E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Another RTP puncture

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 04:31 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: GONE BUT NOT FOGOTTEN : 530d SE Auto : Titanium Grey / Anthracite Leather, Poplar Trim, 18in 123 Style Alloys, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, Business Nav, Hi-Fi Speaker Package, Heated seats, Split-Fold Rear Seats LR DISCO 3 HSE with everything (including 3 kids)
Question

Sorry guys but I need to vent

I've had a second puncture in two months - and in the same tyre ! Which means replacing it again ! (Patching invalidates the speed rating and this is right near the sidewall).

The most annoying thing is that the rest of the tyres have a good tread left on them and I have been waiting to swap away from Dunlop RFTs! Now I have to replace a tyre that I'm probably going to replace in 6M time anyway.

This has got me thinking though - In all my driving life I have only had 4 punctures and three have been on my E60. So, either :

a) The RFTs are more susceptible to punctures (since they are stiffer)

b) I've just be damn unlucky (or possibly lucky in the past)

c) Someone has been spiking my tyres (The MB owner next door )

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>Grrrrrrrrrrr.......</span>
Old 04-27-2005, 04:40 AM
Senior Members

sorry to hear that :'(. for some reason members have more problem with runflats than regular tires. but the trend is going this way in many car/tire manufacturers. go figure .
Old 04-27-2005, 01:14 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alohalc' date='Apr 27 2005, 01:40 PM
sorry to hear that :'(.? for some reason members have more problem with runflats than regular tires.? but the trend is going this way in many car/tire manufacturers.? go figure .
[snapback]120733[/snapback]
The last 2 times when I changed cars from a 320 to a 325 to the 530. I've had punctures the day before picking up my new car. Also had a puncture a week after I picked up my 530. Seems like coincidence or the previous car was unhappy that I was letting it go.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: GONE BUT NOT FOGOTTEN : 530d SE Auto : Titanium Grey / Anthracite Leather, Poplar Trim, 18in 123 Style Alloys, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, Business Nav, Hi-Fi Speaker Package, Heated seats, Split-Fold Rear Seats LR DISCO 3 HSE with everything (including 3 kids)
Angry

I hate to tell you guys this but I need to vent - following my earlier post I now have another large screw through one of my tyres. I am sure I felt it go in as I reversed off-of my drive this morning. I definitely felt resistance as I tried to move-off and immediately thought something was wrong, about 1 mile down the road the RFT indicator came on (this surely should be reprogrammed with the sound of a cash register "cha-ching" )

Unfortunately my earlier quip about someone spiking my tyres appears to be true

Have spoken to the police - sympathetic but nothing that they can realistically do. It looks like I'll have to check my wheels every morning before setting out. And I thought my neighborhood was a nice one !!

Anybody got any experince of repairing runflats ! I have heard that this is not a good idea but since this will be the 4th new trye in 6 months I'm seriously considering it.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:16 AM
Contributors

I had my Dunlop runflat repaired by my dealer a week after I got me car. The screw was in the middle of the tyre and not on the sidewall so it was repaired.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:21 AM
Senior Members

Did the dealer do it themselves or did they get a trye-shop to do it.

I have been doing some calling-around. Almost every tyre place say that they can-not /will-not repair run-flats. Although my local "National Tyres" has said that they will take a look. I will also give my dealer a call - thanks for the tip.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:55 AM
Contributors

Funny you should mention that.
By chance and timing the usual tyre person at my dealer was off sick and the apprentice they had was not sure about repairing/replacing the tyres due to his inexperience I guess. In the end my dealer took it across the road to Hi-Q, who had the expertise to repair the tyre. The transaction went through my dealer, so I guess it was their responsibility anyway.

So maybe you can try Hi-Q if there is one around your place.
Hope that helps.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:17 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 525iA, silvergray, steptronic, Active steering, PDC, sport seats, beige dakotaleather, poppel trim, M-sport steering wheel, star spoke 123, xenon lights, large clima, cruise control.

I had a puncture on my RF last week and found out following. Som puncture can be repaired if they are at "right places" and if you don?t have driven too long on empty tyre. It?s expensive tyres and less comfort, when it?s time to change all 4 I?ll go for non RF.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:14 AM
Senior Members

Thanks guys - I mananged to get it repaired for a "Drink" (i.e. a small amount of cash paid directly to the fitter) at a local tyre dealers.

They were realy helpful and really seemed to know his stuff.