E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Another RFT puncture story

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 11:48 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

I had a nail stuck in my rear tire and so it leaked air slowly. I took it to "Just Tires" and they refused to repair my tire, citing that BMW does not want its RFT to be repaired. They also verified with Dunlop that even though
RFT's can be repaired, BMW just won't recommend it.

As it turned out, lady luck called, BMWNA borrowed my car for emission testings and gave me a 750 to drive. I made sure that the nail was under the contact patch and can't be detected upon inspection. They took my car for 2 weeks. I thought they would find the nail and give me a new tire, since they're not supposed to fix flats.

2 weeks have passed and I got my car back. I immediately noticed that the puncture tire was the same one, but they've repaired the tire. There was a small chip on my wheel and tire that are exactly on the same place. I noticed that they've come apart by about 1/4" upon my car's return. So I know the tire was removed. Since there is no more flat warning, I assume they had repaired the hole.

Therefore, RFT can be repaired.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

RFT are not supposed to be fixed....when a puncture occurs you are supose to change the tyre not repair it in anyway, im not very sure why....but that is the thing ur not supose to repair them....people do repair them others replace them...in fact some dealers tell you they cannot be fixed, i was told this by the bridgestone dealer and also a bmw dealer when i told him the car was new and im not paying 300 dollars to fix a puncture all of a sudden they became repairable...as far as i know nails are definitly repairable...but when the tyre gets hit in the side wall or gets torn it can no longer be fixed....
i would repair them because i doesnt make sense that a puncture costs 300 dollars to fix....am waiting for my tyres to wear out a bit then im changing them to non-rft...
btw...is it just me....or does anybody think RFT have less grip than regular tyres...
Old 03-14-2006, 07:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' post='254846' date='Mar 14 2006, 12:48 PM
I had a nail stuck in my rear tire and so it leaked air slowly. I took it to "Just Tires" and they refused to repair my tire, citing that BMW does not want its RFT to be repaired. They also verified with Dunlop that even though

As it turned out, lady luck called, BMWNA borrowed my car for emission testings and gave me a 750 to drive. I made sure that the nail was under the contact patch and can't be detected upon inspection. They took my car for 2 weeks. I thought they would find the nail and give me a new tire, since they're not supposed to fix flats.

2 weeks have passed and I got my car back. I immediately noticed that the puncture tire was the same one, but they've repaired the tire. There was a small chip on my wheel and tire that are exactly on the same place. I noticed that they've come apart by about 1/4" upon my car's return. So I know the tire was removed. Since there is no more flat warning, I assume they had repaired the hole.

Hahaha sneaky! Had BMW repaired it for you huh LOL

what else did they do with your car? did they give you a report?
Old 03-15-2006, 05:50 AM
Senior Members

Hi Streak,
Glad it happened while you were going slowly!
Old 03-15-2006, 06:13 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' post='254846' date='Mar 14 2006, 08:48 PM

Let me get this straight - you let them think they had punctured the tyre and then they fixed it without telling you.

I think their naughtiness cancels yours out
Old 03-15-2006, 08:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

I forgot one thing though, according to SIB36 02 05 (service buletin), BMW will not replace your tires under warranty if the tires were repaired. I was waiting for my tires to wear down a bit before I complain about my uneven tire wear. I am practicing my acting now on how to react when the dealer refuses to replace my tire under warranty; "HOW IS THIS REPAIR POSSIBLE? I NEVER HAD PUNCTURE BEFORE! I SWEAR I DID NOT REPAIR THIS TIRE." Do you think they'd buy it?

Another thing, the first class car wash that BMWNA promised as a token of appreciation for using my car, turned out to be a hoax. All I got was a "Bucket of water and rag" car wash. My car looks like a thousand cats ran over it. Lot's and lot's of fine scratches. Looks like $300 detailer polish is in sight..
Old 03-15-2006, 09:47 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by vern' post='254839' date='Mar 14 2006, 02:32 PM
I have never had it done but I understand they have a new type of plug that they put in dry,( with out glue), and once you ride on the tire and it gets warm the plug vulcanizes into the tire to seal it.
cheers
vern
Sounds good, vern, but did not realize that tires got hot enough to vulcanize rubber unless you were tracking the car. But, then I did a search and discovered that vulcanizing can now routinely done at room temperatures using new glues. Thanks for the info.