previous gear again when you release it!

BUT while in park?? thats odd...